Mobile Pay-As-You-Go Broadband

Reptile Smile

Featured Posts

There are several, 3, Orange, 02, Vodafone, etc: try the link at the end of this post, you'll need a laptop with the majority although some offer a laptop in the deal but LOOK at any Laptop that some offer, some of them look great on paper but when you actually SEE what's on offer it don't look so good. Make sure your selection covers the area you're going to cruise, also check the download allowance and speed, take time to check what you get for your money.

Hope this helps, at least it's a start.

Have fun

John

http://www.top10-broadband.co.uk/types/mobile_broadband/

So far that's all I've been able to find, I was told that there was a way of getting it almost for free [better than PAYG] using two offers together from Vodafone, you take out one offer which then makes you a customer that's entitled to another offer with Cashback that amounts to almost the same as you paid out for the first offer which you can then cancel after one month and get your original payment refunded less one month. Someone else out there might know about PAYG mobile BB but can't say I've seen any yet, sorry. They might also be able to post a link, if still available, to the Vodafone scam.

I'll watch this string with interest, hopefully we'll both benefit.

Good luck.

John

Edited by johnjo

'3' do a pay as you go used by several of us on here

Pay for the modem, then buy 30 day's worth of usage as you need it.

http://threestore.three.co.uk/payg/?modem=1&id=1183

A good option for those not on board all the time, but unlikely to be better than a contract for those who are.

It's not really like PAYG on a phone, because any credit left unused at the end of 30 days gets deleted.

Dont expect to get broadband all the time,Im using Tmobile on contract and only get neer broadband speeds when in the city,the rest of the time it seems to depend on weather and how high the river is.The shop staff,with the big ties and spiky hair can show you a map with there signle strenth on,so you can check out your moorings for coverage.

I have 3g on the dongle pay as you go.

I think its robbery that they don't roll over unused credit.

I think a joint complaint to the appropriate body is required really to try and change this.

I think it is a realistic quest if enough people would sign up to it.

At the end of the day when you pay your money you should get what you pay for, fairs fair.

On some contract deals unused time ect gets rolled over.

On the subject of service its really hit and miss and Im in a good area for reception.

Sometimes it just drops dead.

On the flip side its cool you can get your email on the move despite the rusty technology.

I have a contract with Vodfone that is about to end at present I pay £25 per month new contract offered is £15 per month I found with Vodafone I was spending more time on 2g than 3g so in September took a Pay as you go with 3 to see what it was like and can say that it is very rare that I don't get a 3g signal. I bought it in Rugby and I am now at the bottom of Llangollen and can only think of one time I have not had a 3g connection. I wont be renewing my Vodafone contract.

With regard to mrbeats comment concerning unused credit I understand what you are saying but I guess if they did not do this then no one would take out a contract, I am not a techy but guess unlike mobile phone it is more difficult with broadband to charge just by use.

I completed a 12 month contract with t-mob so rang up and asked what their best deal was for me; I was offered £15 a month (3 gig) + £10 loyalty fee taking my monthly bill to £5 - Result!

So far they've messed up the billing and not charged me for the last 3 months - double result!

Reptile: If you've got a mobile phone check to see if it can be used as a modem; if you only want the internet for light browsing and emails you might be able to get away with just using that. Check your contract small print though.

Reptile: If you've got a mobile phone check to see if it can be used as a modem; if you only want the internet for light browsing and emails you might be able to get away with just using that. Check your contract small print though.

I have a Nokia N95 on Vod with the £7.50pm web access package and can confirm i get away with it. I've connected my laptop through it for the last four months for light usage with no comeback. Can't recall what the limit is, but it's a lot less than a dedicated package, although plenty for my needs, and it's clear that Vodafone at least, don't care whether it's your phone or your laptop using it.

Orangeworld PAYG is unlimited download (Fair use) for £12 per month. You have to transfer £12 of your credit to Orangeworld each month, sometimes it runs over for weeks, so you end up with loads of free internet :lol:

I have 3g on the dongle pay as you go.

I think its robbery that they don't roll over unused credit.

I think a joint complaint to the appropriate body is required really to try and change this.

I think we should campaign to make Marmite taste nice, too!

If you don't like the service, on offer, don't use it!

Some people seem to like it but I had big problems with 3. After literally weeks on the phone talking to their technical helpdesk in India and the issue being endlessly escalated to the next level, I lost my rag, sent the dongle back with a strongly worded letter and cancelled the direct debit.

I'm looking for a new provider now but I'll be extremely careful before getting involved again. A guy from Carphone Warehouse told me they have a lot of problems with 3. He showed me the 3 signal coverage map on his computer screen and told me that this is what the technical people see in India when you call to say you have no service. It may show good coverage even though there isn't any!

The Marmite case is actually worse because (assuming you've missed the last 10 years of their ad campaign), there were no terms & conditions telling you it tastes like shit! :lol:

Edited by blackrose

Orangeworld PAYG is unlimited download (Fair use) for £12 per month. You have to transfer £12 of your credit to Orangeworld each month, sometimes it runs over for weeks, so you end up with loads of free internet :lol:

Strange, I just called Orange and they said they don't have mobile broadband in a PAYG option - you have to sign a contract. They also said they don't have a fair use policy. If you go over your download limit you have to pay. Perhaps you got yours before they stopped the deal?

Strange, I just called Orange and they said they don't have mobile broadband in a PAYG option - you have to sign a contract. They also said they don't have a fair use policy. If you go over your download limit you have to pay. Perhaps you got yours before they stopped the deal?

Orangeworld is, technically, their mobile phone only service.

You're not supposed to connect to your computer and their "fair use policy" basically meant (when I used it) that, after 1Gig, the service slowed to a crawl.

I got my mobile broadband from PC World with T Mobile. I even got a free laptop. It's on contract for 2 years but i only pay #12.77 a month so it's probably cheaper than pay as you go. It'a not the quickest speed but ok for what I do.

Reception on my boat is the main problem, I often have to sit outside to get good reception and that's no fun when it's cold.. :lol:

I got my mobile broadband from PC World with T Mobile. I even got a free laptop. It's on contract for 2 years but i only pay #12.77 a month so it's probably cheaper than pay as you go. It'a not the quickest speed but ok for what I do.

Reception on my boat is the main problem, I often have to sit outside to get good reception and that's no fun when it's cold.. :lol:

Have you tried a USB extension cable? Those dongles don't like steel boats. Hang the dongle out the window in a plastic bag.

Edit: Just don't do it on the towpath side or some chav will have it!

Edited by blackrose

Have you tried a USB extension cable? Those dongles don't like steel boats. Hang the dongle out the window in a plastic bag.

Edit: Just don't do it on the towpath side or some chav will have it!

I haven't tried that, i'll pop into my local computer shop and try it. It can be outside in the cold and not me.

I have found that using a PAYG mobile handset for mobile BB works quite well. Most (all?) networks charge you a maximum of £1/day for all the internet you can use - within a reasonable limit. If you buy a handset with Bluetooth you can even do away with cables and put the mobile somewhere it works well - outside in a plastic box for example. I guess that one might be better off with a contract if using it every day but for occasional use, upto 10-15 days/month you would be quids in.

Chris

People who buy Marmite like my self do so because they like it.

However if I bought it and it did have something wrong with it I would be have Morrisons or Tesco ect giving me an apology and options as to what I would like.

Eg my money back an alternative or an exchange.

I have paid up front with 3g including buying a dongle that cost £50 based on the advertised goods and service on offer, who will not refund anyone on pay as you go once credit time has been allocated.

Its not simply a case of if you don't like it don't use it as I have paid for it and invested money in their harware so they have effectively removed my freedom of choice.

Thankfully offcom are actually coming down on such practices because not everyone has your view Carl.

I can see no sence in your thinking that if I have unused credit I should'nt receive the service I have paid for until that credit has been used.

Thats a bit like me fitting a boiler that don't work on Fridays and telling you if you don't like it go and buy another one for Fridays.

Hi all

I've tried that 3 one on PAYG and its useless. Its been heavily oversubscribed and feels slower than dial-up v.92 was back in the day.

Using your mobile as the modem, in most cases, will get you hit with a bill thats astronomical even with very little usage (under 1gb).

There is good news, i've been lent a contract Tmobile web n walk dongle on the 8gb package and its superb. Tmobile is the only one thats backwards compatible with all the different protocols as far i can see and that means its still useable in the worst places.

Having said that please dont buy it, it will get oversubsribed and slow to the crawl of the 3 netwrok if everyone jumps on it.

So to conclude i recommend orange or vodafone :lol: haha

Thats actually a good deal especially if you are thinking of getting a new laptop.

Considering I pay at least £10 a month with 3 and payed £50 for the dongle.

Do you get to keep the laptop at the end of the two years and do you get any upgrade options after a period of time?

People who buy Marmite like my self do so because they like it.

However if I bought it and it did have something wrong with it I would be have Morrisons or Tesco ect giving me an apology and options as to what I would like.

Eg my money back an alternative or an exchange.

I have paid up front with 3g including buying a dongle that cost £50 based on the advertised goods and service on offer, who will not refund anyone on pay as you go once credit time has been allocated.

Its not simply a case of if you don't like it don't use it as I have paid for it and invested money in their harware so they have effectively removed my freedom of choice.

Thankfully offcom are actually coming down on such practices because not everyone has your view Carl.

I can see no sence in your thinking that if I have unused credit I should'nt receive the service I have paid for until that credit has been used.

Thats a bit like me fitting a boiler that don't work on Fridays and telling you if you don't like it go and buy another one for Fridays.

I can only assume you failed to do the research, before purchasing, by reading the terms and conditions.

I didn't buy the payg 3 package because I knew you couldn't carry the credit over, to the next month.

I did my research before buying, rather than moaning afterwards.

If the terms and conditions state clearly, that the boiler doesn't work on Fridays, then you have no comeback, if you failed to do the research.

Bit of a recurring theme, isn't it.