Squirrel Stove - BSS compliance

Featured Posts

How do you fix down a Morso Squirrel stove so that it complys with the BSS? The feet, as far as I can see, can't easily be bolted down because they are hollow 'half moon' sort of shapes with no bottom.

How did you fix yours so that:

Where a manual check is not practicable, such as with solid fuel and

oil-fired stoves, check the condition of securing systems.

Non-portable appliances must be incapable of unintended movement

in any direction.

Securing systems must be installed on all non-portable appliances and

securing systems and their fixing points must be of suitable strength

It is so heavy that I can't see it moving unless we are upside down... but have to go through the motions of fixing it so as to comply.

Drill a hole through the front two feet, at an angle. The stove can then be screwed down to the hearth. You may need to drill and plug your hearth to take the screws.

Although heavy, it will move the first time you bump a bridge or lock, which will crack the fire cement round the flue (better to use HT silicone anyway).

Edited by dor

Guest TerryL
How do you fix down a Morso Squirrel stove so that it complys with the BSS? The feet, as far as I can see, can't easily be bolted down because they are hollow 'half moon' sort of shapes with no bottom.

How did you fix yours so that:

Where a manual check is not practicable, such as with solid fuel and

oil-fired stoves, check the condition of securing systems.

Non-portable appliances must be incapable of unintended movement

in any direction.

Securing systems must be installed on all non-portable appliances and

securing systems and their fixing points must be of suitable strength

It is so heavy that I can't see it moving unless we are upside down... but have to go through the motions of fixing it so as to comply.

Brackets are easy enough to fabricate to drill and bolt through convenient parts of the stove and secure to the floor or wall, preferably solid. You never know when circumstances make you regret not doing it properly as it breaks away spilling hot coals everywhere adding to your problems!!! :lol: If these problems did not arise there would be no requirement to secure them.

Edited by TerryL

(better to use HT silicone anyway).

We've been through this before, but where does one lay their hand s on this stuff? My bl**dy chimney's leaking again...

(Apologies for off-topiciness)

On topic, I drilled out the feet of my stove and bolted it through the hearth, which was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Only works if there's a gap under your hearth enabling access to the other end of t'bolts, though. And you need arms like a spider monkey for the furthest leg.

It is so heavy that I can't see it moving unless we are upside down...

It's precisely because it's so heavy, that it will move in some circumstances.

If your boat, moving forward at say 1mph, gets brought to a sudden halt by a lock-gate, your stove, if not anchored down, naturally wants to carry on in the direction you were heading.....

The feet, although cast, are pretty soft and can be drilled. Drill a 6mm hole in each of the feet and then use either, coach screws if fastening into wood or through bolts if you can get at the bottom of the base.

If sat on tiles then you will need to drill through the tiles too which is probably the most difficult part of the job.

We've been through this before, but where does one lay their hand s on this stuff? My bl**dy chimney's leaking again...

On topic, I drilled out the feet of my stove and bolted it through the hearth, which was actually a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Only works if there's a gap under your hearth enabling access to the other end of t'bolts, though. And you need arms like a spider monkey for the furthest leg.

this is what I did - but I drilled through the hearth (marble) and screwed the fixings into the thick ply underneath it. Worked a treat. spider arms helped me too!

Most HT silicones are red and should be easy to source. If chandlers don't have it try a motor factors as it is used for making gaskets. Mine is a black one which is better, called 'Delta' and came from Nantwich Canal Centre.

www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/ -PLUMBA-FLUE-HIGH-TEMPERATURE-SILICONE-SEALANT-310ML-CARTRIDGE_A1CSK.aspx

probably the most expensive place to buy it.

and it you do the front two you can usually get away with the back two bolts.

you can buy an accessory for the Squirrel, which is a set of four Z-shaped bent steel brackets, ready drilled, that hide behind the cast feet. About 25squid. I was lazy and bought them but they would be easy to fabricate.

I cast a concrete base under the Squirrel, from the bottom plate, and cast in four holding down bolts. Quarry tiles over the concrete. The stove ain't going to move.

Hi,

Drill the hearth and use 'Rawbolt' fixings, as they are tightened a collar expands and grips on the hole sides. Come in various sizes.

Albi