6ft bedroom

Bones

Featured Posts

Thanks Roger, I would appreciate that! I have emailed them. Having stripped most of it down, just leaving the bed, I think their design is probably the best.

How often do you need to go past into the engine room? My hanging space is a doorless wardrobe which goes partly across my front doors. If I want to access the front deck (which is just used for storage - don't often have to climb out) I just push the hanging clothes aside to open doors - good insulation too! In theory you could have a pole going the width of the boat over the bed - slide the contents across to bed side or corridor side depending on which bit you want to use. Depends how unrumpled you like your frocks.

I access the engine room at all times, nice idea, but it wouldn't work for me. Thanks.

Does anyone know how the hinge mechanism is put together?

Don't worry, architect-drawn plans are being prepared as we speak!

The bed itself is simple- a large sheet of ply to fit the size of the mattress, with 4x1 planks around it to make a tray shape, and 4x1s underneath it to reinforce the ply. It's held together with bolts and screws.

The two hinges are each just "Dexion" shelving brackets- like angle iron with holes in- attached to the bed box, one either side of a 4mm or something piece of steel that sticks out from the lining- presumably it's attached to the framing in some way.

The bed box is supported by some sizeable 3x3 timber frames attached to the bulkheads at either end, and the frame of the wardrobe underneath is also 3x3 and sizeable. There's three gas struts, one at each end of the bed, and one on the side of the wardrobe.

The ingredients for the bed, I think, are a ply sheet to fit the mattress, 4x1 and 3x3 for the framing, assorted bolts and screws, Dexion-type angled steel, and some gas struts.

The bed itself is simple- a large sheet of ply to fit the size of the mattress, with 4x1 planks around it to make a tray shape, and 4x1s underneath it to reinforce the ply. It's held together with bolts and screws.

The two hinges are each just "Dexion" shelving brackets- like angle iron with holes in- attached to the bed box, one either side of a 4mm or something piece of steel that sticks out from the lining- presumably it's attached to the framing in some way.

The bed box is supported by some sizeable 3x3 timber frames attached to the bulkheads at either end, and the frame of the wardrobe underneath is also 3x3 and sizeable. There's three gas struts, one at each end of the bed, and one on the side of the wardrobe.

The ingredients for the bed, I think, are a ply sheet to fit the mattress, 4x1 and 3x3 for the framing, assorted bolts and screws, Dexion-type angled steel, and some gas struts.

Brilliant! Thank you!!! Maffi says he will buy you a lemonade....

I am looking forward to the drawings too. Thank you!

If you want a new matress try the Edwardian Bedding Co. who advertise in WW. They did a made to measure one for us and it was very good.

Do you have a brass roof vent in the space? If so you might want to consider a way of catching the condensation from it which can produce stains of a dubious looking nature on your new matress!! We use a nice turned wood bowl suspended under the vent.

If you go down the route of a fixed bed with storage under neath hinge the bed base because there will be some usefull stoarge for those once in a blue moon items.

If you want a new matress try the Edwardian Bedding Co. who advertise in WW. They did a made to measure one for us and it was very good.

Do you have a brass roof vent in the space? If so you might want to consider a way of catching the condensation from it which can produce stains of a dubious looking nature on your new matress!! We use a nice turned wood bowl suspended under the vent.

If you go down the route of a fixed bed with storage under neath hinge the bed base because there will be some usefull stoarge for those once in a blue moon items.

thanks. I will probably get a new mattress, but I don't think I will need a made to measure at 6 x 4ft... I have horrid spaceship air vents, and they do the whole raining thing, so I am looking forward to taking them off and clearing them out!

thanks. I will probably get a new mattress, but I don't think I will need a made to measure at 6 x 4ft...

You'll probably find something ready made, but don't forget that even a "small double" has a length of 6 foot 3 ins, (or to be pedantic whatever the near metric equivalent of that is - 190 centimetres, I think ours was).

You'll probably find something ready made, but don't forget that even a "small double" has a length of 6 foot 3 ins, (or to be pedantic whatever the near metric equivalent of that is - 190 centimetres, I think ours was).

The room is actually 6ft 4 and I currently have a standard mattress, so I see why I wouldn't get another.

The room is actually 6ft 4 and I currently have a standard mattress, so I see why I wouldn't get another.

Fair enough, but it was you who mentioned the 6 foot by 4 foot size.

My brain sometimes sees what's in an individual post, without sanity checking it's content to the rest of an entire thread, to see if any adjustment is needed to the figures supplied.

If you have 6' 3" available for your new bed, and that's not reduced by any box or framing it needs to go into, you'll have no trouble buying an off the peg mattress.

We bought a memory foam one, and it's truly superb - much better than a home one costing twice the price.

Fair enough, but it was you who mentioned the 6 foot by 4 foot size.

My brain sometimes sees what's in an individual post, without sanity checking it's content to the rest of an entire thread, to see if any adjustment is needed to the figures supplied.

If you have 6' 3" available for your new bed, and that's not reduced by any box or framing it needs to go into, you'll have no trouble buying an off the peg mattress.

We bought a memory foam one, and it's truly superb - much better than a home one costing twice the price.

I just used 6x4 as the bed measurement. I have heard about memory foam mattress' so I will try out them all when I get that far!

We've just got a folded sheet of kitchen roll held on with a strip of gaffer tape...

Cheers drac! It looks very cosy and cave like doesn't it, shame it goes across the room though.

Hello,

Thanks for the plans - I picked them up off your website, they are ace! I just have one question - is the bed hinged below or above the gunwhale?

Edited by Bones