winding hole etiquette

lindylou

Featured Posts

Didn't expect replies to come in so quickly, thankyou. This tells me that I am not the only one who uses or has used this method of winding (or is it called ropping). I need to find somewhere this procedure is mentioned in writing, being a bit cagey with why I need this info, if you come up with something all will be revealed. Please keep posting replies to original question if you have used a rope before as this will still be helpful.

It's a good way of turning a big boat in a tight corner.

There were articles sometime ago in WW describing the old "strapping" tecniques.

I use the rope regularly.

eg1

In an overgrown and silted up winding hole, where bushes seriously overhang where the bow has to go it's easier to pull the stern around from the towpath side.

eg2

I have an awkward reverse entry into my berth which is close to a shallow and narrow basin entrance ( + often an "offshore" wind). Getting into my berth is made much easier when Madame nips onto the bank with a bow rope as we enter the basin.

As I reverse into the berth she keeps a bit of tension on the rope which stops the bow blowing out of line.

Didn't expect replies to come in so quickly, thankyou. This tells me that I am not the only one who uses or has used this method of winding (or is it called ropping). I need to find somewhere this procedure is mentioned in writing, being a bit cagey with why I need this info, if you come up with something all will be revealed. Please keep posting replies to original question if you have used a rope before as this will still be helpful.

Chris Deuchar covered it in Waterways World, he did two articles, one on using the engine to wind and one on roping the boat round. I can't remember which issues I'm afraid, but it was part of his better boating series. He made a valuable point in both techniques that what you need is rotational momentum, thus "spinning" the boat is more energy efficient than sticking the nose into the bank, and it is what I try to do. It is far more important with ropes to make the boat spin as although the engine has plenty of spare power, the human may not have.

It's a good way of turning a big boat in a tight corner.

There were articles sometime ago in WW describing the old "strapping" tecniques.

I use the rope regularly.

eg1

In an overgrown and silted up winding hole, where bushes seriously overhang where the bow has to go it's easier to pull the stern around from the towpath side.

eg2

I have an awkward reverse entry into my berth which is close to a shallow and narrow basin entrance ( + often an "offshore" wind). Getting into my berth is made much easier when Madame nips onto the bank with a bow rope as we enter the basin.

As I reverse into the berth she keeps a bit of tension on the rope which stops the bow blowing out of line.

We have used to ropes to turn the boat in the marina without the need to fire it up everytime we wash it and have also had to use the ropes to get her away from moorings when the wind has been blowing her in. We have found if we can get her rse out she reverses into the wind better than coming out forwards.

Yep!

- All depends on the winding hole, but sometimes even if you only 58ft it suddenly becomes at case 'do what ever the bloody hell works' and even if it doesnt quite reach that, a rope of the back end can save a hell of a lot of wasted propwash.

Daniel

Chris Deuchar covered it in Waterways World, he did two articles, one on using the engine to wind and one on roping the boat round. I can't remember which issues I'm afraid, but it was part of his better boating series. He made a valuable point in both techniques that what you need is rotational momentum, thus "spinning" the boat is more energy efficient than sticking the nose into the bank, and it is what I try to do. It is far more important with ropes to make the boat spin as although the engine has plenty of spare power, the human may not have.

Absolutely, I usually get the boat starting to spin and then step off the back with the rope and haul it round. However I recognise that some boats will be easier than others, our boat has very long swims and the bow sits much higher than the stern, offering far less resistance than some modern boats with short swims and which lie level in the water.

Edited by David Schweizer

One of the Canal Boat magazines described it as a method for winding which I intend to try. To be clear, it did mean walking on the towpath, not on the land around the winding hole.

Richard

One of the Canal Boat magazines described it as a method for winding which I intend to try. To be clear, it did mean walking on the towpath, not on the land around the winding hole.

Richard

I am interested to know how (or why) anyone would consider doing it the other way round. In my experience the indent of all winding holes in on the off side, where it tends to be fairly shallow. The deepest section is normally adjacent to the towpath, (although I have used some where a bit of dredgibng would not go amiss).

It therefore seems logical to me that the bow should be put into the hole, with the stern nearest to the towpath. Not only is this more efficient, it is also a great deal easier to get on or off the boat, if neccessary, from the stern than it is from the bow.

Edited by David Schweizer

In my experience the indent of all winding holes in on the off side, where it tends to be fairly shallow.

Most, I'll grant you, but not all.

In as much as it has an indent, (it's actually more a sweeping widening!), our home one at Cow Roast is on the towpath side, and boats would invariably turn with their stern to the non-towpath side. (Where to add excitement BW have always had permanent moorings - fortunately we had a pretty robust boat when we were in that spot!).

For those winding points involving the end of an arm, the same is often true - e,g. at Bulbourne, where again the front goes to the towpath side, and the back is swung around on the non-towpath side.

Some of the turning points down Watford / Cassiobury way are also best done with front to the towpath, IIRC.

....ego to get over, which insists he does it on his own despite wind, despite undredged snug winding holes and despite boat traffic trying to pass. ...

I have a 38 foot sailing yacht. When manoeuvring in close proximity to land, for example a marina pontoon mooring, like all other yotties the first thing you make sure of is that you have sufficient ropes bent on and, if possible, crew on shore to secure the yacht to cleats or to haul her round as necessary.

This is regarded as seamanlike and ego doesn't even enter the equation.

Edited by Aunty_Rinum

I have a 38 foot sailing yacht. When manoeuvring in close proximity to land, for example a marina pontoon mooring, like all other yotties the first thing you make sure of is that you have sufficient ropes bent on and, if possible, crew on shore to secure the yacht to cleats or to haul her round as necessary.

But on the inland canals there isnt such urgency for lines to be ready, Yes, On my old tub we had lines bent on fore and aft ready for moments notice and never left a berth without having to 'spring off' but all these manouvers were with the aid or hinderance of wind and or tide.

Swmbo breathed a sigh of relief when she first came on the canals and realised she didnt have to make a leap of faith to the bank to get that first line ashore.......step off and hold.

Ive never turned a Nb using lines but would be more than ready to deploy a line if the circumstances ever presented themselves...as the above states, Its good seamanship to have the required lines ready to deploy

I am interested to know how (or why) anyone would consider doing it the other way round.

I agree however, I responded to this:

Now, call me a suspicious old cynic, but I can't see how you wind really matters unless you are trying to do that is upsetting someone else - perhaps by excessive use of engine or by having to walk somewhere you shouldn't. I'm not sure what LindyLou wants to prove so I thought I would be clear with my post.

Richard

I agree however, I responded to this:

Now, call me a suspicious old cynic, but I can't see how you wind really matters unless you are trying to do that is upsetting someone else - perhaps by excessive use of engine or by having to walk somewhere you shouldn't. I'm not sure what LindyLou wants to prove so I thought I would be clear with my post.

Richard

I was agreeing with you, and I also agreee that how you do it is up to you, but the mess that some people get themselves into, thrashing backwards and forwards, is almost emarrasing.

Hi Aunty

I have also had a smidgeon of experience of sailing and agree with what you say about navigating nice shiny wooden or glassfibre yachts near horrible scratchy pontoons and other delicate vessels. My oh My I even confess I sometimes used to put soft little socks on my fenders (so the rough plastic would not scratch my delicate gell coat) as I so seamalike placed them correctly before coming alongside.

However if I was to navigate :lol: my steel, battle hardened , scratched narrowboat in the same way as I did my yachts I would probably be up on a manslaughter charge for all the people falling in the cut as they laughed their socks off. Either that or get hung up as my little fenders jammed on that rough nasty brickwork in one of those horrible narrow locks, or prehaps trip over my ropes that i have ashore round one of those nice new Bwb seamanlike bollards.

So I shan't be putting people ashore (a jump to the bank by my wife), or putting a rope on my rear dolly (so that i can trip over it or get it round my prop) or getting my crew(either Mr imaginary when Im single handed or my wife again) to pull 25 tons round with less than 6" under the bottom plate , or gently fending off and positioning fenders. No... No... No ...I have a plan! :lol:

No i'm afraid I will use rudder prop and wind where possible to spin 70 foot in the 69 foot that BWB give us as a modern winding hole. With a strong wind in the wrong direction and low water levels it may become a 3 point or more turn and it might take 5 minutes...but it will be safe, easy , and has never failed in 30 years .Who knows I may even get my fender muddy, nudge the bank, and scare a few fish. Now i would never try this in Lymington yacht haven....but thats horses for courses for you.

Now if someone else has an equaly good foolproof plan that involves ropes , people and muscles ...fantastic. Whatever works for you do it...

Splice the mainbrace, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum, :lol:

Chas

Winding hole etiquette?

Well from last efforts I think etiquette went completly out of the window!

More like bang, crash wallop as the wind took the boat and rammed us into the pilings. :lol:

Oh well time to look it up in a book I suppose, perhaps i'm not so good at skippering as I thought I was!

Annoying part about it was the last time I did a winding maneuveur it was a text book example (but of course no one was watching at the time)

Still could be worse, another boat approaching the bridge nearby managed to ram the abutment and bounce off the opposite side...... oh well.