Satellite Communications and Internet access.

Seadragon

Featured Posts

I want to be able to use a laptop on board boat to send and receive e mails. Can someone please tell me which would be the best way of doing this. Do I need a freesat dish or can it be done with a connection to a mobile phone??

I think you'll find a lot of threads on this if you search the forum but I use the 3 Network 3G mobile system on a £10 a month deal. There are various ones from different networks including pay-as-you-go options. I have a USB 'dongle' for the laptop and plug it into a magnetic aerial that sits on the roof (from Boaters Phone Company who are good for advice as well). It's been generally ok though the speed/reception depends on the signal strength. Perfectly good enough for internet access and emailing plus I watched the Malaysian GP pretty much ok using it with only a few hiccups.

Seadragon

Welcome.

Advice as given, get a dongle, coverage can be sporadic just like phone coverage but as starman says aerials are available or even just an extension usb lead. (not waterproof though :lol: )

Personally I have Orange Link and when connected to 3+g it just as fast as my home broadband was.

Edit: Satellite internet is astronomical (sorry) in price and even then I believe a phone connection is required.

Edited by bottle

I think you'll find a lot of threads on this if you search the forum but I use the 3 Network 3G mobile system on a £10 a month deal. There are various ones from different networks including pay-as-you-go options. I have a USB 'dongle' for the laptop and plug it into a magnetic aerial that sits on the roof (from Boaters Phone Company who are good for advice as well). It's been generally ok though the speed/reception depends on the signal strength. Perfectly good enough for internet access and emailing plus I watched the Malaysian GP pretty much ok using it with only a few hiccups.

I use 3 mobile dongle on Pay as you go. If you register a credit card on the 3 site (takes about a week) you can 'top up your account'. I tend to put about £20 on it. If you then go to 'purchase add ons'...you can purchase a 1 month unlimited/fair usage top up for £5 . Towards the end of your month purchase another add on for £5 and it will be queued. Unlimited for £5/ month...but they don't tell a lot of peole about it !!.Bob

Hi

Depending on where you are, there might be a wireless hotspot near you that you can connect to?

I use THIS provider and they've been okay so far...

Kay

x

Their prices though are more expensive than simply getting a dongle for about a tenner a month, and their coverage not as great.

Chris

Wardrive, no, not really it's illegal.

Wardriving isn't illegal, it only becomes illegal if you actually use the internet signal you've detected and mapped.

It does seem a particularly pointless pastime, though, unless you are actually going to break the law.

Why buy a dongle when your mobile phone will connect to your computer? Mine will give me HSPA if I'm in the right area gprs if I'm not

Be very careful to check the costs of doing this. Some charge £'s per Megabyte to use your mobile. Read the small print very thoroughly or you will have a very big surprise bill. Don't use your mobile in this way unless you have a formal contract with your mobile phone company at agreed rates. Otherwise you will be stung big-time.

Also, if you are only getting HSPA, the speed won't be very high (maybe 300kbps). You can get 3G in tons of areas now and that will give you up to 2MB on a dongle. GPRS is OK (just) for emails but a PITA for any attachments as you are talking about 50kbps or less and is no good for surfing the web unless you have the whole day free.

Chris

Their prices though are more expensive than simply getting a dongle for about a tenner a month, and their coverage not as great.

Chris

I got the £99 for 12 months offer from them so I hope they do another similar offer once my contract is over.

We're really close to the hotspot so we've got a wireless bridge connected directly to them.

Kay

x

If you're close to a hotspot and don't move then it may be a good solution. Hoever they have very few hotspots and, if you decide to cruise, you will still need a dongle as well. So why not just get the dongle in the first place and have virtually full England coverage?

Chris

I use 3 mobile dongle on Pay as you go. If you register a credit card on the 3 site (takes about a week) you can 'top up your account'. I tend to put about £20 on it. If you then go to 'purchase add ons'...you can purchase a 1 month unlimited/fair usage top up for £5 . Towards the end of your month purchase another add on for £5 and it will be queued. Unlimited for £5/ month...but they don't tell a lot of peole about it !!.Bob

I thought you could only buy it £10/ 1GB /month lumps. The £5 unlimited sounds great. At the moment I am on contract but when that ends I shall br looking for Pay as you go