Removing Evostick

Featured Posts

I am replacing the plywood "liners" inside the steel roof hatches on Daedalus - after 16 years they are starting to de-laminate.

They were stuck on with Evostick 528 and much of this remains firmly fixed to the primed steel. I need to get this off to level the surface before fixing the new liners.

Any suggestions as to how best to do this, before I start experimenting with different solvents, heat, etc.?

Thanks

Chris G

Cellouse thinners will softenit slowly then try to scrape off with a good sharp edged scraper.

This stuff can be a nightmare and in the past I've resorted to paint stripper to remove it which worked well on a painted surface. Don't envy you this job at all especially if originally applied with a nothced trowel as it tends to be quite thick.

Many years ago when I did some decorating for a contractor at a hospital. I had to get loads of this off a slice room that had been clad half wiy up with Marley tiles.

Paint stripper did the job.

Biggles

You used to be able to buy a product called, (quite literallY), "Evo Stick Remover".

I'm guessing you can't any more ?

Ha! Yes you can....if you look in the right place.

I had not found it at a few on-line places I have been looking at for buying the new glue, then today I walked into VAH and they had about 20 tins on the shelf.

Expensive (if you want to make your own, it is Heptane and Naptha), but I will try and see if it is a feasible (and affordable) solution before reverting to other solvents - starting with petrol. Nice smell, though.

Thanks to others for your suggestions.

Chris G

Ha! Yes you can....if you look in the right place.

I had not found it at a few on-line places I have been looking at for buying the new glue, then today I walked into VAH and they had about 20 tins on the shelf.

Expensive (if you want to make your own, it is Heptane and Naptha), but I will try and see if it is a feasible (and affordable) solution before reverting to other solvents - starting with petrol. Nice smell, though.

Thanks to others for your suggestions.

Chris G

Hope all goes well - if VAH don't stock a product it's not made! it's a veritable tardis for Hardware and 'goodies' A bit old for solvent abuse aren't you!

ATB

Mike