Rochdale Canal

Bones

Featured Posts

Have you asked Shire about a one way trip, Sowerby to Castlefields, I know this is sometimes possible.

Shire's one-way trip is Sowerby Bridge to Guide Bridge, Ashton - either via the Rochdale Canal or the Huddersfield Canal. An energetic crew doing this via the Rochdale might have time to go down to Castlefield and back as an extra.

Actually, I could do with picking your brains....realistically, just how far do you think we can get along the Rochdale in a week, bearing in mind that we like to cruise for long days but we are being accompanied by a couple of soft Southern jessies?

Oi! This soft Southern Jessie did the Caen Hill flight (16) in less than three hours single handed.

Edited by Maffi

Will tell you later! :lol:

I dont' want to give anyone the impression we are so accident prone we might not make it out of the hire base.

Edited by Bones

Any more takers for the first, biggest and best ever Rochdale Canal banter?

Janet

Wish we could join you, but sadly it's just too far away. We're waiting for the first Macclesfield or Manchester banter..........................

Wish we could join you, but sadly it's just too far away. We're waiting for the first Macclesfield or Manchester banter..........................

make one!

And make it around Fridaaay 22nd / Saturday 23rd August,

I reckon we could be chugging your way soon :lol:

And make it around Fridaaay 22nd / Saturday 23rd August,

I reckon we could be chugging your way soon :lol:

Hmmm. Not ideal timing - w*rk is going to cause problems every weekend in August. Except for the last one, but I daren't mention where we're going then, as I got told off for being intellectual last time I did. :lol:

Looks like I'm going to have to be nice to my boss and see if I can arrange a swap.

Edited by DaveandDebby

I feel a Rochdale Canal Banter coming along!

Wow. You are so lucky. It is a beautiful canal, and the scenery from Sowerby Bridge to West Summit, Lock 37 is stunning.

HPIM1698.jpg

You can wave to my Auntie at Brearley Bridge, and a visit to "Grandma Pollard's Fish & Chip shop" in Walsden is to be highly recommended. The best fish and chips on the planet.

september 13 for one whole week!

I will be back at work :lol: then but have some pie and peas for me.

1. Take one pork pie

2. Heat it up (yes, I know)

3. Deposit it in a dish of mushy peas

4. Douse with mint sauce

5. Eat with a spoon

At least, that's how they did it at the Star in Huddersfield. Happy days.

1. Take one pork pie

I'll have to try and persuade R.J. to drive to Sowerby Bridge via Skipton when we go to meet up with Bones and Maffi, because there's a shop there that sells the best pork pies in the entire world! Delicious hot, but even better served cold with a side dish of olives and pickled onions! Our very favourite cruising lunch!

However, R.J. doesn't much like mushy peas, and our tame skellington has certain allergies, so we may all be on McDonald's instead!

Maffi? I'll meet you at the pointy end for hot pie 'n' peas (with pickled red cabbage of course!) and sod the other two!

Janet

I'll have to try and persuade R.J. to drive to Sowerby Bridge via Skipton when we go to meet up with Bones and Maffi, because there's a shop there that sells the best pork pies in the entire world! Delicious hot, but even better served cold with a side dish of olives and pickled onions! Our very favourite cruising lunch!

However, R.J. doesn't much like mushy peas, and our tame skellington has certain allergies, so we may all be on McDonald's instead!

Maffi? I'll meet you at the pointy end for hot pie 'n' peas (with pickled red cabbage of course!) and sod the other two!

Janet

Peas are Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Peas are Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Proper mushy peas with a hot pork pie supper is even better! We'll do peas Bones. I promise, we'll do peas...

The OCM's can do as they please....after all, they are just extra crew....we don't need them really, do we? Ah bless....they have their place I suppose....

In case any of you hadn't guessed, we are really looking forward to this holiday! We are all counting down the days until we go. Bones, Maffi, Janet S and R.J.....a very scary crew....

Be afraid......be very afraid......!

Janet

• 3 weeks later...

So what happened, have you been? Tell all. Rochdale is brill, tried to do it from Shipley down the L&L, but canal was shut. Done the same trip you were planning in Dorset from Shire a few yrs ago, didn't get to Littleborough made the summit and turned round is that short pound below the summit (East) still really leaky, there was no water in the morning!