Rochdale Canal

Bones

Featured Posts

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I do believe we have the beginnings of a cunning plan.....here's the first draft. Anyone with experience of the Rochdale (Martin and John, we may need your help!) please feel free to comment with any ideas or suggestions. We're intending to moor at the end of the old Halifax arm in time for a banter, where we hope to meet up with as many CW members as possible. Cheshire~Rose is speeding up after work to join us overnight on the last night! She was invited on the trip, but unfortunately work commitments mean that she can't make it until the last night. :lol:

Can anyone remember the name of the pub there? Also, if anyone can think of places to meet up for further mini-banters along the way, please chip in with your suggestions!

Rochdale Day 1 – Saturday

From Sowerby Bridge to:Rawden Mill Lock No 12

Total distance is 6 miles, 5¾ flg and 10 locks. This will take 4 hours, 30 minutes.

Rochdale Day 2 – Sunday

From Rawden Mill Lock No 12 to:Longlees Lock No 36 Eastern Summit Lock

Total distance is 6 miles, 3¼ flg and 23 locks. This will take 7 hours, 40 minutes.

Rochdale Day 3 – Monday

From Longlees Lock No 36 to:First Laneside Lock No 54

Total distance is 9 miles, ½ flg and 17 locks. This will take 7 hours, 1 minute.

Rochdale Day 4 – Tuesday

From First Laneside Lock No 54 to: Turn around at Oldham Broadway Bridge

First Laneside Lock No 54

Total distance is 8 miles, 2½ flg and 20 locks. This will take 7 hours, 30 minutes.

Rochdale Day 5 – Wednesday

From First Laneside Lock No 54 to:Chelburn Bridge

Total distance is 8 miles, 2½ flg and 16 locks. This will take 6 hours, 32 minutes.

Rochdale Day 6 – Thursday

From Chelburn Bridge to:Lob Mill Lock No 16

Lobb Mill Bridge No 26

Total distance is 5 miles, 3¼ flg and 21 locks. This will take 6 hours, 53 minutes.

Rochdale Day 7 – Friday

From Lob Mill Lock No 16 to:Salterhebble Basin

Total distance is 11 miles, ½ flg and 14 locks. This will take 6 hours, 45 minutes.

Rochdale Day 8 – Saturday

From Salterhebble Basin to:Sowerby Bridge, Junction with Calder and Hebble Navigation

Total distance is 2 miles, 4¾ flg and 0 locks. This will take 44 minutes.

As I said, this is just a provisional plan. We've decided to take it easy this time, as we don't want to exhaust Bones and Maffi. This way we'll get them up and over the Summit, whilst hopefully giving them time to do a bit of sightseeing along the way. As this route is new to both of them, we'd also appreciate any information on interesting places that they may like to visit. It's a bit difficult for us, as it's our local area, and we're a bit too familiar with it to think what might be of interest to newcomers to the area.

God forbid! They're actually going to leave the boat and go sightseeing! Unheard of for crew members to abandon ship on one of our trips!

Janet

Edited by Janet S

God forbid! They're actually going to leave the boat and go sightseeing! Unheard of for crew members to abandon ship on one of our trips!

Janet

Oi! It's Morts trip!!!!!!!:lol:

Edited by Maffi

We're intending to moor at the end of the old Halifax arm in time for a banter, where we hope to meet up with as many CW members as possible. Cheshire~Rose is speeding up after work to join us overnight on the last night! She was invited on the trip, but unfortunately work commitments mean that she can't make it until the last night. :lol:

Can anyone remember the name of the pub there?

Is it The Millers that's alongside the canal terminus? There is also the Punch Bowl not far away.

Well that is what they are allowing her to believe!

:lol:

considering our track record I am delighted RJ and J are coming along - I doubt Maffi and I would get out of the hire basin in one peice. It was only the other day that we were talking a short stroll along the pavement and Maffi lept into the air and started snogging the road... something to do with tripping over....

:lol:

considering our track record I am delighted RJ and J are coming along - I doubt Maffi and I would get out of the hire basin in one peice. It was only the other day that we were talking a short stroll along the pavement and Maffi lept into the air and started snogging the road... something to do with tripping over....

Oi!!!!!! the curb was all iggldy piggldy. Not a senior moment.

tsk, boys are always the same - get caught out in a moment of passion and they blame it on the curb.

actually

iggldy piggldy is going to be the new black.

What a beautiful beautiful phrase.

I doubt Maffi and I would get out of the hire basin in one peice. It was only the other day that we were talking a short stroll along the pavement and Maffi lept into the air and started snogging the road... something to do with tripping over....

You sure that you two wouldn't be more at home on a coach trip to Blackpool? I can arrange one for you, complete with zimmer frame and bi-focals. (optional guide dog.....)

Maffi, we'll overlook your passion for kissing concrete...after all, we all have our secret vices, don't we? Just so long as you know one end of a windlass from the other, and know where to put it....

Janet

PS. Oh my giddy aunt! What have we let ourselves in for? CW Massive hits the Rochdale!!!

iggldy piggldy is going to be the new black

No my dear. Iggldy piggldy is definitely a shade of beige.......so last year, don't you think?

Janet

No dear I hit the pavement with my head!

THATS what we call it these days! Actually, you did, twice - and it looked very painful..... I hope your eye isn't going to fall out on our trip!

Edited by Bones

Just so long as you know one end of a windlass from the other, and know where to put it....

Yes Of course I do there is a hook in the cupboard. Silly girl.

BEIGE?

she said beige.

Good lordy!

No panache.

I know what you mean sweety northerners are strange

Of course you are 'ard, sweety

Hmm... you clearly need a good whacking over the head with a bunch of wooden tulips.

hmm... arent we meant to be coming up with a menu for the week.... the two chefs extraordinaire? We have the southern quaters to represent... oh dear!

northerners are strange

You better bet we are!

hmm... arent we meant to be coming up with a menu for the week.... the two chefs extraordinaire? We have the southern quaters to represent... oh dear!

Excuse me? There's only two weeks to go and you haven't got our menu planned yet? Shame on you....

Janet

Day one Kangaroo Surprise

Day two Koala Suprise

Day three Polar Bear Suprise

Day four Fry up

Day five Kangaroo Surprise

Day six Koala Suprise

Day seven Polar Bear Suprise

Edited by Maffi

Not long now until our trip! Just over a week in fact.

Does anyone have any recommendations about short walks from the canal going from sawley towards Hebden and beyond where I will find some interesting things - wells, plaques, churches, ruins, stones etc etc?

Not long now until our trip! Just over a week in fact.

Does anyone have any recommendations about short walks from the canal going from sawley towards Hebden and beyond where I will find some interesting things - wells, plaques, churches, ruins, stones etc etc?

i went here recently

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-hardcastlecrags

not far from Hebden bridge. - worth a visit I reckon.

HardcastleCrags.jpg

Well, if you find yourself at Sawley, you've gone to the wrong canal!

It sounds as if you would just love Heptonstall, up on t'hill above Hebden Bridge.

Plenty of photos here:

http://www.hebweb.notaproblem.co.uk/Nigel/...heptonstall.htm.

Photo from that site here:

01%20Heptonstall%20Post%20Office.JPG

Edited by MartinClark