Gardner 4LW difficult to start

Featured Posts

Just realised you're talking to me!

Yes, he resolved it by buying a lister canal star. Not sure what happened to the 4lw.

Though by irony I am the proud owner of one. Lovely engine although hideously overcomplicated if you ask me. ( compared to a national or a 70s Lister which is where my knowledge lies. It's the sort of engine for boats where they have engineers.

Anyway. Two things I now know about cold starting. 1 it will not start without the cold start button. Even 2nd time if it stalls by being too cold to idle. And 2 I was told to use the priming lever exactly once. More than once is counter productive. (2nd hand from Tony Redshaw who supplied it originally)

And I know if I read the manual often enough, with graphs, special equipment and tools. I may, one day, be qualified to do a basic service.

For the anoraks around the manual is for a 6lw fitted to some kind of Seddons truck (manual for that included). Which I would happily swap for a proper 4lw marine one.

I'm sorry to hear that the engine was ultimately incurable, though pleased to hear that you have bagged one for yourself. As for complicated, I let someone who knows what they're doing service it!

One thing which I have discovered since this thread was originally running: my 2LW's reluctance to start from cold seems to have been due, according to our local practical gnome, to the newness of the innards: "It's toight", he explained. Sure enough, after last winter, which as you may recall was pretty darned severe, the engine started first time when we first tried it in March - without the help of the cold-start button (which, it won't surprise you to hear, I had completely forgotten about).

Edited by Athy

Just realised you're talking to me!

Yes, he resolved it by buying a lister canal star. Not sure what happened to the 4lw.

Though by irony I am the proud owner of one. Lovely engine although hideously overcomplicated if you ask me. ( compared to a national or a 70s Lister which is where my knowledge lies. It's the sort of engine for boats where they have engineers.

Anyway. Two things I now know about cold starting. 1 it will not start without the cold start button. Even 2nd time if it stalls by being too cold to idle. And 2 I was told to use the priming lever exactly once. More than once is counter productive. (2nd hand from Tony Redshaw who supplied it originally)

And I know if I read the manual often enough, with graphs, special equipment and tools. I may, one day, be qualified to do a basic service.

For the anoraks around the manual is for a 6lw fitted to some kind of Seddons truck (manual for that included). Which I would happily swap for a proper 4lw marine one.

Have you tried the Internal Fire Museum for handbook. I believe 'Friends' of the museum can download all kinds of stuff.

Mike

Thanks for the reminder, I've downloaded it and it seems like it might be more straightforward than the one I've got, certainly a quarter of the pages. I will compare when I get back to the boat.

I'm a little disturbed to read that my vacuum tank may become 'deranged' I thought that danger was reserved for the captain.

Edited by Chris Pink

My Lister ST has the inlet manifold oil ports but i've never used them as it starts instantly whatever the temp,but when its very cold like now i start it using the decompressors to ease the load on the battery and starter motor.