Redirected mail

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

We were worried as to why we have never received confirmation from the DVLA regarding our old MGB GT when we made the statutory off-road declaration. A phone call to the DVLA today produced some disturbing information: Apparently the registration documents were sent to our old address just after we sold the house - this shouldn't have been a problem because we paid the Royal Mail to re-direct our post for two years.

But, according to the helpful lady at DVLA, Royal Mail are not allowed to re-direct items sent from national and local government departments - they can only be delivered to the address on the envelope or returned to the sender. Therefore, the registration document was returned to the DVLA. OK, so I asked, "how do I notify you of my new address?" and was told "there is a form to complete on the registration document" - "but I haven't got the registration document - you have" I said and offered to provide my new address so that it could be posted to me but, apparently, they can only accept details of a change of address if I complete the form on the registration document and that can only be posted to the registered address already on there!

:lol:

After some considerable time and more filling in of forms and declarations, we are hopeful that the situation regarding the car's registration has been resolved but what about other scenarios when you are moving away from a permanent address - what if you have a notification from the tax office that you are due a refund? What if you have won on the Premium Bonds? If your post is being redirected or forwarded to you by Royal Mail, you may never know . . .

Don't get me started on the DVLA....

My parents moved to a house in Wales that is 1.5 miles off the road down a track so has no number or road name, just a house name, district, post town and postcode. They moved in and notified DVLA of the change of address. Dad notices that DVLA have the wrong postcode so writes and tells them. They reply thanking him, and again address the reply wrongly.

Things come to a head when the SORN reminder doesn't arive for an old car in storage and a couple of months later a fine of £80 drops through his door.

It transpires their house name translates as 'Beyond the Road', and is apparently a common name for remote properties in Wales. There are three properties on their postman's route that differ in postcode alone..... The regular postman gets to know his patch by customer names and can spot the mistakes but reliefs just deliver to door as addressed/dictated by the law.

The Welsh equivalent of the Watchdog TV series takes up the story, but the DVLA insist the reminders are a courtesy service only and it is the registered keepers responsibility to remember to SORN the vehicle..... However, the DVLA finally accepted that their might be more than one remote house in dad's part of Wales named 'Beyond the Road'.

Changed address on vehicle documents.

Forgot licence.

Two years later (now) reminder that my 'photo licence' is about to expire was sent to my new address.

Now :lol: don't get me started on HMRC and income tax.

The DVLA computer system is an example of technology at its best though. It couldn't be easier to tax your car than it is now. The system works and works well which is good in an age where people are blaming computer systems for all kind of cock ups.

The Royal Mail seem to redirect some things but not others to us too. They often send non-government things to the original address. It just happens that our old landlord has been kind enough to collect the stuff they've posted there and takes it to my parent's house. It really bugs me this, as I've paid for a service from them! Fair enough, if they're unable to redirect official stuff then so be it but it does worry me that other stuff slips through the net! Oh well... Rant over... :lol:

Kay

x

The DVLA computer system is an example of technology at its best though. It couldn't be easier to tax your car than it is now. The system works and works well which is good in an age where people are blaming computer systems for all kind of cock ups.

But you wouldn't be able to tax the car online/by phone if the address on DVLAs computer was different to the address on your credit/debit card......

But you wouldn't be able to tax the car online/by phone if the address on DVLAs computer was different to the address on your credit/debit card......

As someone who makes credit card sales daily I would like to point out that you don't need the cardholders address in order to process the transaction. You don't even need the three digits of the security code. If there is any dispute then you are more likely to lose if you haven't got these. Last time I taxed the car I used my works credit card which has a different address to the one that the car is registered to.

If you remember that your always wrong when it comes to the DVLA you wont be disappointed. In the case of vehicle ownership it is your responsibility to notify them of change of address if you don't trying to resolve matters after the fact can be a nightmare. Equally it is a motoring offence not to have your driving licence details at your current address not the one you left five years ago! 3 points for speeding can add up to 6 if your licence isn't up to date. I always insist that the customer sends the log book off to the DVLA advising of change of ownership because if I did it and the log book went missing its always my fault not the DVLA! On the plus side if everything is in order taxing a vehicle is a doddle compared to a few years ago as previously stated.

We were worried as to why we have never received confirmation from the DVLA regarding our old MGB GT when we made the statutory off-road declaration. A phone call to the DVLA today produced some disturbing information: Apparently the registration documents were sent to our old address just after we sold the house - this shouldn't have been a problem because we paid the Royal Mail to re-direct our post for two years.

But, according to the helpful lady at DVLA, Royal Mail are not allowed to re-direct items sent from national and local government departments - they can only be delivered to the address on the envelope or returned to the sender. Therefore, the registration document was returned to the DVLA. OK, so I asked, "how do I notify you of my new address?" and was told "there is a form to complete on the registration document" - "but I haven't got the registration document - you have" I said and offered to provide my new address so that it could be posted to me but, apparently, they can only accept details of a change of address if I complete the form on the registration document and that can only be posted to the registered address already on there!

After some considerable time and more filling in of forms and declarations, we are hopeful that the situation regarding the car's registration has been resolved but what about other scenarios when you are moving away from a permanent address - what if you have a notification from the tax office that you are due a refund? What if you have won on the Premium Bonds? If your post is being redirected or forwarded to you by Royal Mail, you may never know . . .

This isn't a very widely used service, and is used by DWP, some councils for housing benefit, and DVLA.

All items that cannot be redirected are clearly identified by green chevron markings on the envelope.

You're having a f*cking laugh.

I've been trying to tax my recently purchased car for the last fortnight. Don't have a tax reminder with a reference number, but I do have the V5. I also have the MOT certificate and an e-mailed insurance certificate.

Enter the V5 number as requested, system declines it. The text suggests that this is because the car is newly registered. Well, it's been in my name and insured for at least two weeks, and the MOT dates from September, so why should this be? The DVLA already know it's my car.

Phone up the DVLA - can you tell me when the system will update? No, don't know. You can tax it at a Post Office but you'll need the original insurance certificate - an e-mailed one won't suffice. [This is not a good option for me as I work away from home, so a certificate sent through the post will need to be forwarded on - could take a week. And how on earth are they going to tell if I've printed the e-mailed one off, if the cert is a black and white design in the first place? Furthermore, does the means of communication really matter? What's wrong with a fax or e-mail?].

Can you give me the car tax reference number to enter on the system instead? Ooh no, couldn't possibly do that. You'll have to tax it at the Post Office. [What harm would giving out that number do? The worst that might happen is that someone else pretending to be me might phone up and tax my car. The DVLA would benefit and so would I. Where's the problem there?].

Nowhere on the web page does it suggest that it might not be possible to tax newly purchased cars - you have to waste your time filling in all of the details and THEN it tells you. Nowhere does it say how long it takes for the system to update to reflect recent changes. The staff are unhelpful and the whole thing is deeply "systems orientated" - i.e. fine if your query is routine, but hopeless if any thinking is required.

Most organisations are keen to take your money. I've spent the last fortnight or so trying to persuade the DVLA to take mine.

I bet if I drove it anyway they'd bloody soon get upset.

The only good news is that they've been wasting my time for so long that I shall wait until April now, so that's cost them a month. And I'll be paying by cheque.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the DVLA website doesn't accept the most common form of payment - Visa debit card.

The only reason their website technology looks good is because the alternative is dealing with Post Office Counters, one of the most soul-destroying experiences known to Man.

• 1 month later...

The best on option at the moment is much the same service as we offer, redirected mail..to a post offce as near as dammit to your moorings. you have all your mail re-directed to a company like our's post office box number and, depending on how frequentlyyou want it we send it on to a post office of your choice, its quite simple and doesnt cost a lot, plus you can choos to move the delivery post office as you move along so you can interept your letters as you cruise! by the way im not touting for customers here just thought id explain the option to you.

You're having a f*cking laugh.

I've been trying to tax my recently purchased car for the last fortnight.

P.S. Forgot to mention that the DVLA website doesn't accept the most common form of payment - Visa debit card.

The only reason their website technology looks good is because the alternative is dealing with Post Office Counters, one of the most soul-destroying experiences known to Man.

Sorry but I have taxed my car online for the last 3 years and always use Visa debit card.

• 2 weeks later...

The DVLA is not the only organisation with a problem .We recently received several requests to renew our tv licence.After several phone calls we had an apologetic call from the investigations dept.who found out that their computer could not handle the fact that there are lots of residential licences at Sawley.We had 35 tv licences with Silkstream as their address.Wish I'd never bothered getting one in the first place

Most organisations are keen to take your money. I've spent the last fortnight or so trying to persuade the DVLA to take mine.

I bet if I drove it anyway they'd bloody soon get upset.

The only good news is that they've been wasting my time for so long that I shall wait until April now, so that's cost them a month. And I'll be paying by cheque.

I don't know this to be true, but, I think they'll charge you from when the last tax disc expired unless you have declared it SORN.