RIVER SOAR CONSULTATION

Roger t' Bodger

Featured Posts

In response to the BW - Waterways Trust Questionnaire about the River Soar that closes on the 20th Jan, I’ve written this to paste into the box provided, then I thought I would create a thread so we can a have a thinktank to develop these ideas and any other that can also be passed onto them powers that be. I was stimulated – nay - prodded to express my views by Steve Haywood’s Feb column in Canal Boat where he makes some good points that I have followed on with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve recently been questing for historical understanding around the North Bridge section of the old Soar as it runs around Frog Island and onward through Abbey Park and Belgrave Lock. This is for my third book about the next section of Leicester's River Soar.

This is the original course of the river, used for water transport and many other essential needs of the people for millennia. Wind onto the Victorian age and in the years following the scouring to turn it into a flood drain, being much wider and set at a much lower water level, the area around North Bridge became heavily industrialised as now there was far more ‘safe’ building land to exploit. As Abbey Park literally grew from the I0,000 saplings planted in 1882 the river’s entire length above and below the weir above the basin was used for pleasure boating and was connected to the Navigation in the 1880’s-90’s and there was even a lock in Abbey Park. In 1967 it was the site for the IWA National.

This is where there is a very much under-appreciated and under utilised natural resource –you can’t get to it, only catch glimpses as it hides shaggily behind factories that have their backs to it. The only place that the old Soar is appreciated by the landscaping to reveal it (also essential flood prevention) is in Abbey Park.

It is my sad experience that providing well-meaning urban-style access to more rural areas all too frequently throws the baby out with the bathwater. I am not advocating that from a point of exclusivity or nimbyism but to protect these rarer places for man to recharge his empathy with his environment. The best way to do that is to travel at a speed no more than walking pace because at that natural human speed the brain can maximise the process of absorbing natural information which enables this peaceful and life enhancing empathy.

What is needed is a concerted effort to just maintain or improve on the existing set up e.g. - better towpath surfaces in heavy towpath traffic sections and inform through the media how to access the waterways in a comprehensive way stressing the need to respect and help sustain them. This information would be cheaper to deseminate, and far less intrusive than signage and interpretation panels.

But more importantly there must be more concentrate efforts in opening up sections that are sore used and would regenerate some much degraded urban areas. This is where it can be of the greatest use to the greatest number of people - urban city dwellers who can just walk or cycle safely to the place and leave the more rural sections for what they are – an escape for those who make an effort. But if there were also simple improvements made to existing waterside attractions at places like Kilby Bridge and at Kings Locks, Aylestone then that also wouldn’t harm the overall atmosphere of the cut.

As an ex (repentant) public artist I really have to say I’m not keen on the public art by waterways and in Leicester, most of it has been derided, ignored, vilified, vandalised or stolen and I couldn’t validate any of its existence, as it seems to conflict within me a need and purpose, plus the concept is combined with ART being used to enhance and compensate for some of the dreadful architecture foisted upon us along the waterways. If there is money to spend then spend it to renovate and restore (in the same materials and style) the infrastructure of the navigation and cut as that is being seriously eroded by modern cheap materials that dilute the whole experience of the heritage of the waterways.

My handful of films about the Leicester Section aboard vintage narrow boats are now up on You Tube. Search – Narrow Boat Trust - enjoy if the winter web traffic doesn’t slow up the playing….

Roger

In response to the BW - Waterways Trust Questionnaire about the River Soar that closes on the 20th Jan, I’ve written this to paste into the box provided, then I thought I would create a thread so we can a have a thinktank to develop these ideas and any other that can also be passed onto them powers that be. I was stimulated – nay - prodded to express my views by Steve Haywood’s Feb column in Canal Boat where he makes some good points that I have followed on with.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve recently been questing for historical understanding around the North Bridge section of the old Soar as it runs around Frog Island and onward through Abbey Park and Belgrave Lock. This is for my third book about the next section of Leicester's River Soar.

This is the original course of the river, used for water transport and many other essential needs of the people for millennia. Wind onto the Victorian age and in the years following the scouring to turn it into a flood drain, being much wider and set at a much lower water level, the area around North Bridge became heavily industrialised as now there was far more ‘safe’ building land to exploit. As Abbey Park literally grew from the I0,000 saplings planted in 1882 the river’s entire length above and below the weir above the basin was used for pleasure boating and was connected to the Navigation in the 1880’s-90’s and there was even a lock in Abbey Park. In 1967 it was the site for the IWA National.

This is where there is a very much under-appreciated and under utilised natural resource –you can’t get to it, only catch glimpses as it hides shaggily behind factories that have their backs to it. The only place that the old Soar is appreciated by the landscaping to reveal it (also essential flood prevention) is in Abbey Park.

It is my sad experience that providing well-meaning urban-style access to more rural areas all too frequently throws the baby out with the bathwater. I am not advocating that from a point of exclusivity or nimbyism but to protect these rarer places for man to recharge his empathy with his environment. The best way to do that is to travel at a speed no more than walking pace because at that natural human speed the brain can maximise the process of absorbing natural information which enables this peaceful and life enhancing empathy.

What is needed is a concerted effort to just maintain or improve on the existing set up e.g. - better towpath surfaces in heavy towpath traffic sections and inform through the media how to access the waterways in a comprehensive way stressing the need to respect and help sustain them. This information would be cheaper to deseminate, and far less intrusive than signage and interpretation panels.

But more importantly there must be more concentrate efforts in opening up sections that are sore used and would regenerate some much degraded urban areas. This is where it can be of the greatest use to the greatest number of people - urban city dwellers who can just walk or cycle safely to the place and leave the more rural sections for what they are – an escape for those who make an effort. But if there were also simple improvements made to existing waterside attractions at places like Kilby Bridge and at Kings Locks, Aylestone then that also wouldn’t harm the overall atmosphere of the cut.

As an ex (repentant) public artist I really have to say I’m not keen on the public art by waterways and in Leicester, most of it has been derided, ignored, vilified, vandalised or stolen and I couldn’t validate any of its existence, as it seems to conflict within me a need and purpose, plus the concept is combined with ART being used to enhance and compensate for some of the dreadful architecture foisted upon us along the waterways. If there is money to spend then spend it to renovate and restore (in the same materials and style) the infrastructure of the navigation and cut as that is being seriously eroded by modern cheap materials that dilute the whole experience of the heritage of the waterways.

My handful of films about the Leicester Section aboard vintage narrow boats are now up on You Tube. Search – Narrow Boat Trust - enjoy if the winter web traffic doesn’t slow up the playing….

Roger

Excellent post Roger, i have used the leicester section often over the years and also cannot understand why the potential has never been exploited. I remember the mooring basin near the macdonalds drive through and how boaters were eventually driven out by minless vandalism and the constant threat of burglary, also the old section round the back of what was then the 3m works where a good overnight mooring could be had. Nowadays it seems like the only way through is to leave syston early morning and make it through to kilby bridge by evening for fear of bandits or to allow time for drained pounds etc. I know it isnt as bad as i have painted it all the time , but i have had several distasteful incidents over the years, yet i still see a lot of potential ... like the old slip at aylestone being utilised again by a small boatyard and as you say a development of kilby bridge.

Rick

We are based on the Soar and have yet to have any problems with vandalism. We have boated into Leicester moored on the pontoons at Castle Gardens and gone to concerts at the De Montfort Hall leaving the boat unattended. It is a fallacy to say that you have to do Thurmaston or Birstall to Kilby Bridge in a day to be safe. There are reasonable if remote moorings in the Aylestone area where we have moored overnight eg above Kings Lock. Birstall is a very civilised place with easy shopping and excellent moorings. It would be nice if access to the Space Centre and Abbey Lane pumping station was made easier from above Belgrave lock. If the arm and wharf above Lime Kiln lock were restored there would be more good moorings. The area above Freemans Common lock adjacent to the Walkere stadium also looks OK but have not spent a night there.

It is a pain that the locks in the Glen Parva area have locks on them but note the city centre ones do not. Having spoken to BW staff at Kilby Bridge they said that a well known former lock keeper at Foxton did much to discourage boaters from going through Leicester!

North of Leicester the river can be interesting after rain, but remember it goes up and down quickly especially in summer. There are safe places to moor and indeed leave boats. I think many boaters who are used to canals are put off by river boating and its unpredictability. To us its just part of life and we accept that occasionally we will not be able to boat when we want and we may have to leave it for a few days whilst water levels drop.

The issue of urban vandalism and the the threat to passing boaters is a difficult issue to resolve one, as like Richard T, never really experienced any real problem whereas others do. I live on the bank near the Mile Straight in Leicester so I'm in the middle of it all and have had experiences of travelling on the Leicester GU on a number of occassions in very conspicuous vessels. I also know the retired council riverside wardens from the wildwest days of the 70's and the excellent team of Rangers we have today.

If I was a teenager of today the towpath would attract me because it isn't over used or has CCTV peering down and we could behave as we wish without fear of having our collars felt. But most of the serious attacks to the infrastructure is done by adults who thieve precious metals or use the river a disposal point for sump oil and other nasties.

Despite the very best efforts, down the years, the poor old Soar hasn't quite made the grade in facilities to attract boaters and initaitives like the marina at Belgrave never reached critical mass to become viable in the long term because of Leicester's unjustified reputation. The pontoons at Castle Gardens are ok but despite the overhanging trees of the park you are under no illusion that you are moored in the middle of a city. Last year I had a realisation that as you headed towards Leicester from either direction, the lower the my spirits became just as Tom Rolt described in 1939. Head out of the city, especially towards Foxton and the reverse happens - a real positive high that I've tried to capture on film with One Glorious Morning and Don't Bang 'Em Abat.

Since 2003, the last remaining canal building in Leicester - the lock keeper's cottage at Kings Lock has been a Tea Rooms and it is here where I've focused my creative energies to help establish a pleasent place for everyone to visit as part of the Aylestone Meadows experience. My research has revealed that the place was like Alton Towers on a busy summer Sunday 90 years ago with the boathouse hiring out all manner of craft to explore the waters of the Soar and the Navigation.

Urban dwellers need places that they can walk or cycle to and I reiterate that it is the urban waterways that should be enhanced in the usual manner (within reason - not 39 story eyesores as proposed for West Bridge Wharf!) by property developers and local authorities while BW concentrates on decent maintenance, dredging and tree lopping out in the rural areas.

Roger

Last year I had a realisation that as you headed towards Leicester from either direction, the lower the my spirits became just as Tom Rolt described in 1939. Head out of the city, especially towards Foxton and the reverse happens

Couldn't agree more, I moor in Thurmaston, and have only been south of Birstall twice. It just has no appeal for me.

So do I take it Fuzzy that you are in agreement with resources be expended upon innercity waterways to open up their potential and maintain the rural areas to a good standard?

Personally when on a boat I dislike conubations like the pox and try and get through them as quickly and as painlessly as possible.

But as I'm stranded in the middle of one I make it as bearable for everyone in anyway that I can. It's still a river of precious water.

Roger

IMO it's even more important that inner city waterways are enhanced, and made a focal point. Cities are stressful places, and a waterway running through the middle can provide a much needed decompression space for those people who need it.

Leicester has such potential, there are heaps of green space round the Soar (castle and abbey parks, frog island etc etc etc), and yet the river and canal sections are largely hidden away and ignored. there are some areas where this is now changing, but there are others where the river and canal sections could be bought together with little effort, for instance remove the railings and bushes on the canal side of abbey park, and thus "move" the canal into the park. This would have the added advantage of making antisocial behavior a lot more visible.

The football stadium is a real sight from the river, it's just a shame there is so much crap in the water, although I'm not sure this will ever change or if change is at all feasible.

Personally I'd love to be able to trundle into town of a saturday afternoon, pootle round the more obscure shops then moor the boat by a riverside bar for a few sherberts before beddies, but for this to be a reality will take years and millions of pounds.

Oh and no more highrises with their walls making up the river bank, set them back 50 feet, and put in some pathways.

Nice one Fuzzy - lots of nails hit squarely on the head.

I dream of Leicester with some aspects of Venice (without the sinking bit) with the navigation and the back rivers thronging with boats and facilities and lined with interesting buildings that utillise the flowing waters to heat and cool themselves.

Canoes, trip boats, water taxis, cargoe boats and leisure boats not being the exception but a well loved feature of jolly old Leicester.

I don't smoke anymore so this isn't a pipe dream just a possible reality if everyone sings from the same song sheet.

Roger

Rehabilitating the River Soar and the canal is going to be an uphill struggle. It will be impossible for the canal to become a focus of city life as it has, say, in Birmingham because of disastrous decisions made by city planners in the post war period.

The area around Frog Island has always been a no-go area for respectable citizens and the canal has been associated with decay, squalour and poverty. Little has been done to counter this view and a large area of the city has been starved of investment and imaginative redevelopment.

Similar mismanagement has blighted the area further south in that part of the city which runs close to the canal and which contains some of the city’s best features. Leicester has always been wealthy and after the war the planners were quick off the mark in modernising the city before anyone had any idea about how to do it. They took little account of Leicester’s heritage, and disregarded completely the part played by the canal. The plan, such as it was, consisted in wholesale slum clearance and the provision of a widescale network of motorways in the heart of the city to accommodate the increasing volume of cars.

As a result the old human scale street patterns were bulldozed away (a hideous Holiday Inn now stands on a huge traffic island where the mediaeval cross roads of the city stood); the Roman baths and Jewry Wall are surrounded by swirling traffic while the cathedral and castle are difficult to reach and the canal is isolated from the centre of the town by a soul-less network of busy roads.

I applaud the desire to integrate the canal into the city, but fear it’s too late. Potentially the canal through Leicester could be a gem, but many of the plans proposed (I admit I haven’t read them thoroughly) seem to be tinkering – here a bit of tidying up and improved tow-paths; there better access and a few more signs etc. Leicester recently has made a start in pedestrianising its centre, but while cars are still supreme, there is little hope of making the environs of the canal attractive to passing boaters.

Crikey! Mention Leicester to some people and you get similar views of dislike and everything you say happen and is true

so that why I'm championing the old Soar and try and get a change in peoples perceptions of these waterways and show them what treasures they have beneath all the weed and rubbish. I'm going to have to upload some images and photos to show what I mean.

time for tea

Roger

We found Leicester dirty, depressing and intimidating. We had run-ins with several groups of chav kids, including one group who jumped on the roof of the boat in a lock and later threw stones at us because we objected. I don't mind kids showing an interest, but rude, presumptuous and aggressive kids are not on my welcome list. Another group we encountered were busy running away from a factory fire they'd started. It would be easy to chastise them but in actual fact I thought it was jolly good of them to try and improve the area with some clearance work.

The water is full of debris, the undergrowth needs cutting back and the whole stretch looks as though nobody cares - least of all BW. It seems to be used as a dumping ground by the people whose houses back onto the water, which is one of the reasons why I think waterways should be partly funded by local authorities. The local people need to feel that it is their waterway, rather than a wasteland (and somebody else's problem).

We did have help at some of the locks from curious sunbathers and White Lightning drinkers, but even these experiences were somewhat clouded by the mothers yelling obscenities at their kids, and the rubbish strewn around from their picnics.

Avoid sunny weekends in the school holidays is my advice. Or just avoid altogether. Sorry I know that isn't at all positive but I'm afraid the situation won't improve without significant social change, on top of any physical changes which may be suggested.

Excellent post Roger, i have used the leicester section often over the years and also cannot understand why the potential has never been exploited. I remember the mooring basin near the macdonalds drive through and how boaters were eventually driven out by minless vandalism and the constant threat of burglary, also the old section round the back of what was then the 3m works where a good overnight mooring could be had. Nowadays it seems like the only way through is to leave syston early morning and make it through to kilby bridge by evening for fear of bandits or to allow time for drained pounds etc. I know it isnt as bad as i have painted it all the time , but i have had several distasteful incidents over the years, yet i still see a lot of potential ... like the old slip at aylestone being utilised again by a small boatyard and as you say a development of kilby bridge.

Rick

Before undertaking developments at Pilling's Lock, we had numerous meetings with Leicester City Council about re-developing the old Leicester Marina site. We had a lot of money to spend and the determination to make things happen and put a boating destination back within Leicester City Limits.

Unfortunately, the Environment Agency vetoed any re-developemnt as they didn't want any building in the flood plain. We suggested using floating pontoons and a floating office and working with accommodating the anglers who currently lease the basins for a peppercorn rent - providing toilets and diabled access facilies too!

No one responded, so we moved on to build Pilling's Lock Marina.

It's a great shame as it would have created a really nice marina for mixed use and uplifted the area.

We are still very interested and have all the kit and knowledge to make it a good base and service area for boaters.

If anyone gets a lead, let us know!

At the moment it is in the hands of the those mugs n' tha maggots who have sole use of the old marina as the Redhill Angling Club. The site was developed back in the 70's by Ken Roseblade who had bought the Council's canal maintenance

fleet after he had ceased to carry as Seymour & Roseblade and had the vision to excuvate and run it. It was looked after by ex-boatman John (Jack) Monk who died there eventually but I remember there was some problems with the storage of calor gas and the place never reached critical mass in numbers of users and income so it failed. This wouldn't happen today as there is a need for moorings near the city (10mins by bus to the centre) The 11th century Packhorse Bridge (buses only) is to one side and the Belgrave Boathouse (now the vibrant Outdoor Pursuit Centre) on the other side with fields opposite plus a Mc Donalds behind makes it a ideal place for those with boats. Ken is still about in Leicester - last seen at Stoke Bruerne (and in Canal Boat) at the WW11 event last year acting as Winston Churchill!

I climbed over the gate and took some photos a couple of years ago for a project about Belgrave Village and it was a positive haven of peace and quacking ducks and after all these years very verdant.

I didn't know about the stupid EA ruling preventing building - what is it about Leicester and its waterways?

For anyone to pursue this matter just needs limitless patience and bottomless pockets but it can be done and we would be all the better for it.

Roger

At the moment it is in the hands of the those mugs n' tha maggots who have sole use of the old marina as the Redhill Angling Club. The site was developed back in the 70's by Ken Roseblade who had bought the Council's canal maintenance

fleet after he had ceased to carry as Seymour & Roseblade and had the vision to excuvate and run it. It was looked after by ex-boatman John (Jack) Monk who died there eventually but I remember there was some problems with the storage of calor gas and the place never reached critical mass in numbers of users and income so it failed.

I have fond memories of Ken Roseblade’s yard. It was here I met Jack Monk. I wish I’d recorded all those boating stories he told me.

Twenty odd years ago the site was melancholy and was known locally as Pearl Harbour because of all the sunken boats. Adding to the dismal scene you can see one of the first pictures I took of Owl.

From what you say the scene hasn’t changed much. It’s such a pity, but until Leicester gets its act together, very few boaters will be attracted to the area.

Leicestermarina.jpg

I've never seen a view of the marina further back, that motor looks like a big job. Jack Monk lived to tell tales and was ready with a compliment to the ladies. He asked Stethanie Goodacre, as she reversed Dandelion of Leicester Kids Afloat, which boating family did she come from? Steph said she was so chuffed to be mistaken for a real boatwoman.

000_0346.jpg

Here's the same place 20 years later peaceful as the Old Bridge is closed to all vehicles other than buses and emergency vehicles. The major roads around the back are now hidden and largely quietened by thick banks of trees.

THe Waterways Trust and BW want work with local authorities along the Soar to get things happening, thru joined up thinking. So I think nows the time to start talking about renovating the Belgrave Marina as it would be major improvement just for few waivers in planning permission. Recession or not, the River keeps flowing.

Roger

My thing with the River Soar is that over a period on nearly 30 years I have slowly realised how much the stretch of the Soar between the Walkers Stadium (Leicester Light) and Belgrave has been transformed from natural river courses to a mostly obedient and useful drain and navigation. My research has shown how the small population of the country town was sustained with food, grazing, building materials, mechanical power and transport (and as a drain!) It has been a long relationship dating back on and off for 700,000 years and that relationship has changed to either ignoring it, abusing it or exploiting it.

Castle1870sphoto.jpg

This view of the pontoon moorings at Leicester Castle 110 years before they were installed shows a view comparable with Salisbury Catheral. This was taken shortly before the whole place was torn up and the Mile Straight was scored deep into the landscape to free up the water meadows for building land. There was an outcry then but the progressives had their way and on we strived to turn the area into a livable hell.

ToweringoverFriarsMillsmall.jpg

Due to the recession and the recent lack of state money to build a bridge at this point, the 'Friar's Knob' is still a dream in the eye of a dreadful architect and his greedy speculative developer.

Roger

As most of you are boaters - you will be only aware of the navigation through Leicester and not the other 'back rivers' of the old Soar of which there are two. Although some property developers have put balconies on the river side of old factories and a little landscaping not much else happens to these neglected channels.

NorthBridgesmall-1.jpg

This is a 14th century reconstruction from old accounts of the Great Bridge or St Sunday's Bridge 200 years after it was built. The main channel of the Soar then, it was a hive of activity with the continuous fish farming alongside the producive Mint. Today drivers hardly notice the river at North Bridge as they head toward the naff Highcross Centre.

DSCF1619.jpg

Hardly anything bigger than a canoe can get thorough to the Abbey Park and even that is unadvisable due to the rampant pennywort.

DSCF2198.jpg

In this photo taken in Oct 2007 shows Nb Greenlife reaching the limit of the navigatable above the 1916 Bow Bridge that is about a foot too low and there's the old Leicester & Swannington railway bridge thats even lower before rejoining the navigation at West Bridge Wharf. The council owned boat is manned by the Rangers and with a willing crew of volunteers to clear the waterways of rubbish.

But these channels have to be there for the Flood Prevention of the city not like canals that you can close and fillin but canals generally seem to do far better when it comes to expanding the system.

I'm still selecting photos for the clunky PhotoBucket - I'm always thinking of one to illustrate my point and they haven't been choosen in advance.

If anyone has photos of the Soar in Leicester I would be inteested in seeing them as I'm compliling a visual history of this natural feature for the County Records Office.

Cheers

Roger

I've been uploading more images about this subject and paste them here for your edification.

DSCF4868.jpg

Now as you can see this is an example where important issues can fall through the gaps in the responsibility of Leicester City Council, BW and EA. This is a drain (old Soar) so it is EA's responsibility to keep it clear to prevent flooding. They spent an enormous amount on clearing the back river of this pennywort further up, but this section is infested and everytime there is some rain more weed gets washed into the navigation, bothering anglers and boaters all the way to the Trent and probably beyond.

2006_032714-12-06canal0078-1.jpg

This was a view from North Bridge 3 years ago in the middle of winter but you can see the weed already established. This mat of weed has forced the anglers to move elsewhere after it completely covers the banks and waters much of the year.

Factory premises line both sides without a break for public access but these manufacturing plants will probably continue fade away with no-one interested in moving into the old purpose built premises so this view and access could change soon.

NorthBridge14-09-08.jpg

The broad castiron North Bridge, squeezed by industry on either bank was built in 1870. My earlier post of my visualisation of the 14th century bridge was washed away in the storms of 1795 and replaced by a beautiful stone bridge.

StSundaysBridge1795.jpg

But the builder and the County council who paid for it didn't see the industrial revolution coming as it had a pronounced hump that laden wagons found difficult to surmount so only after 65 years it was gone to be replaced by the current bridge that has many decorative features that echo the old Leicester Abbey that stood half a mile downstream. The pedestrian bridge in Abbey Park built in 1935 is homage of the St Sunday Bridge - the image above is the only one known of this structure. 2006_0107CANAL279060121.jpg

Originally the architect had specified that there would be a gatehouse at either end with operating portcullises - yet another homage to the levelled Abbey, but as usual, money ran out too soon so we just got the bridge.

Roger

That looks the business for getting 'off piste'! I'm hoping that Adrian Lane will take me on their small electric dingy this year, around Frog Island by the old Soar and by canoe up the Soar where it ceases to be a navigation and winds through the flood plain southward to Narborough.

The Nb Greenlife on its quest to see how far we could go to clear the banks and water of the lower reaches, while low water conditions persisted that October 2007 was quite a unique experience especially going under the long Dunns Lane Bridge within a whisker of the underside!

DSCF2166.jpg

This was taken just before we entered the 'tunnel' and the visual dynamic of the old GCR 'Bow-String' Bridge flying over the river bridge. Imagine this place in the 1930's at the end of the day shift with express trains straining away to London overhead and trams and hundreds of cyclists thronging in the murk, cough cough! And beneath an empty unused waterway flows.

Dscf2160.jpg

The Lido Bathing Pool at the other end by the start of the Mile Straight has been used by working boats in the 1960's and is crying out for some simple dredging and veg tidy up and it could be a very useful part of the Nvigation as there could be slipway installed there (None in Leicester which is real pain when we hold the Riverside Festival)

000_0293.jpg

Later

Roger

Roger - very interesting photos of a bit of not often seen Leicester.

My real wish for the Soar is for the citizens of said city and surrounding areas to stop using the river as a tip. IT makes the section below Belgrave look very attractive with thousands of plastic bags and bottles caught in the waterside vegitation!! It is most off putting and eventually the rubbish makes its way downstream until the Loughborough residents add to it and so on.

I don't kow what the answer is unless the local IWA organise an annual clean up each spring to remove the worst of it. I would volunteer to help if organised and might even be able to provide a small dinghy.