Lazy boating

Smelly

Featured Posts

can anyone recommend a good online source for the lifebouys with a light, lifejackets with a light and flares required for passage down the Severn Estuary online.

I need to cost the kit up!

I'll need loads of rope as well, but reckon on going with climbing rope.

http://snipurl.com/46hjn [www_westmarine_com] Liferings

http://snipurl.com/46hnu [www_westmarine_com] Automatic Strobe Light

http://snipurl.com/46hoo [www_westmarine_com] Lifevest mountable Marker Lights

http://snipurl.com/46hpd [www_westmarine_com] Lifejackets

http://snipurl.com/46hpx [www_westmarine_com] Flares and Signaling

Substantial Maritime Markup included at no extra cost.

If it's just one trip, wouldn't you be better borrowing most of the kit?

I could help with rope and jackets and rings (though the jackets and rings haven't got lights, I use petzl e-lights). Depending on when you're going, of course.

Re: the rope - just be aware that, although it looks similar, climbing ropes are v. different to boat ropes. Not least because climbing ropes are designed to stretch to about 1.4 times their original length when taking heavy loads - because they're designed to take shock loads but minimise the instantaneous load transferred to the 'lump' on the end !

can anyone recommend a good online source for the lifebouys with a light, lifejackets with a light and flares required for passage down the Severn Estuary online.

I need to cost the kit up!

Go in the daytime? You still need a lifebouy and life jackets but I did not think that lights and flares would be required when we did it.

--

Richard

Re: the rope - just be aware that, although it looks similar, climbing ropes are v. different to boat ropes. Not least because climbing ropes are designed to stretch to about 1.4 times their original length when taking heavy loads - because they're designed to take shock loads but minimise the instantaneous load transferred to the 'lump' on the end !

I think snow and rock do some reasonably priced static line, certainly comparable to Jimmy Green's (?) catalogue when last I looked, I'm going to need somewhere in the region of 100m so there's an economy in Buying local.

Carl cheers, but I'm thinking about heading down the Severn Estuary so I'm not sure we're exactly local...

I'll have a shuftie on ebay as well.

Cheers for the links Jason.

We had a lifebuoy (as required by the BSS anyway I believe) without a light, lifejackets without a light, and no flares.

I spose there's an argument for Carl's petzl's, but i suspect they won't fit over Bagpuss's dreads... Having read the tone of the guidance notes I wonder whether we'll need to superglue 'em to our heads :lol:

I'm sure flares are relativelt cheap, and will be great fun if they're not needed so I can't see why not!

edit... do I really need a radar reflector if I'm on a steel boat?

Edited by Smelly

Go in the daytime? You still need a lifebouy and life jackets but I did not think that lights and flares would be required when we did it.

--

Richard

If it happens we'll be doing it probably in Dec/Jan so in the absence of a connection quick enough to get the tide tables at the same time as getting this page up (for a moment I almost look forward tp getting back into Birmingham :lol: ) I'd guess some of it will be betwixt dusk and dawn or vice versa

edit: AND, looking at a few online tide tables, they seem to be predicting and the longest I've seen's a month since I last posted...

Edited by Smelly

Lifebuoy ? BSS ? Not come across that ?

Passed BSS recently - don't have lifebuoy.......

You used to need a lifebuoy, maybe you don't any more. I once failed my inspection because mine was red and white instead of orange. I was most disappointed, to me a lifebuoy SHOULD be red and white!

You used to need a lifebuoy, maybe you don't any more. I once failed my inspection because mine was red and white instead of orange. I was most disappointed, to me a lifebuoy SHOULD be red and white!

Lifebuoy knocks out BO, so the advert said for the soap version.

Try John on O7721888789, I know he's just bought a shedload of top quality lifejackets with double CO2 canisters and lights. He also has drysuits, I'm sure he's got lifebuoys too.

tell him Steve sent you.

ta!

Rather than a lfie bouy.....a life raft is far more suitable.....you can hire them.......If you really want to be rescued then a 4 person life raft will give the emer services a better chance of seeing you then a simple life ring with flouescent tags......as for a life jacket with lamp!.......If you dont have time to set off flares before hitting the water and you dont have a life raft to enable you to set off flares then what good will a littlew lamp do? just lie back and wait for the enevitable.

TBH there are various stages of 'MAYDAY'

The first is, you notice a problem and call the coastguard to alert them on a PAN PAN message that you have problems........the next stage is a full MAYDAY where you alert the coastguard that your problem is potentially fatal........any PAN PAN or MAYDAY transmission is pretty pointless unless you can give an acurate global position, with Modern DSC/VHF this is purely pressing a button provided your DSC/VHF is linked to your GPS, If working purely on VHF then any point of reference such as a landmark will assist in your rescue if your exact position isnt known...

....No message at all to the emer services, all that a life jacket and life ring will do is prolong your demise.

The next stage of Mayday is that you sink before you can transmit a MAYDAY message. This is where your life raft comes into its own.

I remember reading a US Sailor's account of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis and him vowing never ever to put on a life vest ever again.

A life jacket can be a life saver, but if you have a fully functional Life raft with an auto inflate feature in event of catasrophic floatation failure then a life vest will assist you in surviving long enough to attempt to board the deployed liferaft.

Remember........more people die from exposure than from drowning....a life jacket will keep you afloat but wont protect you from the cold water....if I remember rightly....you have appx 3mins in cold water to get yourslelf out before you start to lose the ability to even attempt to try.

Assuming you have abandoned ship and took to the life rafts.....what good is that if no SOS transmission has been made?

Always ensure someone shorebased knows of your movements and inform them.....if they dont hear from you by such an such a time .,...to call the coastguard and inform them of your intended trip and track....if your in a life raft its a good bet you'll be found alive....if just a life jacket or life ring....then.......good night vienna

Passage Planning.....theres Nowt as good as it :lol:

Edited by saltysplash

I'm sure flares are relativelt cheap, and will be great fun if they're not needed so I can't see why not!

edit... do I really need a radar reflector if I'm on a steel boat?

Flares cheap!!!!!!!!lol http://www.sailgb.com/c/distress_flares_pyrotechnics/

as for setting them off if theyre not needed.........sugget you look at the MCA website for the current presecutions of people that have 'Set Off' marine flares in order to get rid of them when out of date...

actually, this is a problem, coz you always used to be advised to take them to a police station for disposal........theres not a nick in the country that will take em these days so the current trend on salty water is to tie em to a heavy shackle and see if they float....but what ever you do...please dont set them off willy nilly.....coz if i see em, i will be on the phone to the coastguard to report distress signals....and that includes being on the pennines

A radar reflector is now part of the SOLAS V requirements regardless of what your hull is made from....Its your choice if dont comply but, if they...the MCA....stop you, you wiull be presecuted or impounded till the fault is rectified.

Remember a narrowboat has a very low profile that some Radar may not be able to distingush from 'Sea State'

A Radar Relflector isnt there to help you....its there to help others to SEE YOU

Edited by saltysplash

these days so the current trend on salty water is to tie em to a heavy shackle and see if they float....

I tied mine to my Halon extinguisher. Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

A lifebouy is essential for MOBs btw . A more common occurence than abandoning ship.

By the time you've added everything up, Smelly, it might be worth the drive to Rugby, to borrow the stuff off me. I can also let you borrow a reflector, too.

I tied mine to my Halon extinguisher. Two birds with one stone, so to speak.

A lifebouy is essential for MOBs btw . A more common occurence than abandoning ship.

By the time you've added everything up, Smelly, it might be worth the drive to Rugby, to borrow the stuff off me. I can also let you borrow a reflector, too.

Sounds like a good idea to me,....btw last time i had a 8 person life raft MOT'D it cost 500 squid!!!!! cheaper to buy a new 4 person raft.

even with a MOB situation. the current water temp still only gives you average 3 mins for you to be able to get yourself out of the water, an that includes a side ladder....like i said, exposure is the killer. not drowning, How long does it take to turn a vessel and get back to the MOB position?

My advice to my crew when venturing on deck if they wnated a smoke was.....put the life jacket on......and keep in our view at all times...ie forward of the wheel house....that way any MOB situation can be seen and reacted to within seconds rather than minutes if they are out of view and eventually missed on deck.

Aren't we getting a bit OTT for a trip, under the guidance of a pilot, which is undertaken by dozens of narrowboats every year none of whom have liferafts, GPS, flares, or radar reflectors?

Probably but, if the equipment is available, I would take it along.