Current BW workboats

County4x4

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any links to sources of detailed information concerning the current BW workboat fleet? They have a certificate inside with some basic details like build date and dimensions etc, but I wondered if anything more detailed was available.

Many of the workboats up on the Lancaster Canal were built back in the 70's, and I wonder if they will come to be regarded as "classics" in the same way as buses and other commercial vehicles from the same era are - and whether a number will pass into private ownership to be restored to their original "glory"? Or will they just quietly be withdrawn and carted off to a scrap dealers to be broken up?

Personally, I think these lowly craft have a special charm all of their own, though I realise I may be in something of a minority! Is there anyone else about of a similar mind? And are there any already "preserved" by private owners? BW are apparently moving towards another disposal of boats that don't come up to some modern standards - though whether these are safety or staff welfare standards I don't know - they even have to meet noise levels these days!

Anyway - if anyone has any info, or details of any privately owned craft of this type, I'd be very interested to hear from them.

Apologies if this isn't the best section for this post - mods please feel free to move it if necessary.

Cheers all,

Andy

Some-one else was asking similar questions not so long ago. It may seem strange to view them as future historic craft, but then it's only a matter of time.

Other than that, there is something to be said in favour of hull shapes that are sympathetic to hydrodynamics as older built craft were, when such things mattered, there was a pride in craftsmanship, and labour was comparatively cheap. A great hunk of ramp ended steel box is a bit challenging aesthetically. I hear they sink quite well.

Suggest you try the individual BW section offices for more detail.

There was a chap Aylesbury way back in the eighties that used a ramp ended punt to load his little Citroen on. Used to tow it around when boating. It ended up as the ACS work punt, though it may not have been ex-BW.

Derek

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any links to sources of detailed information concerning the current BW workboat fleet? They have a certificate inside with some basic details like build date and dimensions etc, but I wondered if anything more detailed was available.

Many of the workboats up on the Lancaster Canal were built back in the 70's, and I wonder if they will come to be regarded as "classics" in the same way as buses and other commercial vehicles from the same era are - and whether a number will pass into private ownership to be restored to their original "glory"? Or will they just quietly be withdrawn and carted off to a scrap dealers to be broken up?

Personally, I think these lowly craft have a special charm all of their own, though I realise I may be in something of a minority! Is there anyone else about of a similar mind? And are there any already "preserved" by private owners? BW are apparently moving towards another disposal of boats that don't come up to some modern standards - though whether these are safety or staff welfare standards I don't know - they even have to meet noise levels these days!

Anyway - if anyone has any info, or details of any privately owned craft of this type, I'd be very interested to hear from them.

Apologies if this isn't the best section for this post - mods please feel free to move it if necessary.

Cheers all,

Andy

Back in 2002 British Waterways Board gave me access to their floating assett details. These include the assett number (normally a five figure number written on the boat in weld), boat name, acquisition date, division where based e.t.c.. I have also acquired the index number (normally displayed on a pressed aluminium number plate) of each British Waterways Board boat for the purpose of cross reference. I also have some specific details retrieved from various archives and private collections on many of the maintenance craft both still with us and those that are now disposed of (sold or scrapped).

Clearly you are not alone in your interest of canal maintenance boats.

Some-one else was asking similar questions not so long ago. It may seem strange to view them as future historic craft, but then it's only a matter of time.

Other than that, there is something to be said in favour of hull shapes that are sympathetic to hydrodynamics as older built craft were, when such things mattered, there was a pride in craftsmanship, and labour was comparatively cheap. A great hunk of ramp ended steel box is a bit challenging aesthetically. I hear they sink quite well.

Suggest you try the individual BW section offices for more detail.

There was a chap Aylesbury way back in the eighties that used a ramp ended punt to load his little Citroen on. Used to tow it around when boating. It ended up as the ACS work punt, though it may not have been ex-BW.

Derek

It was a wooden construction and was towed by Willy No Name (the first I think). It eventually rotted out and ACS replaced it with a steel version. The steel version was towed from Roger Farringtons by a memeber with a Josher who reported that it spent most of the trip from Braunston under water, emerging every time he slowed down. I have towed both the original plywood version and the steel copy and neither could be described as a swimmer. The steel version is still in Aylesbury and is very useful for those offside jobs.

N

It was a wooden construction and was towed by Willy No Name (the first I think). It eventually rotted out and ACS replaced it with a steel version. The steel version was towed from Roger Farringtons by a memeber with a Josher who reported that it spent most of the trip from Braunston under water, emerging every time he slowed down. I have towed both the original plywood version and the steel copy and neither could be described as a swimmer. The steel version is still in Aylesbury and is very useful for those offside jobs.

N

'Willy No Name' - that was it!! Some characters down the arm. I remember Peter and Peggy fondly. And Bill Snowdon and Fred are still around, steer Pacific a lot now.

Thanks for the reminder.

Derek

'Willy No Name' - that was it!! Some characters down the arm. I remember Peter and Peggy fondly. And Bill Snowdon and Fred are still around, steer Pacific a lot now.

Thanks for the reminder.

Derek

I remeber Peggy. Didn't she have an old english sheep dog? And Fran (with another dog, small brown and tan thing).

Gwen and Earnie too. Their boat was up for sale again recently.

The main thing I remember about Aylesbury was lying on the roof of the boat at night and watching the planes lights going overhead. Funny what little things you remember.

Edited by Satellite

Hi all,

And are there any already "preserved" by private owners?

I know of two that have found there way into preservation so far.

One is called HAPTON and is a tug which used to moor at Fools Nook on the Macc. The other is a short open front workflat, I think the name is SPIDER.

George ex nb Alton retired

I remeber Peggy. Didn't she have an old english sheep dog? And Fran (with another dog, small brown and tan thing).

Gwen and Earnie too. Their boat was up for sale again recently.

The main thing I remember about Aylesbury was lying on the roof of the boat at night and watching the planes lights going overhead. Funny what little things you remember.

Ah! - The Peggy and Peter's dog was a Boxer called 'Bosun' (at least I think it was called Bosun?). Can't remember Roger and Fran's.

Went buttying to Chester with the 'Gwernies'. I remember hanging off a plank at water level, cutting bits of rope off his prop at the BCM. It's strange, but I can't remember the name of their boat - spot it a mile off though.

The BCN Society have a workboat on the BW style, commissioned and built for them though it's not ex-BW. Line drawing and story here:

http://www.bcn-society.co.uk/workboat.php Dave Moore painted it up, and they scratch it off with mud and shopping trolleys :lol: Well, it is a work boat!

Derek

The BCN Society have a workboat on the BW style, commissioned and built for them though it's not ex-BW.

Derek

They also have a similar, original Ex BW workboat, that they use in a push-tow configaration with the above new build. It is slightly modified/shortened so they can passage BCN locks as one.

Ah! - The Peggy and Peter's dog was a Boxer called 'Bosun' (at least I think it was called Bosun?). Can't remember Roger and Fran's.

Went buttying to Chester with the 'Gwernies'. I remember hanging off a plank at water level, cutting bits of rope off his prop at the BCM. It's strange, but I can't remember the name of their boat - spot it a mile off though.

The BCN Society have a workboat on the BW style, commissioned and built for them though it's not ex-BW. Line drawing and story here:

http://www.bcn-society.co.uk/workboat.php Dave Moore painted it up, and they scratch it off with mud and shopping trolleys :lol: Well, it is a work boat!

Derek

Peggy and Peter's dog was indeed a boxer called Bosun. Can't remember Fran's dog- a German Shepherd maybe? Gwernies boat is (was) Iona. Ernie had a proper marine FR3 at the stern with a bent middle rod after he was a bit too enthusiastic with the priming. They are now on the bank in deepest Devon and their son has a 'proper boat' at Falmouth (something like an Oyster boat) while daughter is continuously cruising.

N

Oh ye I remember the boxer now. I was terrified of it as a child! So who had the old english sheep dog - or did i dream that?

I saw Ernie quite by chance a couple of years ago. He was on a hire boat and as they cruised passed I could hear them talking about Mary Gibby and Swan. Needless to say I butted in and said hi. Small world.

Hi all,

Just a quick line to say thanks very much for all the responses - should have known I could rely on you guys! I had visions of having to search for a suitable "tumbleweed" emoti-thingy after a day or two, but you came up trumps :lol: The BCN link was particularly interesting.

Anyway, I will carry on looking out for an unloved craft to take on - at least one of the boats on the Lancaster has been condemned due to having asbestos onboard somewhere - I've not been onboard to check it out but it may just be something as simple as fireproof boarding behind the Epping stove. We will see.

Thanks again for all your input so far!

Cheers all,

Andy

Oh ye I remember the boxer now. I was terrified of it as a child! So who had the old english sheep dog - or did i dream that?

Sounds like you've been watching paint adverts. Do you remember the Labrador pup who ran around with a bit of paper . . . ?

Seriously - Can't remember an OES, though there might have been. German Shepherds seem to be a favourite for a while. Val and Tony had a few (one particularly nasty one that didn't last long), Vic Harman had one (or maybe two), Roger and Fran, and a couple more would arrive when Comet called in. John had Domino Terrier cross, we had Bert and Elsa - Terrier X & Bull Mastiff X, and Trevor had a little black thing. There was another that used to fight everything on legs - seem to remember it was locked in mortal combat once with something, and the pair got chucked in the basin - they carried on fighting under water. Sue brought along her two Border Collies - pups then. But Peggy and Bosun were the real characters. They were very similar in some ways - stood no nonsense and spoke their minds. Peter was lovely too, quiet and exact in his work with a dry wit, a good mechaninc/engineer. There was also any number that walked theirs along the towpath toilet too - non-boaters that is.

There's a story in a book I recently read (forgot which one - situation normal) it was at Sutton's I think. Kids are chucking sticks in for the dog to jump in and fetch out. Then a little girl fell in off a counter. Dog jumps in and fetches her out - just another stick, but saved her.

Sorry Andy - we've drifted a bit! The issue over asbestos might well give you an advantage. I've handled it lots of times, just need to be careful especially when cutting and drilling, but effin safety throw a wobbly if it's half a mile away.

Derek

PS I wonder if Beryl had an OES? Poyle that is.

Edited by Derek R.

Sorry Andy - we've drifted a bit! The issue over asbestos might well give you an advantage. I've handled it lots of times, just need to be careful especially when cutting and drilling, but effin safety throw a wobbly if it's half a mile away.

Derek

Hi Derek,

That was rather what I was hoping to be honest! As you rightly say, handled correctly there should be no problems at all - it's only when breaking it up or attacking it with a wire brush or something else that will release fibres that you're taking any particular risk. If it's just a couple of panels acting as fire board behind the stove, then I reckon a damp down with a water spray and then careful removal should do the trick. As you also said - H&S would probably want a half mile exclusion zone, negative pressure containment etc etc, and a bill for a lot more than the boat cost to build in the first place!

I'm working on a seasonal contract for BW at the moment, and I've never known an outfit so wrapped up in safety. While this is perhaps a good thing in many ways, and while their employees would never get any hassle from bosses for refusing to do anything slightly dodgy, I do think that there are times when it does hamper work getting done somewhat. I've worked with dangerous machinery for much of my life and there has generally been a "git 'er done" attitude at times. I do think there should still be room for a little common sense to be applied to be honest - whereas H&S often seems to take a point to the "N"th degree and make a job either very difficult or extremely long winded. Anyway, enough rambling! I've found out who to speak to now and will compose something suitable for him and just hope that he is not totally hamstrung by official lines and policies dictated from above!

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers for now,

Andy