Paying BW fees by direct debit

moggyjo

Featured Posts

Are you sure ?

I've never heard of this.

Or do you mean that if you pay the whole thing in advance for a year you get a discount, but if you pay over the course of the hear you don't ?

That to me is understandable, as they get their money up front, without having to chase people for it, and you in turn lose the interest you could have had on that money.

Our marina operates a similar thing - you can pay in advance for a year for less than the cost of 12 monthly instalments.

If that's what you mean, such practice is quite normal in many businesses, surely?

Alan

Are you sure ?

I've never heard of this.

Or do you mean that if you pay the whole thing in advance for a year you get a discount, but if you pay over the course of the hear you don't ?

That to me is understandable, as they get their money up front, without having to chase people for it, and you in turn lose the interest you could have had on that money.

Our marina operates a similar thing - you can pay in advance for a year for less than the cost of 12 monthly instalments.

If that's what you mean, such practice is quite normal in many businesses, surely?

Alan

I think it works out that you can pay it over 10 months but you end up paying more overall as they charge a set up fee for the dd. Im sure that none of my DD's have this extra fee

I think it works out that you can pay it over 10 months but you end up paying more overall as they charge a set up fee for the dd. Im sure that none of my DD's have this extra fee

Well, I didn't search exhaustively, but the licence application form didn't make obvious mention of a set-up fee.

I'm not convinced they would do this, as it's clearly in their interests to dave people on DD.

Where does it say they charge?

Well, I didn't search exhaustively, but the licence application form didn't make obvious mention of a set-up fee.

I'm not convinced they would do this, as it's clearly in their interests to dave people on DD.

Where does it say they charge?

Could we be refering to the double payment in the first month?

A DD paid licence is broken down into 9 payments each being 10percent with the exeption of the 1st month which is 20.

I have a DD paid licence invoice in front of me and there are no "charges" on it.

The only reference I can find is

Direct Debit defaults are subject to a 10% handling fee and

you may also incur legal costs if we have to instruct solicitors to

recover the debt.

This is from the licence and conditions here:

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/1848.pdf

The extra only kicks in if there insufficient funds in your bank account and on a second sub mission for payment.

Having enquired via e-mail, this is the reply from customer services BW.

Thank you for your email,

There is no extra charge for paying by direct debit however if you pay by instalments you are not entitled to the 10% prompt payment discount for paying early.

Having enquired via e-mail, this is the reply from customer services BW.

Thank you for your email,

There is no extra charge for paying by direct debit however if you pay by instalments you are not entitled to the 10% prompt payment discount for paying early.

Which is what I tried to say (perhaps not very well :lol: ) at post 5.

Is BW the only company to charge a fee it you chose to pay licence or mooring fees by direct debit. It seems unfair to me as probably the people that opt for this payment method are not very well off.

Anyone know why they have this charge?

They don't.

If you pay in a single installment before the licence/permit starts, you get a 10% prompt payment discount. The amount is the same whether you pay DD/Cheque

If you pay in multiple installments, over the course of the licence/permit, you don't get the discount, and you pay the undiscounted fee in installments

Which is what I tried to say (perhaps not very well :lol: ) at post 5.

Alan

I knew that :lol: but Carl and some else said

You are charged an 8% fee, for paying DD. I know because I had a protracted argument with them about this pretty much wiping out the 10% prompt payment discount so I ended up investing the money and dripping it to them over 9 months,

So thought I would clarify it.