Narrow Boats in America

MichaelJohn

Featured Posts

Have one built or find a used one and ship it back to the States, I don't see any big problem doing that.

We build boats for people from all over the world but normally they come to collect in the UK or we ship them to Europe, shipping one further away would just be a different challenge. :lol:

Have one built or find a used one and ship it back to the States, I don't see any big problem doing that.

We build boats for people from all over the world but normally they come to collect in the UK or we ship them to Europe, shipping one further away would just be a different challenge. :lol:

Thanks Gary. I've ordered your dvd and reached out to shipping companies to see what the cost would be. Kind regards Mike

straightforward enough, I had a boat sent the other way for a client although it was easier in one critical respect. The client wanted a pontoon boat built in Canada, and we had it shipped ON IT'S TRAILER through Boston and Southampton, just sent a four wheel drive to Soton to collect.

The easier bit was it was an outboard vessel, so the outboard engine (the bit that is most difficult to get through EU regs) was fitted here, make sure that any boat you import is compliant with US and State regs: people like Gary will be able to do this given the right info.

and yes, Tery Darlington took a 57 foot narrow boat over, he wasn't the first either

Could a narrowboat be built in the US, if drawings and expertise were provided from the UK?

I'm sure someone like Gary P wouldn't mind an expenses paid trip to see some US boat builders!

I only say this because I know that engineering and manufacturing firms in the US are under pressure at the moment. It would be nice to support your own skilled people if you could, and I'm sure there are companies with the necessary skills and equipment to do it. What they'll need is know-how. The devil is in the detail with narrowboats.

The key to a good finish is in the preparation, I'd be happy to build you a canal and a boat, otherwise I wouldn't bother as I don't think you get the whole experience without both, and that area probably needs some anyway! :lol:

This is a good point to consider. What do you want to use the boat for and where? It is possible that a flat-bottom, narrow-beam, longboat is not best suited to what and where you need it.

Greetings, The boat will be used as a floating home. It will not see much travel. It will be used on the Sacramento California Delta tied to the banks of the river or to a dock. The boat would be used on the protected waterways of the river. There can be some wind but in most of the places there are no waves to speak of except from passing boats. I would like to fit the boat with solar panels so that it powers itself. My wife and I have solar homes in Taos New Mexico. If anyone is interested you can see our homes at heliohouse.com Thanks to everyone for your helpful answers. For those who would and could build me a boat please help me find out how to contact you. Michael

Could PistonBroke and Malarky let me know how I can contact them to discuss in more detail haveing a narrowboat built. Kind regards Michael

Have PM'd you my email, should you want a wooden Narrow boat, email me and I'll make enquiries about building it over there, as it will require two of us to co-ordinate our commitments, it may take a few days to come back to you. Do you have a possible site to enable this, or do you wish to have it shipped over ?

..BoatImagesNAPTONPIC.jpg..BoatImagesNAPTONPIC.jpg

Edited by Malarky

Have PM'd you my email, should you want a wooden Narrow boat, email me and I'll make enquiries about building it over there, as it will require two of us to co-ordinate our commitments, it may take a few days to come back to you. Do you have a possible site to enable this, or do you wish to have it shipped over ?

..BoatImagesNAPTONPIC.jpg..BoatImagesNAPTONPIC.jpg

Hello,

I tried to follow this link but it did not work. I found the website and the canal boat section but don't know which one is yours.

Thanks

Mike