stupid question

bigcol

Featured Posts

Hi my new boat is arriving wednesday, and have been told that it needs blacking

Ive owned about on the coast so i imagine blacking is like a antifouling.

Can anyone tell me of any particular make, price, and how much i would need for a 60x10 ft widebeam

I imagine its a mater or sanding scraping, before putting on How many coats? and i would imagine a mini roller.

I heard from someone(i was ears droping that blacking is 2 part) could this be the paint or is it 2 coats.

I know i can ask around at the marina, but I would like to pretend im not a complete idiot!! :lol:

thanks in advance

col

Can anyone tell me of any particular make, price, and how much i would need for a 60x10 ft widebeam

I imagine its a mater or sanding scraping, before putting on How many coats? and i would imagine a mini roller.

I heard from someone(i was ears droping that blacking is 2 part) could this be the paint or is it 2 coats.

I know i can ask around at the marina, but I would like to pretend im not a complete idiot!! :lol:

thanks in advance

col

2 pak is an epoxy paint type substance more expesive than blacking(bitchmen paint)

if you use bitcho no need to sand paper the surface just scrape off any bad spots of rust

60 x 10 roughly 4 gals two coats use big fluffy rollers and brush in on the rubbing streaks

store rollers in a bucket of water over night for 2nd coat

thanks in advance

col

If it's new, check that it dos'nt still have 'mill scale' on the steel, if it has it will be prudent to get it grit blasted first otherwise whatever you put on will eventually come off with the millscale. My 56 ft N/B will cost about £1,000 including four weeks hard standing, and gritblasting, with me putting on three coats of blacking on. We've been advised to wait for the warmer weather so that there is less moisture in the air.

I'm sure others will be along soon to give you more advice, that's the beauty of this forum.

:lol: Good luck and welcome.

John

Edited to add, only if you already know the answer is a question stupid, and then not always.

Edited by johnjo

Blacking is mostly a couple of coats of bitumen. It doesn't really anti foul.

Canal water being non-salty, soupy and sluggish does promote algae etc along the water line.

Generally docking every few years and some elbow grease will get that weed off and you can apply new bitu, as others have said.

If its a new boat, is it currently painted at all ? When you buy a car, the paint isn't extra ? I don't know your exact arrangement, but if it were me, I'd be thinking in terms of a guarantee of several years for engine, cooker, heating etc etc including the paint finish, so if they haven't put enough coats on, its their look out.

I suggest you have survey done done - IE an independent inspection - of all parts and systems, above and below the water line.

Thanks for your posts folks

The boat is 2 years old was blacked or has a black finish on the bottom looks like its been sprayed on by the manufactorer.

The boat has never been in the water.Its been on the hard being fitted out but Unfortnatley never finished.

so blacking Bitchmin, or expoxy 2 part?

thankyou

col

The boat is 2 years old was blacked or has a black finish on the bottom looks like its been sprayed on by the manufactorer.

The boat has never been in the water.Its been on the hard being fitted out but Unfortnatley never finished.

thankyou

col

If you want to use 2 part you will probably have to have the hull blasted. I have seen this advertised at £30 per foot, as you can't put 2 part on top of bitumen. If its never been in the water probably the blacking is still good and you could just give it a scrub down and give it a couple of coats of Bitumen.

Brian

I believe the two (bitumen, and epoxy) don't like each other. So if it's been done from new in bitumen, stay with bitumen. If it's been done with epoxy, stay with epoxy.

As to how you'd tell the difference on yours, hopefully someone else can answer that one!

you can bitcho over epoxy but not the other way round ..if its been out the water for 2 years the bitcho may have dried out and gone flaky i would power wash it then slap another 2 coats on

Edited by denboy

thankyou

col

Hang on - there is another option - tar based like Comastic.

See later post. It is unwise to overcoat bitumen with tar based & visa versa. The rag & white spirit test identifies tar or bitumen, but cant remember which it dissolves more readily.

Some expoxy seem to go grey over time so the boat looks like a rhinoceros and I have yet to be convinced their extra cost makes them significantly more resistant to mechanical damage. At least with either blacking you can just slap a bit more over scrapes.