Bad news for canal pub

dor

Featured Posts

Reminds me of a WRG dig many years ago when Sue was cooking a very large pot of stew and was asked if there was a vegetarian option. "Yes" she replied "just take your portion from the top of the pan as all the meat has sunk to the bottom"

Tim

That was the soup Tim. Other stories include the first aid course; when the stopping the leg stump bleeding had been dealt with the trainees were asked what they would do with the unattached limb. Give it to Sue for the soup was the reply. I think my soups had a bit of a reputation. My daughters veggie boyfriend said my veggie soup was better than his mother made, I boiled up bones for the stock, it makes all the difference.

Sue

That was the soup Tim. Other stories include the first aid course; when the stopping the leg stump bleeding had been dealt with the trainees were asked what they would do with the unattached limb. Give it to Sue for the soup was the reply. I think my soups had a bit of a reputation. My daughters veggie boyfriend said my veggie soup was better than his mother made, I boiled up bones for the stock , it makes all the difference.

Sue

:lol::lol: :lol:

Hi,

just an update on the OP. It seems that there is someone negotiating to take over the Star at Acton (I found out from a boater friend who wanted to take over the Star himself, but was beaten to it).

All the regulars, boaters and locals alike, will be very glad when the Star re-opens, as long as the new landlord/lady can offer the same amount of different Real Ales, and allow dogs in, as Jim & Liz did.

We were temporary regulars having been frozen in just when we were going to move off the Llangollen onto the Shropshire Union before the Hurlstone locks were closed for maintenance!

Will post any further news.

Keith

I once really upset a veggie (a reasonably 'strict' one, near vegan) one when I told her that the 'finings' in a lot of booze was made from the swim bladders of fish ...

Edited by Chris J W

I once really upset a veggie (a reasonably 'strict' one, near vegan) one when I told her that the 'finings' in a lot of booze was made from the swim bladders of fish ...

It would have upset me too......for the fact you were taking the piss at my lifestyle choice. :lol:

Although the finings are not in the beer you drink - or if they are it hasn't settled and you should take it back.

Although the finings are not in the beer you drink - or if they are it hasn't settled and you should take it back.

Of course I'd take it back if they were still obvious, but it's still something that surprises veggies that an animal product can be used for making what appears to be a purely vegetable based product.

Issenglass, isn't it?

From wikipedia

Additionally, many individuals describe themselves as simply "vegetarian" while actually practicing a semi-vegetarian diet.[19]

Semi-vegetarianism—A diet that excludes certain meats, particularly red meat, but allows the consumption of others.

Pescetarianism—A diet that excludes all meat except fish, shellfish, and crustacea.

Pollotarianism—A diet that excludes all meat except poultry and fowl.

Flexitarianism—A diet that consists primarily of vegetarian food, but that allows occasional exceptions.

note, not eating animal prducts at all is veganism

also lacto-veggie (doesn't eat eggs but does eat dairy) and ovo-veggie (doesn't eat dairy but does eat eggs)

I like the idea of flexitarianism, how about flexi-teetotalism, flexi turn up at work ism, flexi-fidelity, flexi loan repayment, flexi-alcoholism (drink most days but not all) :lol::lol:

Ah...Mrs TNC is therefore a Pescetarian...like a good few people we know.

Of course I'd take it back if they were still obvious, but it's still something that surprises veggies that an animal product can be used for making what appears to be a purely vegetable based product.

Issenglass, isn't it?

Yup - isinglass to be precise. Originally made from the swim bladder of a sturgeon.

Most makers of real ale, or beer as we used to know it, use isinglass. I remember the tale of the redoubtable Chas Wright who set up the Uley Brewery receiving a letter from someone asking if his beer was suitable for vegetarians. Apparently his reply began something like: "Dear Sir, Man is an omnivore!!" Which wasn't very helpful really :lol: .

It think someone refusing to drink traditionally fined ale because it contains a fish product is taking vegatarianism too far.

The alternative? Centrifuge fined 'keg' beer ('cream flow, extra smooth that type of stuff for the uninitiated). Not even worth drinking let alone paying money for.

Interestingly occasionally you can pull a pint and comes out very cloudy. There called 'threads' in the trade. It happens when during the settling process the beer 'layers'. The next pint pulled is usually perfect.

I always kept a bottle of insiglass in the fridge to 'top up' the finings of beers that had travelled along way. Especially having run a tenanted pub where the beer was moved and settled to many times between depots.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

I put most of the woes of the pub industry down to the greed of the pubcos and some of the big brewers. 20-odd years ago, most pubs were owned by brewers. Then in 1985 (?) the beer orders came along which would have allowed tenants of large breweries the freedom to buy just one real ale from an outside supplier. It should also have brought some competition into the trade by mandating the brewers to release some of their pubs from the restrictive tie. All they had to do was release half of the number of pubs over 5000 if they owned more than 5000, so if say a brewer owned 6000 pubs, they'd have to release only 500 - but then they'd have to compete for the trade in those pubs - can't possibly do that.. so they set up nice neat pubcos to own the pubs, then these pubcos - not being brewers themselves, fell outside the beer orders, and did not have to allow guest beers or release pubs - then oddly, these new pubcos usually chose to buy their beer from the same big brewers who had previously owned the pubs.. now isn't that a coincidence ! What we're left with now is an extra layer of profit-taking in the industry. The pubcos profit can come just as easily from rent on good pubs as it can from selling shut ones, so to them it makes no odds whether a pub is open and profitable or shut and sold for the land, as they still make money..

Sorry - rant over !

Waiting for the incoming ...

And yet they are constantly using vegetables to produce a meal that mimics meat dishes;

Fake bacon, soya mince, quorn sausages ec.

I put most of the woes of the pub industry down to the greed of the pubcos and some of the big brewers. 20-odd years ago, most pubs were owned by brewers. Then in 1985 (?) the beer orders came along which would have allowed tenants of large breweries the freedom to buy just one real ale from an outside supplier. It should also have brought some competition into the trade by mandating the brewers to release some of their pubs from the restrictive tie. All they had to do was release half of the number of pubs over 5000 if they owned more than 5000, so if say a brewer owned 6000 pubs, they'd have to release only 500 - but then they'd have to compete for the trade in those pubs - can't possibly do that.. so they set up nice neat pubcos to own the pubs, then these pubcos - not being brewers themselves, fell outside the beer orders, and did not have to allow guest beers or release pubs - then oddly, these new pubcos usually chose to buy their beer from the same big brewers who had previously owned the pubs.. now isn't that a coincidence ! What we're left with now is an extra layer of profit-taking in the industry. The pubcos profit can come just as easily from rent on good pubs as it can from selling shut ones, so to them it makes no odds whether a pub is open and profitable or shut and sold for the land, as they still make money..

Sorry - rant over !

Waiting for the incoming ...

This was all started by Thatcher, making it a "free" market.

And yet they are constantly using vegetables to produce a meal that mimics meat dishes;

Fake bacon, soya mince, quorn sausages ec.

Yeah. I've never quite understood the logic (if any!?) behind that.

• 1 month later...

GOOD NEWS FOR A CHANGE!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The Star at Acton near Nantwich has re-opened!!! The new management seem OK and are still allowing dogs in the bar. Unfortunately no hot food will be available until Whit, but sandwiches are pretty good. There are a few real ales and more to come.

Keith

GOOD NEWS FOR A CHANGE!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

The Star at Acton near Nantwich has re-opened!!! The new management seem OK and are still allowing dogs in the bar. Unfortunately no hot food will be available until Whit, but sandwiches are pretty good. There are a few real ales and more to come.

Keith

We were in there on Good Friday. Enjoyed the beer, the sandwiches, a free coffee and a couple of games of pool. The couple who have taken it on said they run a restaurant in Nantwich and they seem to have a good idea of what they want to make of the place.