Yanmar diesel

Featured Posts

As some of you may be aware I'm looking for a cheap narrowboat and open to any offers, the one at greenford (see wanted shell thread) well the owner says he won't sell but he's on a loser, he has had no BW license for ages and it won't be long before they catch up...why am i posting on Maintenance ??? well the latest on the boat is the owner cannot get the engine to start, it's a Yanmar and I wondered if any of you are experienced with these motors, because if he gives in and sells me the old boat I would need to get the engine up and running..any advice :lol:

As some of you may be aware I'm looking for a cheap narrowboat and open to any offers, the one at greenford (see wanted shell thread) well the owner says he won't sell but he's on a loser, he has had no BW license for ages and it won't be long before they catch up...why am i posting on Maintenance ??? well the latest on the boat is the owner cannot get the engine to start, it's a Yanmar and I wondered if any of you are experienced with these motors, because if he gives in and sells me the old boat I would need to get the engine up and running..any advice :lol:

Very common modern engine with a Mitsubishi base that is probably going to be Barrus Shire badged if it keel cooled so it shouldn't prove difficult to work with.

Very common modern engine with a Mitsubishi base that is probably going to be Barrus Shire badged if it keel cooled so it shouldn't prove difficult to work with.

Unless Gary knows the boat he may not be right. If the boat is "cheap" and so on then it may well be one of the proper Yanmar one or two cylinder marine engines and from what I have heard Barrus do not seem to have been over much help so its search the internet type engine.

Having said that from those I have seen I do not think that the basic engine and fuel system differ markedly form others of that ilk so any experienced bod should be able to sort most things.

Hi there

Do you know which engine it is - Hp,age cylinders?

Barrus marinise Yanmar engines

Alex

Well it could be anything from a blocked fuel filter to a fully seized engine via knackered batteries.

Hi Sid.

If I understand your initial post correctly, you have it in mind to sort out the engine in some way before buying it and the boat.. Is this really in your interests, a boat with a non-running engine will have a far lower value..

Modern diesels are all much the same when it comes to diagnosing and rectifying problems, unless there is something radically wrong with it which is most unlikely, it will not be a lot of trouble to get it going.. But wait a while and do it for yourself not for the vendor.

Edited by John Orentas

A few Yanmar YSE12 engines found their way into NB's. I used to have one; they are a copy of an old WW2 Coventry Climax design, but oddly minus a cylinder.. They are a single cylinder horizontal engine and simplicity itself. Spares are getting thin on the ground but still available at a price.

John O

Thanks for your comments yes I'm aware of this and I'm hoping he can't get it going, my mate (known as diesel Bob) said it would be no probs, so i only hope he is right. If I get a hold of the boat I'm going to return to manchester on the water, which should take 11 days and will be lots of fun seeing as the boat is a total wreck :lol:

Steady on :lol: If this is an old boat you know nothing about (apart from the fact the engine needs attention), consider some of the potential problems. Usually old boats have various degrees of pitting. If you're lucky the bottom plate might be O.K. and just the sides may need the attention of a welder. If you're not so lucky, both the bottom plate and sides may be deeply pitted. That means the lifespan of your boat may be limited unless you decide to overplate.

I know of at least a couple of old boats and one of them I actually had a survey carried out on. This was a Colecraft eighties boat and it turned out to have quite severe pitting. It's now for sale at quite a cheap price but could be put to rights for about 7 K, split between the vendor and buyer. That would round off about 16 K all in all for a reshoed and replated Colecraft and a working engine.

I myself bought an old boat which needed less overplating work carried out but looked at one or two old boats as I went along. As I say, most old boats come with pitted hulls to some degree and the problem is best addressed now rather than later.

There's no harm at all in buying an old banger of a boat but if you want it to endure, you need to consider the condition of the hull, especially for insurance purposes.

John O

Thanks for your comments yes I'm aware of this and I'm hoping he can't get it going, my mate (known as diesel Bob) said it would be no probs, so i only hope he is right. If I get a hold of the boat I'm going to return to manchester on the water, which should take 11 days and will be lots of fun seeing as the boat is a total wreck :lol:

They're a very popular choice at sea for boat engines. They have quite a good reputation.

A few Yanmar YSE12 engines found their way into NB's. I used to have one; they are a copy of an old WW2 Coventry Climax design, but oddly minus a cylinder.. They are a single cylinder horizontal engine and simplicity itself. Spares are getting thin on the ground but still available at a price.