eberspacher

Featured Posts

:lol: I have a eberspacher hydronic d5 5kw, water found in exhaust causing steam to come out of exhaust outlet, naturaly i thought must be gaskets, i have replaced all the gaskets, unit working fine for 4 days, blow me down water once again in exhaust, is there something im missing here or is it just a failed gasket? can anyone advice please, im based nr manchester.

:lol: I have a eberspacher hydronic d5 5kw, water found in exhaust causing steam to come out of exhaust outlet, naturaly i thought must be gaskets, i have replaced all the gaskets, unit working fine for 4 days, blow me down water once again in exhaust, is there something im missing here or is it just a failed gasket? can anyone advice please, im based nr manchester.

Are you sure the water isn't just condensation from the exhaust gasses? Buring any hydrocarbon fuel results in exhaust containing carbon-dioxide and water. In hot weather the water will be steam, but as it gets colder, it could be condensing to liquid water in the exhaust. It's certainly got colder recently....

MP.

Are you sure the water isn't just condensation from the exhaust gasses? Buring any hydrocarbon fuel results in exhaust containing carbon-dioxide and water. In hot weather the water will be steam, but as it gets colder, it could be condensing to liquid water in the exhaust. It's certainly got colder recently....

MP.

Hi thanks for your reply, no the steam is really bad out of the exhaust, when i removed the exhaust from the unit there were water drips coming from the outlet on the d5, when i looked at the large gasket this was perished its only been on 4days? ill try another gasket if that fails ill take to dealer.

If I were you I'd start by making sure my fuel wasn't contaminated - either with water or with diesel bug.

Try Marine 16. http://www.force4.co.uk/5096/Force-4-Marin...0%A2-100ml.html

There is a fuel treatment for treating contaminated fuel (small bottle) and also a preventative to stop it coming back (large bottle). It came out as one of the best in the Practical Boat Owner tests a few years ago. http://www.assinkchemie.nl/pdf/pbo.pdf

However, from what I have seen, once an erberspacher goes wrong then trying to fix it is like chucking money down a dark hole.

One guy I know paid a lot of dough to get an authorised erberspacher engineer out to fix his only for it to go wrong again a few weeks later. Then they wanted to charge him again!

I use my DW10 as an auxillary form of heating - my main being the solid fuel stove - so it's only on for an hour or two a day in winter and it's been fine for the last 3 years. I've also heard it's good to run them once a week for an hour even in summer to maintain them.

What these heaters don't seem to like is being used as a main form of domestic liveaboard heating, and I've promised myself that when mine eventually goes wrong if I can't fix it myself then I'll replace it with a Webasto.

Edited by blackrose

What these heaters don't seem to like is being used as a main form of domestic liveaboard heating, and I've promised myself that when mine eventually goes wrong if I can't fix it myself then I'll replace it with a Webasto.

Out of the fryingpan, in to the fire!

Kabola's a different kettle of johnnies. I think they only make either mains or 24v heaters don't they?

Yes the forced draught ones are.

I am actually in the market for a 24v diesel heater at the moment. I have had experience of both Eberspacher and Webasto, so I know what these are like but I wondered if anyone has any first hand experience of other makes and would care to provide a recommendation. Sorry to go :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

HI IVE GOT SOME WEBASTO THERMAL TOP C HEATERS THEY ARE BRAND NEW COST £800 FROM WEBASTO £200 EACH 5KW GOT 20 LEFT SOON BE GONE THEY HAVE EXHAUST TUBE ON BARGAIN CAME FROM ROVER LINE WHEN WENT BUST FOR ROVER 75 DENMARK MODELS TO WARM CAR UP BEFORE GOING TO WORK IN -30S SAME AS MARINE ONE UNUSED

HI IVE GOT SOME WEBASTO THERMAL TOP C HEATERS THEY ARE BRAND NEW COST £800 FROM WEBASTO £200 EACH 5KW GOT 20 LEFT SOON BE GONE THEY HAVE EXHAUST TUBE ON BARGAIN CAME FROM ROVER LINE WHEN WENT BUST FOR ROVER 75 DENMARK MODELS TO WARM CAR UP BEFORE GOING TO WORK IN -30S SAME AS MARINE ONE UNUSED

Unless there is something special about your particular webastos, most Rover 75 diesels had these fitted, not just Denmark.

Richard

You sure your exhaust is letting water in??? ie: a drain hole right above?? or an exhaust route without a neck to stop water entering?

I had a DW10 until recently and was always pretty good. but from experience when they do go wrong it can be expensive.

Im going to fit a Hurricane to my new boat a friend of mine had one after having two Dw5 Eberspachers and a webasto and says its the best heater hes had

There also really easy to service as you can remove the burn chamber without having to dismantle the whole heater unlike the eberspacher.

Ads