head or heart?

Ally

Featured Posts

Oops, pardon me.

Just a thought.

Do you fancy a fit out project?

I know of a Mel Davis shell going reasonably priced.

Tug deck and portholes.

Painted and foam insulated with SST water tank and Lister engine (not coupled up).

Genuine reason for sale.

PM for details.

Thanks for info Andy!!! :lol: Trouble is, now there are 5 contenders for my love!!!!! :lol:

Though may have just ruled one head one out....too small!!

Edited by Ally

Yes, I've seen that (from a safe distance) and am too aware of my own limitations, to try it.

I've juggled fire clubs but that seems to be more controlled.

I'll stick to fire breathing, less skill but more cojones...

Seriously though, how much cabin space has the tug got? How much of it is engine room?

I've seen tugs where the engine is basically an ornament in the living room but I'd imagine that takes a lot of polishing... Although all that apart I'd be in the same dilemma as Ally

I'll stick to fire breathing, less skill but more cojones...

Seriously though, how much cabin space has the tug got? How much of it is engine room?

I've seen tugs where the engine is basically an ornament in the living room but I'd imagine that takes a lot of polishing... Although all that apart I'd be in the same dilemma as Ally

By the time you take the tug deck, engine room and boatmans cabin out, very little! Didn't actually measure it, but I guess the saloon was about 7-8ft. But the boatmans gives good living space, storage, and was all folk used to have! I can live simply, not one for clutter and shoes! As long as I've room for a little dragon........ :lol:

http://www.homeofpoi.com/

Basically, on each hand you get a wick on the end of a chain, soak in kerosene, light it, then twirl it round like a lunatic while drunk!.... well, that's what i do anyway! :lol:

poiab0.th.jpg

*edited to add drunken photo!

Oooh careful with that, last time I tried it when drunk I got one wrapped round my hand, left a nasty burn. Fortunately, I was so drunk I didn't notice till the next morning.

45' tug with a Petter? No contest! Our first boat had a Petter PH2 and, as a non-technical person, I was worried about its reliability, but it never once let us down. Trouble is, that engine got me on to the slippery slope of liking trad engines.

Ally, where is this tug advertised? I'm sure that quite a few of us would like to have a look.

As for Mel Davis, he is the top man: he built our boat in 2005-2006. His boats look beautiful, elegant and chunky at the same time. But they are not budget-priced craft.

I am looking at buying a liveaboard, just for me, and have come up with 4 options. I can't decide between them! :lol: So, I thought I would see if anyone has any thoughts on the boats, to help me along....

The one that grabbed my heart is a 45' tug style, built by Eastwood Engineering, fitted by Ron Hearn, 1954 Petter engine, replica boatmans cabin, all ports......I'm in love!! :lol: But a practical liveaboard???? hmmmmmm. would need some refitting to be a comfy liveaboard.

Am also looking at a 55' trad, built by Dennis Cooper/canal transport services, Dave Freeman fit out....

And a 50' Colecraft trad.....

These two would both need some work to tick my boxes, but could be done over time.

and a 40' Dave Clark cruiser....the most expensive, but seems to need nothing doing at all, and in theory ticks all the boxes (except it has square windows :lol: )

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have, about the build qualities in general....I regret to say I don't know any background about Dennis Cooper or Eastwood engineering. If i go for any of these boats, I want to know i'm choosing well.

I don't need loads of space, am used to living on 57' with 2 of us, so can manage with less space.

And of course........

head or heart????

Thanks!!!

Ally

I had a 50' Eastwood boat. The steel work was well constructed and robust, so I don't think you'll have any problems there. Mine had integral water and pumpout tanks, which where always a worry.

I'm not sure who did the fitout, but it was a 'cheap job' with vinyl faced 'laminates' and chipboard used very extensively. That said it served us well.

Good luck in your deliberations

Which one would you be most gutted about if you had heard it had been sold.

Good question.....a tug with ports will always gut me when somene else owns it instead of me!!!! Have just viewed the Mel Davies..........now my heart belongs to Mel!!!! oohhhh...tuggyy porty boaty!!!! :lol:

and of course to Andywatson now!!!

Edited by Ally

Did you go to Mel's farm to view it? If you you merit at least a gold star for finding the place in under a day. Mrs. Athy and I must have visited at least ten times whilst 'Trojan' was being built, and it was only on about the sixth time that we got there without taking a wrong turning.

How long is the Melboat? Ours is a 45' but he told us that it was about the shortest he had ever made.

Edited by Athy

45' tug with a Petter? No contest! Our first boat had a Petter PH2 and, as a non-technical person, I was worried about its reliability, but it never once let us down. Trouble is, that engine got me on to the slippery slope of liking trad engines.

Ally, where is this tug advertised? I'm sure that quite a few of us would like to have a look.

As for Mel Davis, he is the top man: he built our boat in 2005-2006. His boats look beautiful, elegant and chunky at the same time. But they are not budget-priced craft.

Now if I told you that, You'd ALL want to buy her!!!! Then I'd be gutted if I lost her,.....so maybe that tells me something too!!! If I decide against, I will post it up straight away!!!! Promise! PM me otherwise and I'll tell!!! :lol:

So you have three that you love now

visit them all again and spend a few minutes just sitting in each

then go with the one that stirs your soul

Me? - I'd be looking for the one that has an aura of peace and serenity

Now if I told you that, You'd ALL want to buy her!!!! Then I'd be gutted if I lost her,.....so maybe that tells me something too!!! If I decide against, I will post it up straight away!!!! Promise! PM me otherwise and I'll tell!!! :lol:

Calm down everyone.

We haven't reached the first hurdle yet and toes could be trodden on.

I am currently trying to put Ally in touch with the vendor.

Thanks for info Andy!!! :lol: Trouble is, now there are 5 contenders for my love!!!!! :lol:

Though may have just ruled one head one out....too small!!

Heart all the way! Pt pt pt pt.

Just remember none of us fatties will ever be able to shower in the first tug!

Fluff the Magic Dragon sounds like the best one to me, give us all something to do of an evening to keep us from getting bored anyhoo.

Plus the eyes will fit! ;)

Suppose you're going to want some poi lessons in the near future then? :lol:

I say lets make a battle plan! We need a meeting......ohnoes, beer in the village tonight??? (wonder if i can get marc to carry the poker chips down too? :lol: )

Bon

Heart all the way! Pt pt pt pt.

Just remember none of us fatties will ever be able to shower in the first tug!

Fluff the Magic Dragon sounds like the best one to me, give us all something to do of an evening to keep us from getting bored anyhoo.

Plus the eyes will fit! :lol:

Suppose you're going to want some poi lessons in the near future then? :lol:

I say lets make a battle plan! We need a meeting......ohnoes, beer in the village tonight??? (wonder if i can get marc to carry the poker chips down too? :lol: )

Bon

hehe...yep, beer tonight looking like a must!! :lol: .......let battle commence!.......I can see your liking the name!!! PAH!

A quick update.......

I have, with massive regret, today ruled out the little 45'tug :lol:

In so many ways a perfect little boat, and even now I'm sitting here glum, whilst typing this, still not wanting to rule her out!! But finally, i know I can't live on her practically...

....or can I??? hhmmmmm, thought I'd decided, but just writing down this is making me sooooooo sad!! OH! another night tossing and turning!! At least I am definately down to 3 now!!!!! :lol:

Special update!!! I have, with much help from a certain forum member, to whom I now owe LOADS of beer!!!, managed to procure a very lovely 62' tug.......boat of my dreams......all ports, and, when I've fitted her, mid engine, and all the trimmings!!!! I'm in love!!! :lol:

Now brace yourselves in the near future, for build updates and questions!!!! Gonna be a busy year!!!

Thank you to all the others who have also offered help and or boats.........what a great place this forum is....hope I can return the favours sometime!!!

Hang on though, first question.........

moving a boat with no connected engine......mostly on rivers......best done breasted up or towed butty style?? Any advice?

("tuggy porty boaty!! tuggy porty boaty!! la la la, tuggy porty boaty!") :lol::lol::lol: