Rochdale Canal

Bones

Featured Posts

Well, if you find yourself at Sawley, you've gone to the wrong canal!

You can see why we haven't put Bones in charge of planning and navigation!

I grew up in and around Todmorden, Hebden Bridge and Heptonstall, so the area is very familiar to me. It will be good to see it afresh through the eyes of a new visitor.

Martin, many thanks for that link to the Heptonstall site. I've been there many times, but don't recognise half of those pictures, although R.J. and I have found ourself lost at Slack Bottom on more than one occasion....

Grahoom, I can't believe that I've lived here all these years and never visited Hardcastle Crags. I think I may well put that right on this trip.

Janet

Martin, many thanks for that link to the Heptonstall site.

Grahoom, I can't believe that I've lived here all these years and never visited Hardcastle Crags. I think I may well put that right on this trip.

If you allow yourself a few hours shore leave, you could cover Hardcastle Crags and Heptonstall in the same walk. I might even come and join you for it!

I feel lousy about not being able to give you a lift.. But here's a couple of slightly interesting things that you may not see in the guides, I will send you a few more when I think of them..

Lock 27, Grandma Pollard's, very much a canalside Chippy, also fruit pies and all sorts, 'a bit of a 'Northern thing'.

Lock 28, Walk up the lane 75 yards or so on the left, a Blue plaque, are there any physics nerds amongst you.

When do you actually set off?

Edited by John Orentas

Hi John,

We set off next Saturday, 13th September.

What do you think of the route plan and timings I posted? Is it all do-able do you think?

If anyone wants to suggest better or different places to moor, or things to do, we'd be very grateful!

Janet

It is really a lovely place, loads of wather falls, and lovely rocky river! and it's so clost to Hebden Bridge!

Hi Janet, Bones & others.

Yes the schedule looks very reasonable but of course with all these things the weather, the odd dry pound or a slight over-stay in a pub my enforce some flexibility, personally I would be inclined to just keep going for three days and a bit, then turn around, there will always be a nice mooring in the vicinity and a good hostelry.

A small group of us spend a fair bit of time moving boats around on the canal for various reason (last of the summer wine style), we find we can make long distances on a good day and you will find that owing to the close proximity of the locks the canal lends itself to lock wheeling (but without a bike) and as there is usually little traffic so someone going in front can save a lot of time and effort.. Don't be afraid to manage your own water supply, a low pound is not the end of the world, with a little thought you can let water down (the minimum) to where it is needed..

We are having problems lately with paddle mechanisms that have suffered damage and not been repaired so some locks may be a lot slower than others but don't worry about it too much, it is part of the charm of the canal.. Some of the gates can be quite heavy but you will get used to that too, it is after all a barge canal, develop the knack of using only one gate, that makes life a little easier.. We don't bother with ropes when using the locks and we rarely moor up preferring just to hover about in the channel but all that is up to you..

One or two disconnected thoughts:- There are a few unique features on the Rochdale, there are still one or two locks which are still fitted with 'A' frames, these are structures which gave support to the tops of the bottom gates in the event of a barge hitting the gates from within the lock, a 50 ton barge only doing 1 mph can do some damage, but if the the frame has gone the recess in the the stone capping can still be seen.. Notice too that the lock chambers where all designed and build with alternative gate recess which would reduce the size of the lock and as a result the water usage, they were never in fact brought into use.

The two summit locks 37 & 38 are very much more substantial that the rest, built three feet deeper they increased the usable water depth of the summit level to act as a reservoir.. You will need to arrange to have the two summit locks unlocked for your passage, you are not permitted to moor overnight on the summit for reasons known to no-one and there is a good eating pub close by, the Bird i'th Hand.. The valley that the summit level passes through is one of those odd ones, it was not carved out by a river but it is said by melt water from the last Ice Age, look high up onto the hillsides and you will see a network of Pack Horse trails, the only means of transportation before the canal was built, not even the road which has accompanied you since Todmorden existed then, the valley bottom was no more than a bog.. Those power lines that pass high above, when built they had the longest span in Britain, fascinating eh.. In wet weather there are several waterfalls again high on the valley sides..

The Summit pub is accessed from a very good overnight mooring below lock 37, that mooring, Chelburn is one that the society have recently built..

I will PM one of you with a couple of phone numbers.

P.S. Take a few extra handcuff and BW Yale keys.

Edited by John Orentas

Great reply John. Many thanks! Such a pity you can't join us.

We've done some sections of the Rochdale before, so luckily we're familiar with the locks. It must just because we like doing locks, but I don't remember any of them being particularly difficult. One gate is the norm for us. R.J. very rarely affords me the luxury of using two!

Any more information from anyone will be gratefully received. Bones wants to see as many places of interest along the canal as possible. That will definitely be a first for us - we don't usually leave the boat, except for essential shopping (and the occasional pub!)

We're planning a banter on the last night (Friday) at the pub at the basin at the end of the old Halifax arm, just past Salterhebble. Cheshire~Rose is coming up to join us, and any other CW members will be more than welcome! Mini-banters along the way are also a distinct possibility, if anyone has any suggestions?

Janet

One week today!!!!!

It is going to be a first for all of us I think - Neither Maffi or I have ever stepped foot on a hire boat, and I am going to thoroughly enjoy the luxury of a boat that works....

I am going to do more locks than my brain can even contemplate, and we are going to explore the place. Should be fun!

Good stuffs.

If anyone is around for mini banters DO say - it would be great to meet as many people along the way as possible.

The main banter will take place at the The Watermill, Salterhebble, on Friday 19th September. Time yet to be decided, but probably early evening, although there's nothing to stop folk getting there early and getting a head start on us! A welcoming party to heckle us as we wind precisely and perfectly in the basin would be good!

It's conveniently located next to a Premier Inn for anyone who wants to stay overnight. Possibly advisable, as the pub serve a fine pint of Timothy Taylor's! The food at the Watermill (unless it's changed drastically!) was excellent last time we were there, when we had a great evening on the last night of our Devon cruise. The wine was a bit pricey, but after our second bottle, we didn't really care!

We're currently thinking of a meal at about 20.00 - if anyone's thinking of joining us, it would be good to know in advance so we can let the pub know.

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Much as we'd love to join you, w**k, lack of transport, and two kittens who wouldn't be happy about us being away all night, make it impossible. We can get to Manchester, but any further than that is a bit tricky. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time - hope the weather improves a little!

Ooo. I may well be there - the weather and, if I'm honest, a lack of confidence for the rivery bits, means I may well head down the Rochdale rather than getting up to the York and/or the L&L.

Wooooo hooooooo! We may have the HBF!!!! How cool is that?

Chris, we've done some of the rivery bits, although we haven't made it up to York yet. Trust me, if a hire boat company will let people out to do the trip up to York, than it quite ain't as scary as you think! Just needs a bit of careful planning. Saying that, I did once manage to ground the boat at a very severe angle on a mud bank and had to be towed off by a passing sand barge....but don't let that frighten you! I was just having a blonde day....

You simply MUST do the L&L. It's my local canal, and apart from a couple of grot spots which are soon passed, it's absolutely fabulous. From Burnley through Barlick, Gargrave and Skipton is just idyllic. Watch out for the rabbit field, with a lovely old house at the top. Suggest you get yourself an air rifle and pot dinner as you cruise past!

Janet

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions of things to have a look at on our cruise. The time for our departure is looming, and the excitement is soaring as the days, minuntes and hours pass by. It wont be long before we are off and away on the boat, and we are looking forward to exploring, boating, and meeting as many people as possible along the way!

If you are in or around the area during the week beginning Saturday 13th then do let us know, or just rock up. If the boat is moving, I doubt it will stop, but you will be armed with a cuppa and a windlass and we can banter along the way. I THINK Maffi and I have persuaded RJ and Janet to stop of an evening, so if you are wanting to banter come along and join us (bring a bottle!).

The suitcase is twitching, the corkscrew is convulsing and the holiday fever is twirling.

In no time at all two southern jessies will be driving north and even further north, and then EVEN further north to meet the hardened northerners for our weeks holiday afloat. We've all only met twice! :lol:

Wooooo hooooooo! We may have the HBF!!!! How cool is that?

Chris, we've done some of the rivery bits, although we haven't made it up to York yet. Trust me, if a hire boat company will let people out to do the trip up to York, than it quite ain't as scary as you think! Just needs a bit of careful planning. Saying that, I did once manage to ground the boat at a very severe angle on a mud bank and had to be towed off by a passing sand barge....but don't let that frighten you! I was just having a blonde day....

You simply MUST do the L&L. It's my local canal, and apart from a couple of grot spots which are soon passed, it's absolutely fabulous. From Burnley through Barlick, Gargrave and Skipton is just idyllic. Watch out for the rabbit field, with a lovely old house at the top. Suggest you get yourself an air rifle and pot dinner as you cruise past!

Janet

Careful, M'Dear, you may well end-up getting press-ganged for crewing all those damn lift and swing bridges ...

Careful, M'Dear, you may well end-up getting press-ganged for crewing all those damn lift and swing bridges ...

Have windlass....will travel!

In no time at all two southern jessies will be driving north and even further north, and then EVEN further north to meet the hardened northerners for our weeks holiday afloat. We've all only met twice!

It's going to be fun!!! I don't think there's a sane crew member amongst us!

Janet

Janet

Look out for us!

We are at lock 46 now and moving East tomorrow.

Nick

Janet

Oi - speak for yourself! :lol:

Look out for us!

We are at lock 46 now and moving East tomorrow.

Nick

Excellent - it will be good to meet up with you! We are on one of the shire hire boats.....

Seriously though it is a beautiful trip form Sowerby to Littleborough and it aint to bad through to Manchester, its reputation is worse than its bite. As for the locks, well, there are 2 pubs for every lock within 100 yard of the canal so it does compensate and if you do get as far as Littleborough the Red Lion (mine & 2 other members of this forums local) sells fine ale at £1.30 a pint.

Enjoy. Steve.

mmm the pub sounds good!

Could work out. We're leaving shackerstone (6/7th sept) and heading north, thro manchester to standedge, over the top, and down the rochdale late sept.

Daniel

will you make it?

Day one Kangaroo Surprise

Day two Koala Suprise

Day three Polar Bear Suprise

Day four Fry up

Day five Kangaroo Surprise

Day six Koala Suprise

Day seven Polar Bear Suprise

Excellent planning for the meals there maff, but I think we need Curry on the first night, steak on the second and roast on the third.