At last

MAIZEE

Featured Posts

hi everyone, Just to let you know we dealt with all the paperwork at the solicitors today and he has now requested the money from the bank, 4 working days so that should be with us by Wed at the latest next week. This is beyond words but it's just absolutely the most amazing time in our lives. Just hope it lives up to the dream....

Lois

Hi mike, can i ask about the leeds, liverpool. At the wigan locks i believe there are 2 options. option one head north towards say leeds, york. Or head towards the new liverpool link and the And the albert dock. Is it correct that the locks heading Liverpool way at the leeds junction are long enough for our 65' boat but the locks heading north are too small.

Would be grateful for your advice.

Lois

Lois, Hope it all goes smoothly!!

Actually we've not done the Wigan-Liverpool direction yet, but referring to my Nicholson's guide, you are correct: 72 feet max. The Rufford branch, which heads up towards the Lancaster, does have a restriction however: 62 feet max.

It's such a shame you'll miss the delights of the Wigan flight!! SWMBO's least favourite flight so far - 21 locks in about 2 miles!! :lol:

Edited by MikeV

Knowing our luck the freeze will return and we will be stuck. Never mind we can still play around.

MIKE; thanks for verifying that.

Are there any books that are a must have......

Lois

Carole Sampson's First Mate Guides at canalmate.co.uk Shows you where the shops, doctors, hospitals are

Sue

We have being living aboard for just over a year, we sold up after realising we were working our butts of to pay for a house that was too big and was just not practical for two people.

Our boat was 16 years old and in very resonable condition, we made a few changes such as new worktops in the kitchen, new bath and vanity unit and built some more cupboards in the kitchen, fitted a washing machine and installed a new gas cooker and heating system. Now we have the boat just as we want it, life is fantastic. I would not go back to living in a house even if someone paid for me to do it. I wish we had made this move a few years ago but we had to wait for the kids to leave home first.

Our teething problems have been things like - not really knowing what we were doing when we first moved on (even though we had spent nearly a year researching the subject).

Its been a fantastic experience so far and there is so much more to come - Lovin it!!!!!

We have being living aboard for just over a year, we sold up after realising we were working our butts of to pay for a house that was too big and was just not practical for two people.

Our boat was 16 years old and in very resonable condition, we made a few changes such as new worktops in the kitchen, new bath and vanity unit and built some more cupboards in the kitchen, fitted a washing machine and installed a new gas cooker and heating system. Now we have the boat just as we want it, life is fantastic. I would not go back to living in a house even if someone paid for me to do it. I wish we had made this move a few years ago but we had to wait for the kids to leave home first.

Our teething problems have been things like - not really knowing what we were doing when we first moved on (even though we had spent nearly a year researching the subject).

Its been a fantastic experience so far and there is so much more to come - Lovin it!!!!!

thank you for sharing that with us no matter how many stories you hear about people giving up their house for a narrowboat you never tire of the enthusiasm.

We did intend selling the house first but trying to find a Nb with 2 true bedrooms proved a problem and so when we saw this one we went for it. Having no mortgage to start with helped, now we just can't wait for next week when we can paick her up but are terrified of the moment we are 'on our own' not quite the same as hiring and having back up at the end of the phone..

We keep trying to envisage things that we may not have but will need but i think this is a bad idea as the one thing we don't get will be the thing we need.

Can't wait to get some pics on here.

Thanks again for posting

Lois & Tim

thank you for sharing that with us no matter how many stories you hear about people giving up their house for a narrowboat you never tire of the enthusiasm.

We did intend selling the house first but trying to find a Nb with 2 true bedrooms proved a problem and so when we saw this one we went for it. Having no mortgage to start with helped, now we just can't wait for next week when we can paick her up but are terrified of the moment we are 'on our own' not quite the same as hiring and having back up at the end of the phone..

We keep trying to envisage things that we may not have but will need but i think this is a bad idea as the one thing we don't get will be the thing we need.

Can't wait to get some pics on here.

Thanks again for posting

Lois & Tim

You might not have back up at the end of the phone Lois, but you certainly will on your computer :lol:

5th Winter for us and we love it!!

Roger

but are terrified of the moment we are 'on our own' not quite the same as hiring and having back up at the end of the phone..

That's one of my worries. We've only hired before as well - when things go wrong we've got to figure it out. Also when people see an owned boat they assume that the crew are proficient - help! Can you buy L plates for a narrowboat?

That's one of my worries. We've only hired before as well - when things go wrong we've got to figure it out. Also when people see an owned boat they assume that the crew are proficient - help! Can you buy L plates for a narrowboat?

The guys on our pontoon fitted L plates to our cruiser the first week we had her after we cocked up pulling into our mooring in full view of everybody (well it felt like everybody) on the pontoon. We had only hired before but have found that if you ask around everybody is more than happy to answer any questions you have.

One of our worries is winding holes, the book i have shows them but no sizes. Will they all be big enough for our 65' boat. Don't want to plan a trip to a certain winding hole to turn round at and find it's too small!!

Also on the hire boats you have to stop cruising at dusk, though i understand this is sensible we were just wondering if this is a rule of the hire companies or of BW.

Lois

One of our worries is winding holes, the book i have shows them but no sizes. Will they all be big enough for our 65' boat. Don't want to plan a trip to a certain winding hole to turn round at and find it's too small!!

Also on the hire boats you have to stop cruising at dusk, though i understand this is sensible we were just wondering if this is a rule of the hire companies or of BW.

Lois

Hire companies but check your insurance.

Sue

Hire company rules, they will quote insurance reasons but its probably common sense anyway for the inexperienced. You can usually cruise whenever you want with your own boat, but best to wait until you are fully aware of your abilities before tackling locks etc.

Also be aware that people around you houses and boats may be asleep and be considerate.

Did you get a mooring at Preston Brook?

Edited by david and julie

Hire company rules, they will quote insurance reasons but its probably common sense anyway for the inexperienced. You can usually cruise whenever you want with your own boat, but best to wait until you are fully aware of your abilities before tackling locks etc.

Also be aware that people around you houses and boats may be asleep and be considerate.

Did you get a mooring at Preston Brook?

Yes, we did get a mooring there. Be it on the marina wall and not on a pontoon and no elec hook up but we are made up. Means we only have to travel for 10 mins to the boat. If we hadn't managed a mooring there we would have had to travel to Orchard Marina...30-40mins, or Swanley marina 45-60 mins. It also means we can stay aboard any night we please as school is only 10 miutes away too.

Are you close by? :lol: probably on Preston brook marina :lol:

Lois

Yes, we did get a mooring there. Be it on the marina wall and not on a pontoon and no elec hook up but we are made up. Means we only have to travel for 10 mins to the boat. If we hadn't managed a mooring there we would have had to travel to Orchard Marina...30-40mins, or Swanley marina 45-60 mins. It also means we can stay aboard any night we please as school is only 10 miutes away too.

Are you close by? :lol: probably on Preston brook marina :lol:

Lois

Yes I am close by, I will send you a PM.

Edited by david and julie

Well guys the big day has come, we have a bankers draft in hand and we are picking our NB up in the morning. Can't wait to be on the cut again.

Worried about mooring in the marina without making a fool of ourselves but what the heck i guess it's a learning curve.

it's all just too exciting.... Pictures as soon as i can figur out how to attach them to my post on here, had a look the other day but could only find somewhere to write a URL..help appreciated...any instructions must be as simple as possible ..LOL

Lois & tim

Well here goes. I took these photo's last week and was hoping to post our NB with her new name on wich happened today but alas the batteries in the camera decided it wasn't to be so i am posting these now and the new MAIZEE will be on hopefullt tomorrow.

We are pleased with the outcome although we needed help from ashore as i tried to turn her round to do the other side and the wind took hold. I did well apparently. As i looked back to the marina wall for reassurance i felt like i was miles out at sea and it was hard not to panic. All done now and my ability a little improved!!

the first pic is of MAIZEE herself...the dog not the NB of course...............

IMGP0157.jpg

IMGP0165.jpg

IMGP0166.jpg

IMGP0167.jpg

IMGP0168.jpg

IMGP0169.jpg

IMGP0173.jpg

Thay are a little dark sorry, will try and get some better ones tomorrow....life is fantastic..

Lois & Tim

Edited by MAIZEE

Awwww - that is one CUTE puppy!!!

Hope you have many happy times on the boat too

thanks for the cute puppie quote.....

Been at the Marina all weekend and had help twice from other Boaters, how kind is everyone.. the wind took us twice when we tried to get out of the marina, don't know how long they will be patient!!

Lois & Tim

Nice boat!

Are you SURE you want to rename it? I thought about renaming mine but then you lose part of its history - it's nice to meet people who recognise your boat and can tell you something about its past. Plus some boaters will tell you that renaming a boat in the water is unlucky and the only way to avoid the bad luck is to buy all of your waterways mates lots of beers (there is slightly more to it than this, but I do mean 'slightly').

• 2 weeks later...