Fame at last!

carlt

Featured Posts

Tony,

I have read the thread and commented upon it (and expalined the rreason why I did not see it initially), but it's a news worthy story which all would have been interesting to all, (vandals setting fire to a a boat is dreadful news), let's read the story behind the picture on NBW's website'.

Mr Fox actually asked a question, why not answer it?.

CWF carried a post about poor work by a Surveyor recently, NBW carried a story about poor work by a Surveyor last week - investigation by me showed that the two incidents were not related but had common link.

Perhaps a follow up on these stories would produce something useful and beneficial for boaters - it just goes to show that there is room for 2 or more opinions on the waterways - use them all and a bigotted opinion about any of them does no good at all.

I am sorry that Carlt's email was posted after my comment about 'reasonable' letters, I quickly learnt in dealings with others (for what ever reason) that personal insults rarely got results.

ALBI

Had Tom, as 'editor', acted in the way a journalist should and done his research before putting this photo on his blog, BW would have either told him the story or put him in touch with Carl. He doesn't want the real story.

Tony,

I have read the thread and commented upon it (and expalined the rreason why I did not see it initially), but it's a news worthy story which all would have been interesting to all, (vandals setting fire to a a boat is dreadful news), let's read the story behind the picture on NBW's website'.

CWF carried a post about poor work by a Surveyor recently, NBW carried a story about poor work by a Surveyor last week - investigation by me showed that the two incidents were not related but had common link.

Perhaps a follow up on these stories would produce something useful and beneficial for boaters - it just goes to show that there is room for 2 or more opinions on the waterways - use them all and a bigotted opinion about any of them does no good at all.

I am sorry that Carlt's email was posted after my comment about 'reasonable' letters, I quickly learnt in dealings with others (for what ever reason) that personal insults rarely got results.

ALBI

Perhaps you are not aware of all the facts.

David Hymers ran a vitriolic story about my boats which I tried to have retracted, by writing a reasonable letter to the editor.

This letter explained the facts behind the boats' situation and pointed out that the accusations in Hymers' piece were quite simply untrue.

This warranted no response, from the editor so I see no reason sending any further polite correspondance.

He is aware of the facts, but chose to ignore them.

My emails today carried no personal insults, merely my opinion of Mr Crossley's editorial and journalist skills, or lack of.

• Greenie 1

It's odd when I think about Usk and Lucy. I have passed these boats several times and the sight of them is a little sad. I don't necessarily mean because they are in poor condition but that such mindless vandalism got them to this stage. The odd thing though is that when they are gone (with Lucy at least restored, yeeha!) I shall miss them. The boats are a landmark (or perhaps watermark!) for me and part of the look of that stretch of the GU. I don't need the cut to be all spit and polish, sanitised to the point of sterility. I enjoy all the unusual things we encounter along the way it makes the place all the more real.

Edited by churchward

Front page of Narrow Minded World!

Clicky

This is another exaple of an increasing tendency for certain members of particular occpations (mainly polititians in the widest sense to include their agents in the management areas of education, health and DEFRA, and journalists) to disseminate misinformation to their own advantage, secure in the knowledge that many people will read and listen to such informatiion in an uncritical and uninformed way. The idea of producing a balanced account of such items of 'news' went out of the window long ago.

SteveE

Using IE7 I've tried following various links within the NBW site, and still can't find this article. (Found plenty of other crap though!).

Any clues on exactly what to do to get to see it, please ?

This is another exaple of an increasing tendency for certain members of particular occpations (mainly polititians in the widest sense to include their agents in the management areas of education, health and DEFRA, and journalists) to disseminate misinformation to their own advantage, secure in the knowledge that many people will read and listen to such informatiion in an uncritical and uninformed way. The idea of producing a balanced account of such items of 'news' went out of the window long ago.

SteveE

Quoted for Truth!

However ...

It is my considered opinion that there is a lot of good in NBW, for instance "Victor" bangs on about BW waste and stupidity, as much or more, than unlicensed boats / continuous moorers or whatever their target for the week is. If it's taken as a blog, and not an online newspaper, 80% of it is pretty good, it's just a shame about the other 20.

Now i must go lie down in a darkened room

Using IE7 I've tried following various links within the NBW site, and still can't find this article. (Found plenty of other crap though!).

Any clues on exactly what to do to get to see it, please ?

It's just the pic and caption on the front page i think.

no story just a pic here me thinks http://www.narrowboatworld.com/

THat just takes me to the main page for the site, with a lovely atmospheric photo of Barton Turns Marina.

I'm guessing Carl hasn't got Usk and Lucy into Barton Turns since we passed them on the puddle banks a week or so back ?

THat just takes me to the main page for the site, with a lovely atmospheric photo of Barton Turns Marina.

I'm guessing Carl hasn't got Usk and Lucy into Barton Turns since we passed them on the puddle banks a week or so back ?

takes me to front page full page photo of lucy and usk :lol:

From the homepage of NBW 06/08/08

roger%20near%20Braunston.jpg

Roger Fox asks why these two 'boats' near Braunston are not being removed to release good

moorings

[edit to make the 'quote' clearer]

Edited by Chris J W

narrowbollocksworld.jpg

reproduced without any sort of permission of the original photographer, for comment and educational purposes.

I will remove it in an hour or 2, and Doh chris beat me to it.

And what thread on NBW would be complete without a picture of me with an attractive woman.

weekendlaunchingfuzyduckling033.jpg

Note Victor that boat is not licensed nor does it have a BSS

Edited by fuzzyduck

Tony,

ALBI

I too have read both threads. In my opinion Mr Fox's question was answered in the earlier one.

Good night

I would say that my issue is not so much with Mr Fox, many have passed the boats and seen a mess, not the remains of someone's home and life, after vandalism.

The editor knew the story behind the wreckage but still chose to ask the question, in a derogatory way, on the front page of his blog.

Knowing the facts, but still producing the "headline", for effect, shows him for what he is. Gutter journalist turned bitter blogster.

As everyone knows I don't post on here.......but I know Carl's story. I also am aware of unfairness. Respect where it's due.

Apart from the first few weeks, my years been sh1t. Went to the Dawny BBQ and the coupling on my boat gave trouble after 2 years and over 2000 miles trouble free boating. Finally managed a direct replacement and it lasted all of 20 miles.

Postitives......I've made a couple of videos http://uk.youtube.com/user/MalcOfLincoln

Negatives.........I sincerely hope my 'fate' has turned.

For instance. At the start of may a couple kindly let me stay on their unoccupied mooring at Bardney. Got there on a Saturday to find a can of diesel on my boat. Had a great weekend with a friend, finally helping some 'posh' Burton Waters sports cruisers.

Got back to Bardney only to be told to F&CK *FF in the strongest possible terms by the neighbouring boater when I got back to Bardney. From then on it's been all downhill.........I hate boating (not boaters) at this minute. Hoping things are about to change. New 'blog' (webpage coming soon).

That's it..........reading only from now on.

Good luck Carl..........

Oh......and for all the 'armflappers' .......... be afraid......be very afraid.

th_Boatscanbefun.jpg

Edited by Supermalc

As everyone knows I don't post on here.......but I know Carl's story. I also am aware of unfairness. Respect where it's due.

<snip>

Good luck Carl..........

Without wanting to inadvertently hi-jack the thread - Welcome back, Malc!

Nice to hear from you Malc! Hope things get better for you, on the boating front.

As Mr Crossley has changed the caption, on his front page, I believe this thread is now redundant.

Just as a final answer to Malarkey, though, this thread was never about BW.

Apart from a temporary breakdown in communication, caused by a change in personnel, BW's behaviour and attitude towards my boats has been fair and sympathetic.

I believe this reflects the vast gulf, in competence and knowledge of the waterways, between those working on the front line and the faceless, useless jobsworths sat on their bums in the office.

BW have all sorts of problems but the people on the ground are not one of them.

Pity they're the ones that will be chopped, if the cuts Robin Evans mentions happens.