Weed Cutter

Mick_B

Featured Posts

There was a guy brought out something that looked like a medieval war axe with a long handel for clearing your prop. Anyone remember what it was called or have a link to the product?

There was a guy brought out something that looked like a medieval war axe with a long handel for clearing your prop. Anyone remember what it was called or have a link to the product?

Bargee Bill's prop cleaner....?

I've not seen an ad recently though.

Any reviews from somebody who has first hand experience with them?

We were looking at one a year or so ago, but couldn't decide on that or the added work of removing the prop to fit one of those prop protectors that fit round the shaft on a permanent basis?

Any reviews from somebody who has first hand experience with them?

We were looking at one a year or so ago, but couldn't decide on that or the added work of removing the prop to fit one of those prop protectors that fit round the shaft on a permanent basis?

No need to remove the prop...

https://www.prop-protector.co.uk/index.php

Thanks for the link Hair Bear.

I do remember checking it out a couple of years ago now as although my parents boat has a weedhatch, it has no deck access to it, you need to access the weedhatch from inside of the boat so we did some investigation into this.

I can remember finding that with the smaller shafts you could get a clamp on cutter but with the larger shaft you'd need to actually slide it onto the shaft after removing the propellor.

It has probably changed now - either that or I got it wrong in the first place :lol:

Edited by Liam

jasus mick,have the weeds got that bad down your way allready or do ya need this implement for other activities?

jasus mick,have the weeds got that bad down your way allready or do ya need this implement for other activities?

:lol: Not yet Paul. Pierce (Spirit of Freedom) and our newest neighbour Willie (dutch barge "Liberty") don't have weed hatches. On our mass migration to Ardclough at easter Pierce picked up a fertiliser bag which proved stubborn to remove.

It looks like you could use one of these from the bank. Pity you couldn't make it by the way. It was a brilliant weekend.

Edit to say it would have been the first Irish banter..:lol:

Edited by Shinner

:lol: Not yet Paul. Pierce (Spirit of Freedom) and our newest neighbour Willie (dutch barge "Liberty") don't have weed hatches. On our mass migration to Ardclough at easter Pierce picked up a fertiliser bag which proved stubborn to remove.

It looks like you could use one of these from the bank. Pity you couldn't make it by the way. It was a brilliant weekend.

Edit to say it would have been the first Irish banter.. :lol:

I thought that the traditional weapon of choice for weedhatchless boats was a boat hook with the inside of the curved hook filed to a sharp edge.

Richard

I thought that the traditional weapon of choice for weedhatchless boats was a boat hook with the inside of the curved hook filed to a sharp edge.

Richard

Yes but these also have a cutting edge as well as a hook shaped blade. Having said that I don't know anyone who has used them so cannot say how effective they really are.

Anyone??

Yes but these also have a cutting edge as well as a hook shaped blade. Having said that I don't know anyone who has used them so cannot say how effective they really are.

Anyone??

Fair enough. I haven't used a sharpened boat hook or Bargee Bills war axe so I can't tell how either performs.

I'm a hands-down-the-weedhatch man.

Richard

It's nice to get intimate with your prop from time to time...