Boat for sale

Ange

Featured Posts

John White had a good reputation, and still has as far as I am aware. You can tell that it's a John White boat aswell, very typical lines for one of his boats.

It generally looks clean and in good condition and at least the seller has made an effort with the advertising. They have a fair bit of information and more than a single blurred picture of the outside which is a good thing!

If you are happy with the length and age, and the inside generally, then go for it and good luck!

Don't forget the survey.

Well let's hope his boat maintenance skills are better than his English.

I'm not sure who Chester Draws was, and how he fits in. :lol:

Seriously, although it lists a lot of equipment it doesn't give a lot to go on.

I'm wondering if it might be a first owner, rather than a professional fit out ?

The Lombardini engine is not the most common around, but shouldn't be an issue, I think.

Find out when the BSC runs out - it could be as little as 1 1/2 years, and that comes around remarkably quickly.

Also find out when it was last docked for blacking, and whether anodes have been changed.

It looks like the bows are higher than the stern, so if the water is clear, you may even be able to see front anodes.

On the face of it, it doesn't look a bad deal, but if it proves to be an amateurish fit-out, rather than professional, that has a heavy effect on resale value.

:tongue_in_cheek:

Also find how much diesel is in the tank, as it can affect the value these days :lol:

Good luck!

Alan

Edited by alan_fincher

It looks like a reasonable boat at that price - although I'd always like to think that there was room for manoeuvre in that, but....

Can't quite put my finger on why I'm slightly cagey - perhaps I'm a bit concerned about that sliding bed in the front cabin - make sure that you can get in and out easily - you will need to - where are the steps to the front door? What is the situation when the bed is out of the way? Can it be pushed right out of the way during the day?

There are some slightly odd stains , which could be nothing more than artefacts of the photographic process, but ... what is the staining to the bottom right hand corner of the wooden end to the sofa/seating in the top right hand photo on the website? What the hell is the red door bell doing there too? Have a good look at the wall to the right of the front doorway - It's probably nothing more than some shelving that has been removed, but best to be sure.

Sawbridgeworth, River Stort is lovely, would you keep it there (given that it's a long way from you), or move it?

Regards

Cath

Something about Lombardini engines, and availability of engineers here.....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...st&p=115776

(There are very few references to Lombardini on the whole forum. Don't know if that's good, (they don't give problems), or bad, (nobody has one) !

Hi Cath

Our plan is to let our house out and liveaboard as genuine continuous cruisers. We may need to find a mooring for the first six months if we find a boat now, just until we get ourselves sorted.

Thanks for the advice - it's worth having lots of perspectives on things to pay attention to, especially as distance means we can't pop to see the boat when we think of somethiing we should have looked at! (We live in Ashford in Kent by the way, not a million miles away but with the price of petrol far enough)

Ange

Seriously though.......... it looks great but just take a deep breath and look at everything critically (as in take off the rose tinted specs :lol: )

absolutely, very easy to get swept up in it all, and lose your sense of perspective and critical viewpoint

... YSL windlass ...

:lol: Rose, I've spent ages on the YSL website - is it under Mens' Accessories or Womens'? Do I need to look at the English or Francais version? I noticed that Moley was wearing a natty Dior windlass holder at the banter - are these generally available "pret a porter", or have I got to get one made up specially to my measurements and requirements?

Cath

I'm assuming its a private sale - this shouldn't be a problem but will mean that theres more for you to do, especially if you're not getting a marine mortgage. You'll have to make sure you get a bill of sale if you decide to buy it etc.

When viewing, retain a professional attitude with the buyer - if you love the boat don't get too overexcited or the seller may not be so flexible on price if they know you really want it. If you go through with it, keep a distance - you know they need to sell, but if after survey for example you decide to pull out its NOT your problem. Our sale went fine, but we did become friends with the seller, which would have made things difficult if it had gone wrong.

Looks like a decent boat, reasonably priced. Good luck, take lots of photos, and be critical! This could be your home!

Hi there,

One thing i noticed from the spec of the boat was this:

HEATING : KABOLA OLD DUTCH OIL FIRED ROOM HEATER WITH HOT WATER COIL FOR CENTRAL HEATING TWO RADS

We have a very similar oil/diesel heater with 2 rads on our 60ft boat. Last winter, with diesel @ 76p / litre it cost us almost £30 a week in the coldest times to keep the boat warm (including an eco-fan). Diesel is currently 89p / litre and set to rise much higher. We are now planning on removing our heater and getting a new squirrel with back-boiler because of the cost of diesel. When we 1st bought the boat, diesel was 32p / litre and it was pretty cheap even in the coldest months.

Just something to bear in mind when looking at this boat, if you are planning on living-aboard through the winter :lol:

HTH

Marc :lol:

When we 1st bought the boat, diesel was 32p / litre

Ah, the good old days. When I first started I remember it being 29p per litre. It went upto around 32p/34p and seemed to hang around that mark for ages. I wouldn't be suprised, with things going the way they are, for people to start fitting petrol engines in their boats instead of diesel.

Although I wouldn't recommend running your diesel stove on one... BANG! :lol:

When we 1st bought the boat, diesel was 32p / litre and it was pretty cheap even in the coldest months.

Ah, the good old days. When I first started I remember it being 29p per litre.

Light weights!

I can remember 2/6d (12.5 p) per Gallon.

I think I make that 2.75 pence (approx) per litre.

Light weights!

I can remember 2/6d (12.5 p) per Gallon.

I think I make that 2.75 pence (approx) per litre.

Hehehe.... i'm new to this boating malarky (only 3 years afloat), and still mildly on the "young" side at the ripe old age of 36! :lol:

Don't regret it for a second, and won't live in bricks and mortar again until i can't physically do it anymore :lol:

Something about Lombardini engines, and availability of engineers here.....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...st&p=115776

(There are very few references to Lombardini on the whole forum. Don't know if that's good, (they don't give problems), or bad, (nobody has one) !

Hi Ange.

If it's a Lombardini FOCS series engine, be very, very sure it's in tip top order. They are an appallingly designed unit (in my opinion), requiring hugely expensive special tools for what should be straightforward maintenance and certain parts (e.g. the combined pump / injectors ) are eye wateringly expensive. It also has a cam belt, so higher maintenance / risk than a chain or gear linked unit. Make it clear to the vendor you want to hear it start from cold and be sure to give it a good thrash to get it properly hot. Any poor starting, rough running or indeed any nasties you notice should be treated as serious negotiating points.

If the boat is otherwise what you fancy, I wouldn't let the engine put me off, but I would think about budgeting to replace the engine with something better in the event of it requiring work of any consequence.

Mike.

Edited by onthecut