New Continuous Cruiser group

fender

Featured Posts

147% may not be the actual increase that BW really want. It's just possible that they want -------50% but are using 147% so there will be a feel good factor when a lower increase eventually arrives and everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Maffi, they would then have to introduce another rate for ccers and share boats (the ones BW failed to target last time of trying), because hire boats are already being charged 147% more than private rate at the moment.

Seeing as there are around 750 new boats being built a year ( correct me if i'm wrong ) and no moorings left.....

So Onionbargee, what do you think BW can do about this, and can you think of a solution?

I would be very surprised if these proposals go through to see any boat as declared as a ccer in the future.

:P

Nigel you posted at the same time as me... poor Onionbargee is getting asked twice for his view, sorry about that Onionbargee..

BW will have to make more moorings available.. in any case if a ccer now decides to have a mooring because of the high cost of the higher rate licence, can they offer one??

Well BW can you?

I hope BW staff who are members here will answer that. :P

I find all this 'Genuine CC'er' talk depressing, the same feeling I get when I talk to 'club boaters' on the cut who just look down at you because there is a wheel barrow on your roof - in some places people won't even look at you as they pass.

I've met many people who don't have permanent moorings (for many reasons), and who also don't spend months moored up at the same bridge, they pay thier license fees and keep out of the way, why can't people just accept it and move on?

Over my first summer, my experience of the 'Genuine CC'er' is someone hell-bent on covering as many miles in one day as possible, doing untold damage to the banks and locks in the process, wearing a River X Boat Club shirt and unable to discuss anything except how they've squeezed a washing machine, dryer, and the rest of Currys into 72ft, gasing the rest of the wharf during the evening while they 'do the batteries' ...

Matt

Ha matt!

Well the washing machine bit is true in our case, we really did squeeze it in under the sink in the bathroom, I still don't believe we did that!! :P

Really a thread more about how BW can be fair to all here rather than continuing the endless arguments..

I am, like you, somewhat frustrated, but my frustration is with the unjust of such a high hike for a boat that did 1207 lock miles over the last year.. I really don't mind paying some extra for using the services all year, just I feel the amount we are being asked to pay is just too high.

Edited by Sue

I am, like you, somewhat frustrated, but my frustration is with the unjust of such a high hike for a boat that did 1207 lock miles over the last year.. I really don't mind paying some extra for using the services all year, just I feel the amount we are being asked to pay is just too high.

27616[/snapback]

Some CC'ers dont see a reason to pay extra. As they sees it either the licence stays the same or its war with BW.

.................................. my experience of the 'Genuine CC'er' is someone hell-bent on covering as many miles in one day as possible, doing untold damage to the banks and locks in the process, wearing a River X Boat Club shirt and unable to discuss anything except how they've squeezed a washing machine, dryer, and the rest of Currys into 72ft, gasing the rest of the wharf during the evening while they 'do the batteries'.

Sorry matt but your argument just does not hold water.

Why would someone who is covering 'as many miles in a day as they can' need to 'do the batteries' in the evening? Would not 7/8 hours cruising do that. There is no logic.

Surely someone who does locks nearly every day will cause a lot less wear and tear than one who does them one or two weeks a year,

If you read many of the CCer's bloggs you will notice that they all just poodle along, stopping here. stopping there, in no great rush to get anywhere. Why would someone who has all the time in the world to do the whole system be 'hell-bent' on getting round as quick as they can. What is the point!

There is more logic to the arguement that a boater who has a limited time, hols w/e etc does more damage than a CCer.

I would gladly provide some figures.

Edited by maffi mushkila

Some CC'ers dont see a reason to pay extra. As they sees it either the licence stays the same or its war with BW.

27626[/snapback]

It is not war just fair play.

I will not discuss the ins and outs because people are stuck with their own views and will not budge.

Some CCer's don't see a reason to pay extra. As they sees it either the licence stays the same or its war with BW.

Why should one person pay more for a service than another. You could argue that they use it more, but the other side of the coin is that others use it less.

Maybe the point to get across to BW is not that CCers use the system more than others but that others do not use it as much as they could do.

A two tier licence might be the way to go for Part Time Boaters. OCT/MAR licence lower cost during which time they are not allowed to leave their marina. APR/SEP a normal cost. This would reduce their annual licence cost and hopefully stop the little green monster from sitting on their shoulder.

Edited by maffi mushkila

27866[/snapback]

sorry about the above,pressed the wrong button.

someone help me.

picture this, ive just had new boat built dropped it into the canal and now intend to cruise the system for the rest of my days.will i have to pay the increase in fee,will i be outlawed as a cc.r. thanx nigel

sorry about the above,pressed the wrong button.

someone help me.

picture this, ive just had new boat built dropped it into the canal and now intend to cruise the system for the rest of my days.will i have to pay the increase in fee,will i be outlawed as a cc.r. thanx nigel

Nigel

CCer's, genuine ones that is, are a legal entity.

The law was changed in the 90's (I think) to make it so, just for people like you and me. So sorry your dreams of being a water borne Jesse James are sunk!

However the proposed new daylight robbery charges will not come into effect untill April 2006 so you will not pay the extra charge this time.

Edited by maffi mushkila

i told you all in may about this campaign against cc,s,and i asked that you all email a certain person and tell him to shut his mouth.

if any of you still believe that the campaign to make cc,s pay more is not orchestrated think again.

some sites shout out long and loud about the need to make cc,s pay more and it makes me wonder why.

it goes beyond a person having a moan about something when it is said repeatedly week in week out.

Its unnecessary and unwanted by the majority of folks out there, and frankly doesn't do BW any credit. As I've said before CCers contribute hugely to the security and general efficiency of the system. BW owes them money for all the unpaid work they do in the way of maintenance and training of novices etc. Instead of which they're going to be stung for loads of cash. The licence is for navigation, and BW office types should stop pandering to the loud mouths with sinister agendas, and perhaps listen to their staff on the ground, who are generally far more in touch with popular feeling.

Whats the answer? you can't stop boat builders from building boats, ...........

You are right Nigel! You can't stop builders from building boats, but what you can do is force a decrease in the demand.

So, make it difficult for those who flout the rules by this huge increase and when that has sunk in and every one has lapsed into a mediocre repose, slam dunk the rest of the punters (npi) while they're sipping their G&T's on the deck. An across the board 100% increase for Part Time Boaters to decrease the differential between PTB's and CCer's.

With the number of people that can afford the increases reduced many builders may well go out of business and the numbers of boats built would decrease.

BW can't stop builders building boats but they can make it difficult for people to buy them.

Just a thought!

i told you all in may about this campaign against cc,s,and i asked that you all email a certain person and tell him to shut his mouth.

if any of you still believe that the campaign to make cc,s pay more is not orchestrated think again.

some sites shout out long and loud about the need to make cc,s pay more and it makes me wonder why.

it goes beyond a person having a moan about something when it is said repeatedly week in week out.

I wrote to the old tw*t many times but he wont listen to any reason. He cant see past his stack pipe!

I wrote to the old tw*t many times but he wont listen to any reason. He cant see past his stack pipe!

28027[/snapback]

NBW says it will update on 16th August (no updates so far as I've checked) but I'm sure that old tw*t VS has used these 2 weeks to devise a further bout of attacks against CC's. He'd not last a minute if anyone found out who he was.

Edited by fender

I have to say, I'm still all for CCers, and don't mind the fact that they get better value for money than I do (why should I?), in my case it's because my lifestyle sucks, not because they're getting something for nothing.

I have to say those with a crusade to crack down on anyone, jus because they get something the objecter doesn't, smells like a daily mail reader to me.

amybe a campaign to make NIMBYS, pay 3 times as much because of their inherent selfish attitude to others is in order.

Edited by fuzzyduck

I'm making a personal decision to simplify my life and live without the unneccessary stuff that people flog themselves to death to achieve (- for what?). I hate consumerism and globalisation and try to live with as little impact on the environment as I can, and although I am happy to pay for what I use, I hate the thought of becoming a money-spinner for someone else.

Guest st170dw
I have to say, I'm still all for CCers, and don't mind the fact that they get better value for money than I do (why should I?), in my case it's because my lifestyle sucks, not because they're getting something for nothing.

28043[/snapback]

Hear Hear - my view entirely.

I'm making a personal decision to simplify my life and live without the unnecessary stuff that people flog themselves to death to achieve (- for what?). I hate consumerism and globalisation and try to live with as little impact on the environment as I can, and although I am happy to pay for what I use, I hate the thought of becoming a money-spinner for someone else.

I made the choice to move on to the canals a while ago. I have just sold my house that was filled with loads of crap that I didn't really need. My daughter (she bought it) is having great fun car booting it all.

The most useless thing that I sold was the space that I didn't need.

She can now fill the space with babies if she so chooses, but more likely rabbits and chickens. She has just got her first crop of carrots this month and is happier than a box of frogs.

Here I sit in another house thousands of miles away resisting the urge to fill it with more crap, but the good news is the boat is in sight, only nine months away.

Edited by maffi mushkila