Rope!

Lady Muck

Featured Posts

Our mooring lines are on their last legs. We are thinking of buying a drum of rope as we know that our neighbouring boaters need new mooring lines as well.

So my question is 'what' 'how much' and 'who from' and they will have to deliver to our marina because we don't drive. Ours is a 57 footer and we seem to have some kind of white (well it was white once) synthetic rope at the moment.

Our mooring lines are on their last legs. We are thinking of buying a drum of rope as we know that our neighbouring boaters need new mooring lines as well.

So my question is 'what' 'how much' and 'who from' and they will have to deliver to our marina because we don't drive. Ours is a 57 footer and we seem to have some kind of white (well it was white once) synthetic rope at the moment.

Sharp and Enright are good for rope at sensible prices but their website isn't displaying prices at the moment not sure why. Normally they have options for per metre or per reel which is 220 metres :lol:

http://www.sharpandenright.co.uk/index.php...pe_by_the_metre

I'd use 14 or 16mm staplespun* polypropylene as it is sensible price and good strong stuff.

They also sell on Ebay as MarineBuzz:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MARINEBUZZ-Boating-Bits-Chandlery

* there is a big difference between staplespun polyprop (white and 'hairy') and split film polyprop (the cheap, usually blue, shiny rope) the former is strong the latter is weak. They are manufactured in a completely different way even though the basic material is the same.

I make my own fenders and splice all my mooring lines etc and have always used Trafalga Marine.

www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk

They give all their prices and do a delivery service.

Bob

I make my own fenders and splice all my mooring lines etc and have always used Trafalga Marine.

www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk

They give all their prices and do a delivery service.

Bob

excellent site, loads of choice. I like it.

I just found someone who sells 14mm Staplespun polyprop in Black

http://www.blackpigfenders.co.uk/10-metres...e-rope-84-p.asp

I've bought 220m rolls from Ropesandtwines.com and have had a very good service from them. Very good prices. Online ordering.

Their website is very informative on the properties and uses of the various types of rope. They sell natural fibre as well as man-made.

It's also worth looking at Flint Hire & Supply who are theatrical and marine chandlers, and stock a useful range, as well as assorted other interesting stuff.

Rick