Cyclists, do they belong on the towpath?

GSer

Featured Posts

Not quite.

The ignorant pedestrian shouting "out of my way" is very very likely to stop without injuring anybody if it becomes obvious that somebody isn't getting out of the way.

She stopped, therefore the argument is silly.

Collisions are rare, because most people stop. Probably no more common than a clash with an ignorant walker, boater or angler.

I prefer to define these people by their ignorance, rather than their hobby or mode of transport.

Not quite.

The ignorant pedestrian shouting "out of my way" is very very likely to stop without injuring anybody if it becomes obvious that somebody isn't getting out of the way.

The ignorant cyclist is significantly more likely to plough into somebody/something, and cause injury

so you're saying a "pedestrian" would never barge past?

this is nonsense. - as people who are walking, and who are ignorant, and might be described as ignorant pedestrians, are as likely to barge past, as an ignorant cyclist is to plough into somebody.... I think the key word to this is - ignorant. - not the form of transport...

so you're saying a "pedestrian" would never barge past?

this is nonsense. - as people who are walking, and who are ignorant, and might be described as ignorant pedestrians, are as likely to barge past, as an ignorant cyclist is to plough into somebody.... I think the key word to this is - ignorant. - not the form of transport...

Those who have had the pleasure (???) of meeting me will testify that I am of sufficient dimensions that there are few pedestrians who could barge past me!

The point I'm making is that at the point of realising that I am not in a position to "get out of the way", the ignorant pedestrian has ample time to stop without incident. The ignorant cyclist probably doesn't.

The point I'm making is that at the point of realising that I am not in a position to "get out of the way", the ignorant pedestrian has ample time to stop without incident. The ignorant cyclist probably doesn't.

probably, possibly, etc etc - the fact if the matter is - that it's ignorance that is at fault, not the means of how some one is traveling. I've been run into by a pedestrian ( a jogger), who failed to stop.

Once while cycling on the road, a pedestrian walked out in front of me, and we collided.

at no point do i prescribe that it is the pedestrian, the cyclist, the jogger at fault - but the Human that is partaking in one of these activities.

So, I still maintain that - the problem is not the activity, but the individual that is partaking in that activity.

So, I still maintain that - the problem is not the activity, but the individual that is partaking in that activity.

That must be why we have rules/laws in place to control most other forms of transport? These rules are not person specific, but they cover the vehicles and there use, so why not equally appropriate laws for cyclists.

Paul

That must be why we have rules/laws in place to control most other forms of transport? These rules are not person specific, but they cover the vehicles and there use, so why not equally appropriate laws for cyclists.

Paul

there are laws for cyclists.

http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/transportstreets...ngandtheLaw.htm

The rules of the road apply to cyclists as to all other road users and can be found in the Highway Code, there is a section that specifically applies to cyclists, in it you'll be able to find out all about the rules that apply directly to cyclists. Remember that the Highway Code applies to all road users including cyclists.

direct link to Highway code for cyclists

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTrans...lists/index.htm

Yes, I understand that the Highway Code is appicable to cyclists, but at the moment there is no compulsory 3rd party insurance or registration of pushbikes or their operators both of which are needed for most other forms of transport allowed on public ROW's, towpaths etc

Paul

Yes, I understand that the Highway Code is appicable to cyclists, but at the moment there is no compulsory 3rd party insurance or registration of pushbikes or their operators both of which are needed for most other forms of transport allowed on public ROW's, towpaths etc

Paul

Can I re-iterate the point about jackbooted officials, my six year old daughter astride her pink-princess special, and a demand to see her papers? How much annual 3rd party insurance should she have? "How many years no claims did you say you had, sweetie?".

And why stop at bikes? Skateboarders anyone...

(retires to safe distance whilst holding his behind his back)

Can I re-iterate the point about jackbooted officials, my six year old daughter astride her pink-princess special, and a demand to see her papers? How much annual 3rd party insurance should she have? "How many years no claims did you say you had, sweetie?".

And why stop at bikes? Skateboarders anyone...

(retires to safe distance whilst holding his behind his back)

I think that's a fair comment, I would say a family insurance should be available to cover family members third party risk whilst cycling skateboarding surfing etc. Seems fair to me, your 6 year old could be the next person to cause an accident, most likely she won't, who knows.

Paul

I think that's a fair comment, I would say a family insurance should be available to cover family members third party risk whilst cycling skateboarding surfing etc. Seems fair to me, your 6 year old could be the next person to cause an accident, most likely she won't, who knows.

Paul

Like the Avatar Paul (although I don't think it looks anything like you!) :lol:

J.

Ooops :lol:

Edited by Jobeagles

Like the Avatar Paul (although I don't think it looks anything like you!) :lol:

J.

Ooops :lol:

Thanks, i've always thought I had the edge on him with looks :lol: The avatar was dusted off for tomorrows 'talk like a pirate day' ahharrrgghhh!

I wonder how much insurance companies would want to charge in premiums for such a policy? The more unknown factors there are (and the younger you are) the higher they seem to charge!

J.

I would think the insurance would be based on the responsilble adults in the family group's combined insurance history. the age of the children would then be irrelevant.

Anti cyclists and Insurance wasn't how I envisaged this thread turning out, I have no problem with responsible cylists just the twits that race up and down a footpath.

Paul

Anti cyclists and Insurance wasn't how I envisaged this thread turning out, I have no problem with responsible cylists just the twits that race up and down a footpath.

Paul

"Cyclists, do they belong on the towpath?, They don't really fit, do they?"

Seems like a pretty broad sweeping statement to start off with. If you weren't intending it to be anti-cyclist.

"Cyclists, do they belong on the towpath?, They don't really fit, do they?"

Seems like a pretty broad sweeping statement to start off with. If you weren't intending it to be anti-cyclist.

I read the thread as referring to towpath cyclists, not cyclists in general.

J.

No complaints here, i'm happy to here others views, especially from 'up north', it still amazes me they have internet north of Oxford :lol: I'd have thought whippet dribble and keyboards were not safe in the same cabin.

Paul

http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/

there you go Paul.

it would cost me - £26.00 a year, to cover me for

Cycleguard Roadcare offers invaluable public liability insurance for cyclists, to protect them on and off the road against third party claims. Cycleguard Roadcare also includes personal accident cover up to £10,000 and an ''Active'' option if you take part in competitive cycle sports.

Cycleguard Roadcare insurance is suitable for:

* Cyclists that only need liability insurance and do not need to insure the bicycle itself

* Cyclists that use their bicycle for leisure and/or business purposes

* Cyclists that commute to work on pedal bicycles or electric bicycles

* Cyclists that race or are involved in other competitive cycle sports

No complaints here, i'm happy to here others views, especially from 'up north', it still amazes me they have internet north of Oxford :lol: I'd have thought whippet dribble and keyboards were not safe in the same cabin.

Paul

As a Yorkshireman, in exile, down south in Rugby, I can assure you that whippets don't dribble (though I've got a lurcher which doesn't dribble, either).