I know this belongs on the pictures of your boat section ...but

kiki

Featured Posts

When I had a look at the section it just sort of ran on a bit.

I am so proud of our new paint job. the Much Beloved did the entire boat himself by hand, it was a right mess, but he took it back to bare metal and started again , 3 months of watching the sky for rain, working every dry day we could find, we finally finished up in Portland Basin dry dock where we did the final coats. I just love it, more so because its all our own work. :lol:

ps. and he really enjoyed doing it which makes all the difference - me I just liked all the money we saved.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5154...mp;id=683035814

I am so proud of our new paint job. the Much Beloved did the entire boat himself by hand, it was a right mess, but he took it back to bare metal and started again , 3 months of watching the sky for rain, working every dry day we could find, we finally finished up in Portland Basin dry dock where we did the final coats. I just love it, more so because its all our own work. :lol:

ps. and he really enjoyed doing it which makes all the difference - me I just liked all the money we saved.

Looks good :lol:

Chris

Looks a good job, well done. I can understand the celebration and happiness as there is always something truly satisfying about getting something like a job like that done by you.

Mind you I am sure you will both now appreciate why it costs so much to get it done by a good professional now in terms of all the elbow grease and labour time you will have put into getting it to this condition.

Really nice job - well done. What paint system did you use?

SteveE

Really nice job - well done. What paint system did you use?

SteveE

Hi Steve, I will get paul to reply to you, he is the expert, I know we used Rylard for the final coats, but he can give you the various trade names etc. I know it took something like 3 coats of primer, undercoats topcoats, primer fillers, sand, masking tape, spray guns, rollers, the worlds most expensive brushes, and tons of patience and skill. All of course having never done it before, but there was a useful video on utube which helped.

the finish is really like a mirror, the photo's dont to it justice but to quote the MB - preparation is everything - I was so sick of hearing about sanding, and another coat of this or that, but in the end the whole job on a 58 foot from bare metal cost us less that £1,400 including dry docking and the lettering - a real bargain and the feeling of a job well done.

Hi, I was just wondering about your boat`s name. Is it Afrikaans? What does it mean please? If you dont mind that is. I have never seen a boat with a name like that.

Sorry for being so nosey :lol:

The paintwork looks lovely, it is a credit to you.

yes it is afrikaans, it mean you are talking "utter rubbish" to put it politely. We are starting to get recognised by the name which is nice. On a recent trip a canoeist passed us and saw the name, found out that not only was he from my home town (cape town) but I had done ballet with his aunty as a girl.......fantastic.

Not being nosey, if I was bothered about people asking me what my boat name meant I would have called it Rosie or something self explanatory. its a nice conversation starter.

Wow I didn't think you could get such a good finish with rollers ..

I'm definately going to do mine now. :lol:

Nice one!

- Hobbs

EDIT: Could you tell us a bit more about the process possibly? I'd be interested to know the steps ..

Edited by Hobson

Wow I didn't think you could get such a good finish with rollers ..

I'm definately going to do mine now. :lol:

Nice one!

- Hobbs

EDIT: Could you tell us a bit more about the process possibly? I'd be interested to know the steps ..

hi Hobbs,

When I get home I will get Paul to PM you and the other reader with more detail, but after using the spray for all the primer and undercoats, the final coat did go on better with the roller, We experimented with the roof and found the spray was horrible, not a very good finish. Taking care not to put the paint on too thick the very important part was the brushes, I think we paid something like £45 for a brush but it was like the Godfather of all paintbrushes, paul will give you the name of them. Roller on, then down with the brush, up, sideways etc.....hang on till I get home, will ask him to PM you

hi Hobbs,

When I get home I will get Paul to PM you and the other reader with more detail, but after using the spray for all the primer and undercoats, the final coat did go on better with the roller, We experimented with the roof and found the spray was horrible, not a very good finish. Taking care not to put the paint on too thick the very important part was the brushes, I think we paid something like £45 for a brush but it was like the Godfather of all paintbrushes, paul will give you the name of them. Roller on, then down with the brush, up, sideways etc.....hang on till I get home, will ask him to PM you

Awesome! Thanks in advance!

Have had some pretty bad results with sprays myself in the past ..

- Hobbs

This is the youtube video of the painting method

Great vid! Just wondering but did he do the entire length of the boat at once, in sections or have several people working concurrently?

There must be issues with 'overlap' if its done in sections?

- Hobbs

HI,

We stripped the boat using nitromors down to base metal roof first then sides lh,rh then bow and stern a section at a time.When a section was stripped it was neutralised by wiping it down with white spirt on a rag,The section was then linished using a orbital sander and 60 grit discs. the surface was then cleaned and wiped down and a coat of zinc phosphate was applied ,I used crown industrial for this job. when this coat was dry another two coats were applied ,sandind in between coats to get the adhesion required. I found that it was best to leave for 2 -3 days between coats to allow the paint to cure. Next I applied 2 coats of a synthetic primer filler applied by a hvlp spray gun bought from b&q for £40 , the paint was bought from colortone automotive paint supplies ,but any atoumotive paint shop wiil supply the equivalent.when this was dried I then applied two coats pf rylards primer for top caot sanding inbetween whit a orbital sander 240 grit. this paint was applied whit a roller and layed off by brush. the final two coats were rylards top coat again applied by roller and brush.I added no thinners to the top or primer coats as well as no additives to make it run / flow better,

To apply the paint I first laoded the roller and applied vertically then rollered the same area horizontally, then taking the brush very lightly layed the paint off horizontally and straight away vertically , the section done at one time was about 800mm -1000mm never let the paint dry or flash off ,to paint the whole side of the boat 58ft took no longer tham 30 min,

The brushes were purdy 3 inch and the rollers 4 inch for synthetic paint

It was a lot of hard work but worth every second

regards

Kiki

Great vid! Just wondering but did he do the entire length of the boat at once, in sections or have several people working concurrently?

There must be issues with 'overlap' if its done in sections?

- Hobbs

Hi Hobbs,

Only me on the roller and brush, if you work fast and there is no draft you have no problems on the overlap. I went BIG using a 7" Roller and a 5" brush.

Did my 60ft side in 24 mins including the top of the handrail.

and before you ask, No I am not coming to do yours.

Regards Patrick

This is the youtube video of the painting method

Excellent. This is very similar to coach painting; thorough preparation, good base coat system, load gloss on as evenly as possible and then lay off carefully with a brush.

We'll be on the Peak Forest over Christmas in the boat so I'll check out your finished product then.

Steve

Excellent. This is very similar to coach painting; thorough preparation, good base coat system, load gloss on as evenly as possible and then lay off carefully with a brush.

We'll be on the Peak Forest over Christmas in the boat so I'll check out your finished product then.

Steve

We look forward to seeing you, stop for a brew.

Bridget