The non-navigable bits!

kayDee

Featured Posts

Hi all...

I've decided that a nice long cruise might be in order for summer if the weather permits. I've been planning routes on google earth to see what goes where and I'm a bit confused about all the bits of rivers that are non-navigable but appear to not be blocked off. I've been looking at the river trent and the calder and there are lots of bits that 'look' like if you were to head down them - you'd get stuck at little waterfalls and shallows. When you're actually out on those areas, are they in some way signposted (for want of a better word) so as to direct you where to go? There are little windy areas that lead you through locks, onto the river for a bit, then there is a fork in the river with another lock and no end of little ways you have to weave in and out of. This is all well and good planning the routes on google earth but when I'm actually there - things are going to look VERY different! For a start - I can't trace the stretches of water to see if they're blocked off or not (or lead nowhere) and I was a bit confused by it all really and how to plan a decent route without getting stuck or picking the wrong branch/fork and ending up somewhere completely different!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kay

x

The sections of navigable waterways are very well signposted on the Trent and the Ouse. The signs showing you which way to go are huge you really cant miss them.

Thanks for that - I was sure they would be but not having experienced rivers and the like, I was a bit worried!

I guess I need an anchor now too! :lol:

Kay

x

Ditto for the Calder, too. Nice large signs and barrages that you can't miss.

Thanks Chris - I bet this sounds like a really silly post to the majority and I apologise for that. I'm very 'green' to cruising yet!

:lol:

Kay

x

Thanks Chris - I bet this sounds like a really silly post to the majority and I apologise for that. I'm very 'green' to cruising yet!

Kay

x

Even the experienced get it wrong!

I've been trying to find the picture of Chris Coburn, stuck on the River Gipping Weir but it eludes me.

Even the experienced get it wrong!

I've been trying to find the picture of Chris Coburn, stuck on the River Gipping Weir but it eludes me.

I've seen some of those weirs and they look quite scary - not something you want to be faced with in a narrowboat! Well, any boat for that matter!

Kay

x

I too was a bit worried about moving onto a river system at first, but now I'm here (Great Ouse & Cam) its fine ... the weirs have got lovely big green barrages on them, the locks are big with plenty of space (albeit the lock moorings are tiny compared to the canals), the navigable channels are very clearly marked, the width of the river means that turning is easy at most places. You'd be best off buying a cruising guide though, because unlike the canals, the rivers don't always have a continuous towpath, so it'd help you pinpoint suitable moorings and facilities The biggest spoiler has been the amount of rain in recent summers which has meant that "strong stream" conditions are declared rather frequently, but its easy to check for these with the Environment Agency. But mostly .... Have fun ! :lol:

You just have to be a bit sensible on the rivers. Remember they have a flow, try and moor into the flow it is easier. Leave plenty of slack in your lines when moored, rivers can rise and fall very quickly (not a problem on floating pontoons). Leave plenty of time to find a suitable mooring, they can be few and far between in some places. Carry an anchor and make sure it is suitable for your boat and attached to your boat. Have plenty of chain for the anchor, you will need at least three times the depth of water for it to hold securly and safely.

Most of all make sure you enjoy yourself. It can be scary at first but get into the swing of it and enjoy.

Hi all...

I've decided that a nice long cruise might be in order for summer if the weather permits. I've been planning routes on google earth to see what goes where and I'm a bit confused about all the bits of rivers that are non-navigable but appear to not be blocked off. I've been looking at the river trent and the calder and there are lots of bits that 'look' like if you were to head down them - you'd get stuck at little waterfalls and shallows. When you're actually out on those areas, are they in some way signposted (for want of a better word) so as to direct you where to go? There are little windy areas that lead you through locks, onto the river for a bit, then there is a fork in the river with another lock and no end of little ways you have to weave in and out of. This is all well and good planning the routes on google earth but when I'm actually there - things are going to look VERY different! For a start - I can't trace the stretches of water to see if they're blocked off or not (or lead nowhere) and I was a bit confused by it all really and how to plan a decent route without getting stuck or picking the wrong branch/fork and ending up somewhere completely different!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kay

x

Google earth is a great tool to track routes but it can sometimes be deceptive. What looks like a waterfall or a set or shallows, mini-rapids etc are realy just sunlight reflecting off the surface. It's best to follow them with the relevant Nicholsons or Pearsons handy so you can see what is navigable and what is not. As other have mentioned the reality is usually that the correct route is well signposted so it would be difficult to lose your way!

Howard

Kay

x

Some of the locals may disagree, but I don't consider it's the same on all rivers.

Coming down the Soar last year, I recall a couple of places where the ways divided, maybe with a straight on, and a turn sharp left (or right) option.

It was not obvious, as both had boats down them, and no obvious end in sight.

In practice I guessed correctly each time this happened, and anyway, as there was clearly depth for a narrow boat either way, doubt I'd have got myself into too much trouble.

Don't ask why I didn't have Nicholson's on the roof in eaither example - I just didn't, O.K. ?

Oh yes, I should add that there was no signage of the route, in the cases mentioned, although there was widely at other junctions.

The Thames had several places where you could apparently go either side of an island, and wasn't always signed. Perhaps they only sign the ones where it matters, I don't know ?

Coming down the Soar last year, I recall a couple of places where the ways divided, maybe with a straight on, and a turn sharp left (or right) option.

Some 20-25 years ago, coming up the Soar, I took the same route as I had always done before and then discovered that during the winter they had re-modelled the river so that what had been the navigation channel the year before, now led only to the weir. There were no signs as the work was recently completed, and the channel was too narrow to wind, but as we were heading upstream the answer was simply to drop into neutral and let the current drift us back to the junction. It would have been more cpomplicated if we'd been travelling downstream.

But nowadays, as others have said, there are signs everywhere so it is very easy to find the right course, and almost all the weirs are protected from above by massive barriers

I've only been boating on three rivers. The signs on the River Avon are very clear indeed - LANT and UANT did a good job. The Severn was clear enough but then we only did Worcester to Tewkesbury and there isn't much need for signs on that stretch. The Soar Navigation is nowhere near as good with signs missing, damaged, dirty or badly positioned, or obscured by vegetation.

Mmmm, I'm still a bit spooked by rivers though... Really have a fear of getting stuck somewhere! :lol:

Kay

x

Well

FWIW, from our experience of rivers so far, (Severn, Soar, Thames, Lee, Stort, small part of Trent - and I suppose the Cherwell), it's no harder than canals. Easier really, as there is so much more water.

Signage was only a problem on the Soar, and then only two, or maybe three, times. With a Nicholson's open, you couldn't go wrong, even there.

The one thing I have learnt with our Thames trip is that if going downstream, whenever possible turn to point upstream when trying to moor. It can be a challenge trying to moor with the stream, (at least if you have no more power than we do).

Personally I'd not want to spend large amounts of time on the big rivers with manned locks. I find everything being done for you a bit boring, and was very glad to get back to the slog of all the locks on the Grand Union back up from London. Others will take the opposite view, of course, (which is why boating on that bit of the GU is seldom busy. :lol: )

Is it possible/necessary to turn upstream on the Soar to moor?

We shall be heading anti-clockwise round the Leicester ring in June.

Mike

Generally not necessary, and in many place (depending upon boat length), not even possible, I'd have thought. Much of it is only "canal width".

Sorry, I could have been clearer - we saw very little flow on the Soar, but were finding trying to pull up downstream on the Thames interesting. (Mind you, it's not even possible to turn between Osney Bridge and Osney Lock - our only serious "Thames learning experience" :lol: ).

I have no experience of these rivers in conditions of greater flow though, I'll freely admit.

How?

Probably because I've not done it yet. I 'dare' say I'll be wondering what the hell all the fuss was about once I've been there and done it!

Kay

x

Thanks for everyone's reassurance on the rivers. As I've just said - Once I've been on them and experienced them, I'll probably be fine. :lol:

Kay

x

We did Torksey to Nottingham and back last week on the Trent, Had a great time, not really too much to worry about, get some charts and don't the cut corners however tempting it may be. The non tidal sections are easier but again same applies. The river flows slowly on the inside of the bends and it drops silt so it can get really shallow. We have the added bonus of our boat being fitted with a depth sounder which really helped on some bits.

We did Torksey to Nottingham and back last week on the Trent, Had a great time, not really too much to worry about, get some charts and don't the cut corners however tempting it may be. The non tidal sections are easier but again same applies. The river flows slowly on the inside of the bends and it drops silt so it can get really shallow. We have the added bonus of our boat being fitted with a depth sounder which really helped on some bits.

Depth sounder? Sounds like a cool bit of kit - does it have a sensor that just hangs over the side of the boat into the water or is it a bit more technical than that?

Kay

x

Depth sounder? Sounds like a cool bit of kit - does it have a sensor that just hangs over the side of the boat into the water or is it a bit more technical than that?

Kay

x

Swmbo, on the bows, with the long shaft is more accurate than the depth sounder, when we're a bit late back and missed high tide.

Kay

x

You can get them that hang over the side or even handheld ones, mine has a sensor fitted through the hull though.

Avoid the Trent beyond Torksey and the Severn below Gloucester & Sharpness canal also the Yorkshire Ouse until you have a bit of experience other than those most rivers are pretty tame in the summer months

Where would you be starting from? where would you like to go? give us an idea of these and i'm sure we can give you some ideas for starter rivers to try out your new boat handling skills

Edited by hamsterfan