New Continuous Cruiser group

fender

Featured Posts

Sorry Rayman and Carrie but you are talking utter rubbish. It may not be our job but it is definately our problem.

Clearly this is a topic that instills alot of very strong feelings.

You could argue that the non payers raise the cost to the payers.

In my experience these "boaters" congregate together for "protection" and very vocally protest their (unpaid for) rights. In addition they "take over" an area, littering the banks and often intimidate any foolish visitors in staying well clear.

Why should I subsidise these people?

Why should I fear to exercise my (licensed) right to moor any (legal) where I please?

Why should we tolerate these people continually taking the good bits of society such as healthcare, schools, tap water, etc Yet these same people do not see why they should pay for licenses or mooring fees, no doubt they do not pay tax or insurance, maybe they dont even exist officially???

Clearly one result (that we all suffer) is that genuine cc`ers appear to be suffering the consequences :smiley_offtopic:

Sorry Rayman and Carrie but you are talking utter rubbish. It may not be our job but it is definately our problem.

32503[/snapback]

It affects us but I dont think it is our right to go round spying on others as we dont run the canals. BW has access to information about who has paid and who hasnt. BW in fact have said that there have been increases in reportage recently on boats without licences, but a large percfentage of these reports have in fact been about boats that do have licences.

It is BW's problem that is becoming our 'problem' by way of their wanting to force a licence increase. It is not justified especially when if they had their house in order before they could have raised so much more revenue by chasing defaulters over say the past couple of years.

Out of consearn just the other day i removed a 6 foot log floating in the canal where I always walk the dog.

Yesterday there are bloody large tyres about 5 of in the middle of the waterway.

If they were to cause damage who compensates the boat owner?

If IM sailing and come across crap in the waterway i will remove it.

Is this commen place?

I think we all have a duty to each other to report unlicensed boats.

I bet half of they are not on CC licenses either.

I think we all have a duty to each other to report unlicensed boats.

I bet half of they are not on CC licenses either.

32536[/snapback]

Perhaps BW has relied on this happening too much in the past and it has actually led to it being lackisidal in chasing up non-payers? Of course a lot of people on the canals do things like remove logs, pick out large bits of rubbish etc. If it was the streets it would be the council doing it all the time, not the pedestrians, in clearing up rubbish. BW has been very lucky and fortunate in having so many good willed people to do its jobs for free, so in many ways I fail to see how they can jusfity a hefty licence increase.

Edited by fender.

In my experience these "boaters" congregate together for "protection" and very vocally protest their (unpaid for) rights. In addition they "take over" an area, littering the banks and often intimidate any foolish visitors in staying well clear.

32503[/snapback]

Seems to me you've made some judgements based purely on the untidiness of some people's boats - not yet a crime I hope.

I personally find the evening running of polluting engines and generators to supply big posh new boats with the same energy they used in a house (before they discovered the canals), offensive.

I find their refusal to adapt to the simplicity and frugality offered by life on the water, disgusting. But of course I would never venture to say so on this forum, where I might get my head bitten off!

Carrie wrote,

Seems to me you've made some judgements based purely on the untidiness of some people's boats - not yet a crime I hope.

I personally find the evening running of polluting engines and generators to supply big posh new boats with the same energy they used in a house (before they discovered the canals), offensive.

I find their refusal to adapt to the simplicity and frugality offered by life on the water, disgusting. But of course I would never venture to say so on this forum, where I might get my head bitten off!

?????. but you have just said it. :smiley_offtopic::lol:

I don't think the running of generators is restricted to a "class" of boater, people may need to wash and dry clothes or charge batteries. Although this should be done in the daytime. Running any engine in the evening is unnacceptable, whoevers doing it.

In all fairness the comment wasn't about the condition of the boats it was about rubbish on the banks.

The big new boats you refer to Carrie will all be using purpose built internally fitted and properly separated and exhausted gen sets that you will not hear from 6' away i have a 12 kv gen set that is totally silent when 6' from boat and the exhaust is split so the water comes out under the water and the gases above so there is not even a gurgle.

Nothing like the ones that run a 900w petrol gen set stood on the rear deck of the boat .

Nb "Shalom", permanently moored at Bradford on Avon right next to a popular 24 hour mooring, running a generator at 6am. Acceptable?

32553[/snapback]

LOL oh dear and i thought i was getting away from these kind of selfish disrespectfull people.

A few weeks back i was woken up in my flat at three in the morning by loud music and shouting.

It was from the block next to ours where they were hanging for fun from the belcony like tarzan whilst blasting bass heavy music.

I eventually got very wound up and stressed out thinking to myself no its not me this is bang out of order.

I took the dog and maglight with me and knocked on the door, they obviously could'nt hear. I tried the door and it was unlocked. I walked in unnoticed opened the meter cupboard switched off the electrcity and took out the appropiate fuse.

I walked out, let the dog do a wee and went back to bed.

I know you could'nt do this on a boat but my point is dont tollerate it ensure that a level of commen respect is instilled then when someone takes the mick you can approach them knowing you have support from others because you are a community.

This kind of behaviour never used to go on in my Grandparents generation they had more respect for one another.

I really think from so many people on here complaining about certain things of different kinds, that a boaters paper should be drafted up with aceptable behaviour rules and presented to BW. This would then ideally be given out with a new licence and if rules are broken licenses dont get renewed and/or fines dished out.

Thats money would then be of use for the waterways.

If we are all going to rant and rave lets at least get together and make some bloody changes through an official channel for the positive of everyone and make some progress otherwise its nothing but a bunch of people bitching.

Its never going to change otherwise.

The big new boats you refer to Carrie will all be using purpose built internally fitted and properly separated and exhausted gen sets that you will not hear from 6' away i have a 12 kv gen set that is totally silent when 6' from boat and the exhaust is split so the water comes out under the water and the gases above so there is not even a gurgle.

32552[/snapback]

Are you gassing the fish Richard? It does strike a concern with me because fish sometimes need to have their water oxygenated and this seems to be the reverse. Is it allowed?

Carrie, I agree about boats running with their engines in forward, running all the time, as if powering the QE2. Some of these new boats are lovely but they are so selfish in terms of power usages and energy requirements (and some come through locks so slowly you'd think they'd be needing a laser beam to guide it in or out without touching the sides!)

I rely on solar power and sensible use and only run my engines when I need, very rarely mind you, i am on the move usually every 2 - 5 days, or rarely more unless committments dictate otherwise.

That concerns me as well Fender , i will check.

I know that in my Koi pond at home i pump 20 cu mtrs of air into the water per hour  24/7 april through to october. so they do need air.

32584[/snapback]

Sorry I thought you said the exhaust was pumped into the canal. :smiley_offtopic:

Sorry - not being clear. It isn't our job to do anything about those boaters who choose not to pay their licences. BW set the fee and it is down to them to collect it. I don't see it's any business of ours.

I know I'm am going to get lambasted here but I have a death wish so............

I know some here will correct me if I am wrong, like that ever happens. :smiley_offtopic:

Is it not actually written on the licence, something about reporting those who do not have a licence.

Nah! I must have dreamt that one up.

Being a gypsy doesn`t mean anything...

It does to the gypsies.

What has a generator got to do with people not paying a license?

I can imagine that a noisy gen/set on an unlicenced boat is a tad more annoying than a noisy gen/set on a licenced boat.

Edited by Maffi

I know I'm am going to get lambasted here but I have a death wish so............

I know some here will correct me if I am wrong, like that ever happens. :smiley_offtopic:

Is it not actually written on the licence, something about reporting those who do not have a licence.

Nah! I must have dreamt that one up.

32730[/snapback]

It's also written on billboards that we should shop anyone we think is a benefit scrounger. Those s***s in government trying to set one man against another - that way, they'll never unite enough to bring em down.

It may be mandatory to report other boaters without licences. Don't give a rat's ass - I never would!

Ha! Just realised I rose to the bait beautifully there Maffi, didn't I :lol: