Grill won't stay lit!

kayDee

Featured Posts

Hi all...

When I try and light the gas grill, I hold the knob in ( :lol: ) and then light the gas. When I release the knob ( :lol: ) - it goes out again straight away. I know you have to keep it pressed in for about 5 seconds (like the oven and hob) but it wont stay lit. Have I killed it?

Kay

x

Do you think its something that a domestic gas engineer would know about? What I mean is - its not narrowboat specific is it?

Kay

x

No

Not sure if that means "No, it's not something that a domestic gas engineer would know about" or "No, its not narrowboat specific".

[EDIT: To apologise to Chris _ I had failed to notice that he had snipped just the uestion he was actually answering. :lol: )

Either way, I'm led to believe that a gas engineer who is registered only for domestic work, without LPG and/or boat certification may well not be prepared to come and work on a boat appliance.

A friendly boatyard might, though......

Edited by alan_fincher

Not sure if that means "No, it's not something that a domestic gas engineer would know about" or "No, its not narrowboat specific". :lol:

Either way, I'm led to believe that a gas engineer who is registered only for domestic work, without LPG and/or boat certification may well not be prepared to come and work on a boat appliance.

A friendly boatyard might, though......

It's perfectly clear what I mean because I edited Kay's questions to answer a single specific point above my answer. :lol:

It's perfectly clear what I mean because I edited Kay's questions to answer a single specific point above my answer. :lol:

You are quite correct of course, my apologies.

By the time I had it as a quote, I failed to spot that.

I must try harder, but it will be interesting to learn who is prepared to work on it.

From what I was told about likely costs of someone to work on a Morco, I concluded tat replacing it may well not be a lot more expensive! :lol:

When our cooker failed 18 months ago, I couldn't find ANYBODY who was prepared to work on it.

Boatyard CORGIs refused to touch it because it was a domestic LPG cooker which they didn't recognise as being suitable for boats (it met all the regulations but wasn't on any of their lists), and all other CORGIs we asked said they couldn't touch it because it was on a boat.

The manufacturers (New World) sent us an engineer who was certified to work on cookers in houses and caravans but not boats. He was very good, he said he wasn't allowed to touch it but he could advise us that IF it had been in a caravan he would have been able to advise us that it was no longer repairable.

Our new cooker, also a New World, is due to have a safety modification under their recent recall notice. The engineer is due to arrive in 2 days time; I wonder if it will be the same person as before?

Thanks for everyone's help. Will have a word with the local boatyard and see what they suggest.

Can it fail a BSC with that bit not working or do they only check the cooker for leaks?

Kay

x

Can it fail a BSC with that bit not working or do they only check the cooker for leaks?

Kay

x

Well we have at least two BSS examiners on here, so hopefully they can give a definitive answer.

I've a feeling they could fail it, because they light everything to see if the flame pattern and colour is correct.

If they can't test it, they may say they can't pass it, I'm not sure ?

Well we have at least two BSS examiners on here, so hopefully they can give a definitive answer.

I've a feeling they could fail it, because they light everything to see if the flame pattern and colour is correct.

If they can't test it, they may say they can't pass it, I'm not sure ?

Mmm.... Makes sense I suppose... You just have to keep it held in, which can be boring when grilling certain things...

That was a joke, I've not really stood there holding it in while I was cooking... :lol:

Kay

x

Mmm.... Makes sense I suppose... You just have to keep it held in, which can be boring when grilling certain things...

That was a joke, I've not really stood there holding it in while I was cooking... :lol:

Kay

x

get the duct tabe out, it will be ok.

Credit crunch repairs "r" us :lol:

use a mirror to look up.

Ah yes... Good idea. Will have to do it with it lit though so I can see if the little thing is in the flame. I've seen the oven one and I know how it should be positioned. If that fails, I'll have to look at getting a new cooker I think - its quite old and a bit tired anyway - like me! Ha!

Kay

x

Ah yes... Good idea. Will have to do it with it lit though so I can see if the little thing is in the flame. I've seen the oven one and I know how it should be positioned. If that fails, I'll have to look at getting a new cooker I think - its quite old and a bit tired anyway - like me! Ha!

Kay

x

When the grill went on our almost 20 year old boat cooker we knew it was time to get a new one. We have a lovely one now and it's even shiny silver and certified as being ok for boats. We should even sail through our next BSC without any warnings for ventilation too as new cookers are much more efficient and safer.

D

forget the grill , what happening with your stockings , is the tickle line still dropping.

They had to go gaggle, sorry about that...

Kay

x

When the grill went on our almost 20 year old boat cooker we knew it was time to get a new one. We have a lovely one now and it's even shiny silver and certified as being ok for boats. We should even sail through our next BSC without any warnings for ventilation too as new cookers are much more efficient and safer.

D

Mmmm, thinking about getting a new one rather than try and fix this one.

It is old, there is no denying that - it might just give us problem after problem now...

Kay

x

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all...

When I try and light the gas grill, I hold the knob in ( :lol: ) and then light the gas. When I release the knob ( :lol: ) - it goes out again straight away. I know you have to keep it pressed in for about 5 seconds (like the oven and hob) but it wont stay lit. Have I killed it?

Kay

x

I has the same problem and was wondering how to fix it when a friendly visitor had a look and just adjusted the position of the thermocouple. It has worked like a dream ever since. Hope you got it fixed.

I has the same problem and was wondering how to fix it when a friendly visitor had a look and just adjusted the position of the thermocouple. It has worked like a dream ever since. Hope you got it fixed.

This sounds very much as 'matty' above suggests.

The flame failure device is doing its job. Sometimes it has been knocked out of place by a carelessly handled grill pan, sometimes a fire or spitting fat has coated/covered the sensor, (Not necessarly a thermo-couple) but more often than not it is a blocked or slightly blocked jet not allowing the flame close enough to the flame sensor.

As it is the BSS examiner should fail it. Even having failed 'safely' it has still failed and it is a probability that a user might 'over ride' this safety device by say taping the control knob down.(as suggested in an earlier post) It is then unsafe. The examiner also will not be able to check the flame for correct burning, which also may be the cause of the problem

Please do not use the grill until it is repaired.

It is not my job as a BSS examiner to check up on who did your repair work, only that it is a safe installation.

Edited to correct typo

Edited by Radiomariner

My girlfriends grill broke the other day. The problem was caused by a little vent being closed. This vent is right at the back of the grill inside the oven. It is wrapped around the gas inlet pipe.

Have a poke at the back of the grill to see if there is a little sliding vent and play with it.