Waterway Skips

Bones

Featured Posts

Does anyone, by any chance, know whether it is possible to hire a skip or barge skip? I realise land skips are easy enough, but what about on water when there is no road access to the point you need one?

Does anyone, by any chance, know whether it is possible to hire a skip or barge skip? I realise land skips are easy enough, but what about on water when there is no road access to the point you need one?

Hi Bones

Don't know where from, but it's definitely do-able. Saw several in use at development sites on our recent trip to Limehouse.

Look like any other skip except for large floats down either side.

regards

David

Hi

I think it was this outfit who provided the equipment when we dismantled Selby Locks 18months ago and I'm sure they had small skips on pontoons.

http://www.lakelandmarine.co.uk/plant-equipment.htm

Also worked for Intermarine on the Leeds Centre redevelopment earlier this year and they had all kinds of pontoons on site so they may be able to help.

They're based in Southampton but work all over.

Could I suggest contacting BW although I wouldn't hold my breath...........probably sold them anyway.

I realise land skips are easy enough, but what about on water when there is no road access to the point you need one?

Like David we saw lots of these things, (lots in use up the River Lee too).

What's not obvious, is how they are got into, and out of, the water.

Obviously it will not help the situation you describe, if it's by a lorry backing up to the canal.

I guess you could have them dropped somewhere a lorry can go, then tow them to where needed, but I doubt I'd want to take a full one through a lock, and, overall they are almost certainly wider than a narrow lock. They also look like they would tow less well than a River class butty.

BW used to run a skip boat (Hopper) down here, starting in Oxford every now and again, it was very usefull, we have been thinking of asking them if they will run one again soon. By the way

Did you know Andy (Belinda) moored between the Boat and Jolly Boatman?

I think I understand Bones train of thought here....

Would it be anything to do with how to clear out a certain lock cottage on the Southern Oxford that requires a lot of TLC and, initially several skip loads of debris to be removed?

Am I barking up the wrong tree or is Bones trying to work out the logistics of living her dream..........

BW used to run a skip boat (Hopper) down here, starting in Oxford every now and again, it was very usefull, we have been thinking of asking them if they will run one again soon. By the way

Did you know Andy (Belinda) moored between the Boat and Jolly Boatman?

I think I did. Why? I know people by sight normally.

If that is Bones's idea then a quiet word with the farmer could see a skip lorry use the farmer tracks (easily seen from Google Earth). The access doesnt seem to bad this way and as its summer no muck would be churned over.....

possible. Just thought I would look into water skips just incase land skips weren't possible.............. As it happens I probably won't need either, but one has to spend some time in life chasing rainbows.

Hi Bones,

I think I know why you wish you needed a skip....

If I ever catch up with my rainbow, then I'll turn up in my unconverted Josher, and take the rubbish to the nearest road access where the skip would be...

Now I shall wake up with my head in the cornflakes...

Now Bones, don't you go chasing Stonehenge. Leave her rainbow alone, please.

K :lol:

possible. Just thought I would look into water skips just incase land skips weren't possible.............. As it happens I probably won't need either, but one has to spend some time in life chasing rainbows.

Hi

What you need to do is find a friend with a working boat load it up with the crap and hide it in the long grass on the Leicester section of the GU no one will ever know

David

Nah - even easier than that.

If BW are to be believed there are very, very many boats about to get a section 8 down Bones's way. Drop a couple of them a tenner or so, fill the boats then let BW dispose of it.

Only half joking :lol:

Tradgically he died last week, His funeral is next Monday. Mafi probably would have known him and Belinda, as he was moored by them, (on the big blue boat) near the Jolly, towards Thrupp and Andy was usually in the Jolly after work sitting at the bar reading the newspaper. Very sad.

Yep, I knew him. That is awful! Have pM'd you.

Nah - even easier than that.

If BW are to be believed there are very, very many boats about to get a section 8 down Bones's way. Drop a couple of them a tenner or so, fill the boats then let BW dispose of it.

Only half joking :lol:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!