Tarporley

Chertsey

Featured Posts

In a last ditch attempt to get my hands on a Large Northwich, I appear to have got myself appointed as Marketing Officer for the Camden Canals and Narrowboat Association, who run Tarporley.

We're currently redeveloping the website and are on the lookout for old photos of the boat, both from carrying days, and its time as a camping/community boat for Camden Council. Memories from anyone who was involved with it in any way would also be very welcome.

As I'm sure you know she was a "Wendover boat", so if you can find someone who has a library of pictures from then, you might get a snap of her before rescue.

The only problem with Wendover Arm boat pictures is trying to work out which boat packed in like sardines to the next is which! Most pictures I've seen are taken end on, with few names or numbers visible. (I was there climbing all over them, but never thought to record such detail).

An article by Harry Arnold the the November 1984 magazine "Narrow Boat" shows a good shot of Tarporley, pre Wendover, tied up at Atherstone with butty Beverley in August 1963, (both unloaded and in BW blue with yellow lettering).

This is a Harry Arnold photo, so I guess you would need to get permission about copywright before you could use it.

In a last ditch attempt to get my hands on a Large Northwich, I appear to have got myself appointed as Marketing Officer for the Camden Canals and Narrowboat Association, who run Tarporley.

We're currently redeveloping the website and are on the lookout for old photos of the boat, both from carrying days, and its time as a camping/community boat for Camden Council. Memories from anyone who was involved with it in any way would also be very welcome.

Picture all of 20 years old:

105547783.jpg

PM me with your e-mail address if you want a high res version.

Have lots of recent pictures of the boat.

Tim

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. It was a nice surprise to come back after only a couple of hours to find five replies and a PM. No, I hadn't known it was a 'Wendover boat' so any photo of them - without necessarily being able to identify it individually - will be interesting.

pm the webmaster of this website - they seem to have had involvement with Tarporley in its early community boat days London Canals (my new favourite website!)

What a good site. I will contact him as you suggest.