Is the Rochdale a load of Rubbish??

Jim Lae

Featured Posts

Surely this is why local councils should take more responsibility for their canals and their environs. Why should we, through BW, have to pay for 50 tonnes of rubbish, presumably deposited by the local residents, to be removed.

Same argument for cleaning up grafitti, not to mention vandalism of locks etc.

Surely this is why local councils should take more responsibility for their canals and their environs. Why should we, through BW, have to pay for 50 tonnes of rubbish, presumably deposited by the local residents, to be removed.

So, if any of the grafitti and vandalism, done throughout the country, is found to have been done by the kids of boatowners, can the local council get BW to clean it up?

I work for the cleansing department of a local council....whilst we can go some way to helping clear up rubbish on the banks and removing graffiti, dog foul etc, unfortunately, when it comes down to the water, it's ultimately BW's responsibility. The council just isn't equipped to do the job, and it's considered as "private land", so as much as we'd like, our hands are tied.

As a boater myself, I find it very frustrating, but there's not much I can do about it. What I can say though is that our local council tries very hard to keep our local area clean and tidy. Unfortunately, we appear to be fighting a losing battle with the morons who think it's acceptable to dump things in the cut when it would be so much easier to just take it to the local tip!

Janet

So BW removes 50 tons of rubbish off the Rochdale every week, I would say 'Pull the other one' I would be amazed if BW had removed that amount of stuff over the past twenty years.. But seriously there are major litter problems on the Rochdale and neither the local councils or BW much to remedy the situation..

There are in fact four local councils along the route of the Rochdale, no one expects much activity from BW but the Rochdale council in particular does no more than the minimum work on the canal that bears it's name, but as the canal gets established things will improve.

I predict a future where canals lie derelict due to the blockages caused by the rubbish and overgrowth that nobody wants to clear.

Then everyone will be saying, we used to have a great canal system with lots of nice narrowboats on, then there will be groups who get together volunarily to clean up and reopen canals, and in 20 years we will be back where we are now :lol:

lifes a circle

I predict a future where canals lie derelict due to the blockages caused by the rubbish and overgrowth that nobody wants to clear.

Then everyone will be saying, we used to have a great canal system with lots of nice narrowboats on, then there will be groups who get together volunarily to clean up and reopen canals, and in 20 years we will be back where we are now :lol:

lifes a circle

You dont know how true this could be.

lifes a circle

Whilst there are isolated urban areas today where litter and fly tipping is a problem, to be honest the Canals generally are far less rubbish infested than they were in the 1960's. In those days it was not unusual to pick something horrible up on your prop every few hours on your journey from London to Birmingham, and in Birmingham it was like pushing through thick soup in some parts.

Whilst there are isolated urban areas today where litter and fly tipping is a problem, to be honest the Canals generally are far less rubbish infested than they were in the 1960's. In those days it was not unusual to pick something horrible up on your prop every few hours on your journey from London to Birmingham, and in Birmingham it was like pushing through thick soup in some parts.

So true....

We went through London & up the Lee earlier in the year - no weed-hatch incidents.

Cruised 350 miles on our summer jaunt, including twice through Brum - one weed-hatch incident (on the Leicester).

That would have been unimaginable in the 1970s, when a trip along even the Main Line in Brum had me stopping regularly to get rid of something.

The canals are massively less junk ridden now than then IMO.