Genny

Whitewater

Featured Posts

Hi,

i have had one for a couple of years, it's not nearly as smooth as the Honda and is a bit noisier. Having said that it starts easily, i can run my Victron charger of off it, and it is still not nearly as noisy as the B&Q specials.

I think that if you are going to be fairly highly reliant on using a generator then long term the Honda is well worth the extra, however at less than half the cost the 'Kipor' is worth its money.

My neighbour has a Kipor and the boat opposite a Honda. The Kipor isn't obtrusive but it is louder than the Honda. However my Briggs & Stratton is a real teeth rattler and snows up my neighbour's TV when it's running.... Bought with more enthusiasm than forethought it's a cheap(ish) pile of s*** really and will eventually be replaced with a Honda.

Listening to the local 'six o'clock symphony', I'd go for a Honda.

My neighbour has a Kipor and the boat opposite a Honda. The Kipor isn't obtrusive but it is louder than the Honda. However my Briggs & Stratton is a real teeth rattler and snows up my neighbour's TV when it's running.... Bought with more enthusiasm than forethought it's a cheap(ish) pile of s*** really and will eventually be replaced with a Honda.

Listening to the local 'six o'clock symphony', I'd go for a Honda.

Can anyone give me the full name of this Honda, so I can search it and have a look? Many thanks

J.

Not sure of the price difference but think i paid £850 for mine from a local Honda dealer,Brilliant bit of kit starts first time every time and they are whisper quiet unless under full load but they are not that load even then.

Moored next to a guy with the Kipor last summer and his was louder by far and looked to be bigger to .

We have the EU20i and would recomend it without a second thought Steve.

After leaving the luxury of shore power & having severly depleted batteries that a days cruising wouldn't charge :lol: we have come to the conclusion that we really need a generator.

As usual I started my research by looking on CWF & see the Honda EU20i is recommended by alot of boaters.

So the questions!

Is it really okay to have a petrol gen safetywise rather than diesel? I also thought that diesel would be quieter, but most members say the honda is fairly quiet so....

Having spent some time (online) looking at diesels they seem to be huge! & I really like the look of the honda as it looks neater

Will it run my little candy 1000t washer as well as the usual TV, laptop etc. If not what will?

Finally we are in Leeds (Clarence Dock visitor moorings - very nice & shore power!!) for a couple of days does anyone know of honda dealers in the area so we could see one 'in the flesh'

We are prepared to 'bite the bullet' moneywise to get the right piece of kit.

So the questions!

Is it really okay to have a petrol gen safetywise rather than diesel? I also thought that diesel would be quieter, but most members say the honda is fairly quiet so....

Storage & handling of petrol on board carries some significant safety issues. The petrol should be stored in a locker which drains overboard - if you don't have a dedicated locker the use then the gas locker. The generator itself contains petrol and shouldn't be stored anywhere where fuel leaks or fumes (which are heavier than air) could drain into the boat. They should drain overboard. Refuel the generator on the bank, not on the boat.

The other safety issues when running the generator are the carbon monoxide risk - don't run the generator on the stern with your stern doors open for example.

Make sure the generator is properly earthed. Like most small generators the Honda EU range have a floating earth which really only is suitable for running one appliance directly, rather than an entire mains ring. It's easy to rectify and should be, because without Neutral - Earth bonding the boat's RCD may not trip in the even of a fault. Basically N and E should be bonded at the AC outlet of the generator (or on the cable plug which goes into the generator if that cable is clearly labelled "N - E bonded" and only used for this generator). The earth stud on the chassis of the generator should also be connected to your hull earth stud. Then you can run your mains ring safely and your RCD should work properly.

There are previous threads on the CO risk and earthing generators.

Will it run my little candy 1000t washer as well as the usual TV, laptop etc?

Yes, and it will run your battery charger, but depending on the size of the charger perhaps not at the same time as the Candy.

Finally we are in Leeds (Clarence Dock visitor moorings - very nice & shore power!!) for a couple of days does anyone know of honda dealers in the area so we could see one 'in the flesh'

The cheapest internet deals will come from either Just Generators, Tidy Co or Edge Technology who also do gas conversion kits, but that's another subject.

Edited by blackrose