Glueing polyethylene to wood

Featured Posts

Hey Peeps,

I need to stick a couple of 3mm polyethylene strips to the inside of my hatch - which is lined with ply. I've been using a non-solvent gap filling adhesive for other bits, but I know that you can't use it on polyethylene or polyurethane.

I've had a look round on the web and I know that there are adhesives recommended for this purpose (3m scotch spay stuff) - but its expensive and I can only see myself using it once (ie just for this job).

Is there anything more common and cheaper that would be suitable for doing this job - perhaps wood glue or pva? I'd like to make a decent job of it so it doesn;t have to be done again.

Thanks!

Nick

Hey Peeps,

I need to stick a couple of 3mm polyethylene strips to the inside of my hatch - which is lined with ply. I've been using a non-solvent gap filling adhesive for other bits, but I know that you can't use it on polyethylene or polyurethane.

I've had a look round on the web and I know that there are adhesives recommended for this purpose (3m scotch spay stuff) - but its expensive and I can only see myself using it once (ie just for this job).

Is there anything more common and cheaper that would be suitable for doing this job - perhaps wood glue or pva? I'd like to make a decent job of it so it doesn;t have to be done again.

Thanks!

Nick

Polyethylene, like polypropylene is quite a difficult substance to join. Often it will be welded because not many of the solvent based adheseives that will bond say PVC will work. Suggest you try a hot melt glue gun, may hold for some time but will probably fail long term.

PeterF.

Hey Peeps,

Thanks!

Nick

Screw it on with brass or stainless screws, bed it onto something like Sikaflex. I don't think you'll have much luck glueing it.

Tim

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Ok let's say that I abandon the adhesive route here and screw the plastic in place instead. I want to maintain a percectly flat, flush surface so I would probably have to counter sink? - only thing is that my plastic runners are only 3mm thick. Could I still do this?

Perhaps there's a far simpler way of doing this that I'm missing here....let me know if you come up with anything!

Thanks again

Nic

Edited by nickelodeus

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. Ok let's say that I abandon the adhesive route here and screw the plastic in place instead. I want to maintain a percectly flat, flush surface so I would probably have to counter sink? - only thing is that my plastic runners are only 3mm thick. Could I still do this?

Perhaps there's a far simpler way of doing this that I'm missing here....let me know if you come up with anything!

Thanks again

Nic

Not sure if its cosmetic trim or a load bearing runner but if the former, double sided sellotape, carpet tape or foam strip might work - the double sided carpet tape is mega sticky and strong.

On the subject of adhesives I am quite a fan of Evostick impact adhesive. once set it appears to be stable in sunlight / waterproof and I have used outside to finish seal cable connections where it has lasted years. And it smells great !! :lol:

Nick

Hi Guys,

Nic

Yes, countersinking in 3mm no problem. Use a proper countersink bit the right size for your screws, don't try with a drill bit as the angle is wrong, plus you'll almost certainly end up with a bigger hole right through the plastic.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

What about "no nails" or silicon sealer?

Sounds like the stuff that kitchens are lined with & they use some sort of mastic to slick it up.

Justme

Polyethylene is notoriously difficult stuff to stick, normal adhesives don't stand a chance.

Tim

I used "no nails " for my runners

Steve

I used Grip Fill when I glued strips on our hatch where it runs on the brass runners. Its under compression all the time with a shear force when you slide the hatch. I took the hatches off last time out to have a bit of welding done on them and all 4 strips were still sound.