4 / 5 week trip

stickleback

Featured Posts

Hi. I'm trying to plan a trip of 4 weeks - with an extra in case of any reason to stay longer! Quite like the idea of getting to London and perhaps spending a week in Paddington basin - does it need to be booked i advance? Are there many safe places where there is a reasonable chance of finding moorings? (I'm thinking of end of April, early to mid May).

From London either up to Bishop Stortford and back north, or possibly going up the Thames to Oxford and back via the Oxford canal. BUT - the Thames! After reading about the floods etc last year it seems a potential problem! Enough, almost, to cause nightmares! The idea of mooring and then finding massive floods overnight is dreadful! I haven't yet been on a river...

But I do favour London... all advice gratefully heeded!

Stickleback

No concept of booking at either Paddington basin or Little Venice, the two main moorings in that area.

It's kind of pot luck, but we have always found something.

People are quite amenable to breasting up at LV, but I believe it's forbidden in the basin - daft as there is bags of room. Also don't try tying to anything but the provided, (and poorly thought out) rings. :lol:

A search of the forum will find a lot more information on mooring in London - much of which we found invaluable. There are alternatives, but if you want to actually visit London the moorings around the Paddington area take some beating. I gather actually getting on visitor moorings near Camden Lock is virtually a no no.

The River Stort is a delight, but by all accounts going the whole way to Bishops Stortford is a big disappointment. People seem to much prefer Hertford on the Lee, but you should see at least some of the Stort, (time forced us to turn at Sawbridgeworth, and by all accounts we had seen the best bits by then). There are some pretty low bridges, by the way.

You don't need to book Paddington Basin in advance. We were glad to stay for only a couple of nights only though; we used to live in London but after the peace of the countryside, there were just so many people that we couldn't stand it! Also the dogs hated Paddington Basin (a long walk to the nearest grass, with their legs crossed, first thing in the morning)

You needn't fear the Thames. It doesn't rise that quickly, it is very unlikely to catch you by surprise and the lock keepers will give you plenty of advice, and advance warning of any problems, and even find you somewhere safe to moor if you want it. During the summer it very rarely floods anyway; most times when we've been on the river mid-summer there has been less flow on it than there is on the Llangollen canal.

It's a lovely easy river. You can get quite used to having someone else do all the hard work at the locks while you just stand there holding a rope. If you have time, don't neglect the stretch above Oxford to Lechlade, it is just beautiful.

Go for it, and have a great time!

Paddington does not need to be booked, no, but personally, I don't like Paddington, (to me, it's an ugly modern concrete jungle with alot of traffic noise) I prefer Camden it's a five minute walk to the supermarket and the town centre is close too. If it's full (it often is, but we usually manage to get a space) turn round above Hampstead Road locks and come back to Paddington. No worries about security at either place - security guards at Paddington and (when the mooring warden remembers to), the moorings at Camden are locked at night so it is very quiet.

Do try to get up to Hertford on the Lee if you can - we've just spent three days near there. Lovely little town.

Also the dogs hated Paddington Basin (a long walk to the nearest grass, with their legs crossed, first thing in the morning)

Another reason to moor in Camden - five mins towpath walk to either Primrose Hill or Regents Park - our dog loves it when we moor there - he likes to hobnob with all the posh dogs. :lol:

Edited by Lady Muck

Thanks for the encouraging replies - sounds quite "do-able"! I love the idea of the Thames above Oxford too. I've printed out an itinerary from Canalplan. My worry is getting to Paddington or Camden and no mooring places! Still, I think we'll try it!

Thanks all.

Stickleback

Thanks for the encouraging replies - sounds quite "do-able"! I love the idea of the Thames above Oxford too. I've printed out an itinerary from Canalplan. My worry is getting to Paddington or Camden and no mooring places! Still, I think we'll try it!

Thanks all.

Stickleback

We have never failed to get a mooring at Little Venice/Paddington but I wouldn't plan on getting a mooring at Camden, (or anywhere on the Regents except Limehouse!)

Please do the Thames - it is a stunning river!

Tim

All this about anchors is rather putting me off!!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=20809

At least for now - though it does sound so lovely. I'm going to have to look at my Nicholson's and see what options I have for 4 / 5 weeks! Perhaps London, Lee and Stort? But passing Hampton Court, etc etc, really appeals.

Stickleback

edited for spelling!

Edited by stickleback

We have never failed to get a mooring at Little Venice/Paddington but I wouldn't plan on getting a mooring at Camden, (or anywhere on the Regents except Limehouse!)

Please do the Thames - it is a stunning river!

Tim

I don't know the London moorings that well, but what are the possibilities of booking a mooring at the Canal Museum for the week, I think they charge but I don't know how much? It woould mean the OP would have a mooring to go to if that worries him/her

I don't know the London moorings that well, but what are the possibilities of booking a mooring at the Canal Museum for the week, I think they charge but I don't know how much? It woould mean the OP would have a mooring to go to if that worries him/her

We do not take week long mooring bookings at the London Canal Museum as we have a lot of school visits etc that require the use of the wharf (we only have one boat lengths of mooring)

We do accept overnight moorings and possibly day long ones for visitors to the museum subject to availability.

Tim

We do not take week long mooring bookings at the London Canal Museum as we have a lot of school visits etc that require the use of the wharf (we only have one boat lengths of mooring)

We do accept overnight moorings and possibly day long ones for visitors to the museum subject to availability.

Tim

Thanks Tim, that puts that option to bed for them.

This comment from Saltysplash on the "anchors" thread reassured me

".PS if your worried that your T-stud of fixing wont hold should you need to deploy your anchor, then I suggest the conditions were not suitable to venture forth in the first place."

I'm quite sure I'd be staying firmly put in any dubious conditions so the above certainly applies to me! Not one to take risks!

Working on intinerary now - I don't intend to plan more than I can easily do - I'd rather have heaps of time to enjoy scenery, look at places I'm passing etc, than feel at all rushed.

Stickleback

Edited by stickleback