Bridge Etiquette

onthecut

Featured Posts

Always maintain a courteous attitude to everyone, partner, opponents, Director, kibitzers, team-mates.

Do not express displeasure or satisfaction at a lead, play, bid, double or any other call partner makes.

Always make sure that any conventional bids used by you and your partner are alerted, and clearly explained to the opponents in answer to a question. Make sure that your convention card is correctly filled in, legible and available to your opponents.

Do not look to see the place in his hand from which another player pulls a card in playing, nor draw inferences therefrom.

Always make bids and plays in a uniform manner without special emphasis or inflection of the voice or method of playing the bidding cards which would give partner information on the nature of your hand

Do not draw any inference from the fact that partner has hesitated, or has bid with any special emphasis or inflection of the voice.

Always make sure that you announce skip bids before making them, and that you pause at least the recommended time after a skip bid, while looking interested. Clearly counting the seconds or looking bored while waiting after a skip bid is a very serious breach of ethics.

Do not hesitate, either in the bidding or in the play, in order to deceive the opponents.

Always claim to speed up the play if you are certain that all the tricks are yours, or that there is no doubt at all how many tricks each side is going to make.

Do not prepare to lead to a trick before the previous trick is completed. Do not play early.

ALWAYS call the director at the first sign of an irregularity. Never make your own rulings. For Duplicate players

NEVER FAIL to exercise active ethics and full disclosure. Keep your (filled out) convention cards available for your opponents. For Duplicate players

But it is not your duty to call attention to your own breach of law, such as a revoke made by you or your partner.

Edited by carlt

Always ......

Do not ......

Always .....

Do ....

Alternatively, fit your boat with rocket-propelled grenades. I think technically you cannot then describe your boat as "traditional" though. Unless you paint the grenades with roses & castles.

We found on the Caldon a couple of years back that when you tool up and kit your boat out with advanced weaponry, dress up the crew in fatigues and get them to scream gibberish from the beam, that you don't get bothered by anyone at all.

Alternatively, fit your boat with rocket-propelled grenades. I think technically you cannot then describe your boat as "traditional" though. Unless you paint the grenades with roses & castles.

You'll need to squabble that one out with Speighty :lol:

We found on the Caldon a couple of years back that when you tool up and kit your boat out with advanced weaponry, dress up the crew in fatigues and get them to scream gibberish from the beam, that you don't get bothered by anyone at all.

Yup, I think that was the approach tried by the pirates at BoA last week but with a more traditional twist. There was definitely a plank involved. :lol: :lol:

Surely the point of the canals was to move the maximum load in the minimum time and boating to a deadline was exactly what was required. If you didn't set yourself an ambitious target and achieve it you failed and went hungry.

We are in danger of forgetting the reason the canals were built, and it was not for us to amble along with a glass of Merlot in hand and moan! :lol:

I was going to say the same.

- Times change, and you have to be carefull not to piss to many people off, espcially if you have a more distinctive boat (looks at self). We are quite often on a bit of a misson to get from A to B within a set time, say we're going to a rally at ex, and then only have x days till we have to be home or somthing. Or just because we enjoy moving through swiftly.

We can be slower too, particaularly on narrower canals where our slightly increased depth can cause issue.

However tbh, ive not really had any more trouble than you would expect. Talking helps too. Say if your on a 14ft canal going through locks, or if you have just held a bridge for someone, i usally holla "See you at the next lock/bridge then" as the boat passes. Some people dont even relise they can/could/should wait the 30seconds it takes.

- Simularly ive had people dilly behind us. We get to a lock, wait a minute, see nothing, and then lock up on the assumtion they have stopped off only to get a mouthfull about wasting time and water. Again, all it would take is for them to throw a nod and a "see you at the next lock" and we would all know wahts going on, gate would be open ready for them!

Daniel

Sorry there are a lot of professionals out there not only carrying but also delivering boats to whom a lost 10 mins in the morning means another hour plus in the evening.

*takes life in hands*

Umm whilst I believe it is still a requirement to give way/precedence to commercial boats and, as such, at least polite to avoid impeding their progress, are boats being delivered strictly commercial craft?

If not, whilst I would be polite enough not to get in their way if possible, when push comes to shove, they would have to take the same chances of progress (or not) as the rest of us humble plebes out for a casual "jolly"

Surely that in itself should indicate the need for a general code of etiquette :lol:

*takes life in hands*

Umm whilst I believe it is still a requirement to give way/precedence to commercial boats and, as such, at least polite to avoid impeding their progress, are boats being delivered strictly commercial craft?

If not, whilst I would be polite enough not to get in their way if possible, when push comes to shove, they would have to take the same chances of progress (or not) as the rest of us humble plebes out for a casual "jolly"

Surely that in itself should indicate the need for a general code of etiquette :lol:

There is no longer a requirement to give way/precedence to commercial craft, though it would be churlish not to, as they would almost certainly go faster, though not always. My rule of thumb is, if they can catch me up (and ask nicely), they can overtake but, if it is obvious I am travelling faster, I would expect them to return the courtesy.

If anyone tried to queue jump by saying that they were delivering a boat, they wouldn't stand a chance. I'd merely say "Yeah? Me too!"

Edited to say: I'd steer clear of any commercial traffic on the wide canals (as opposed to broad), though.

Edited by carlt

*coughs politely*

I was reliably informed (on here) that the byelaws are still current on BW waters

If so

“a pleasure boat when meeting, overtaking or being overtaken by a power-driven vessel other than a pleasure boat shall as far as possible keep out of the main navigable channel”

Was I incorrectly informed?

:lol:

We are carrying five bags of coal to the Saul Festival - so if you see NB Alnwick coming up behind you, give way and let us pass (better still, help us through the lock that you just set), because we are carrying an urgent cargo :lol:

*coughs politely*

I was reliably informed (on here) that the byelaws are still current on BW waters

If so

Was I incorrectly informed?

:lol:

Leaving the deeper centre channel clear for a loaded work boat is not the same as letting the deliveryman of the latest clonecraft queue-jump.

It's just another "pleasure boat"

Once upon a time a work boat could claim bridge holes, jump lock queues and, (back on topic) presumably, ignore "lift bridge etiquette". Not anymore.

There's one easy way to clear up the etiquette question for lift and swing-bridges ... can rid of the damn things!

There. I've said it.

Yes, keep a few (locked open, of course!) for the historical interest, but then just replace the rest with proper bridges.

Of course, though, being single-handed I am just a tad biased :lol:

.............but then just replace the rest with proper bridges.

Might be more than a few locations where this is a bit tricky. "Up and over" bridges do need fairly long graded embankments on both approaches.

Think of Winkwell, for example. It might be positively difficult to get in the doors of the pub. (That would be a great improvement, I hear several of you say!.....)

I once had a boy racer try to run the lights/barriers at Winkwell SB..... trapped him on the bridge between the lowered automatic barriers... :lol:

Pleased its got an emergency stop button... :lol:

Should have swung him!

David

Might be more than a few locations where this is a bit tricky. "Up and over" bridges do need fairly long graded embankments on both approaches.

In that case .... tunnel under the cut! :lol:

Think of Winkwell, for example. It might be positively difficult to get in the doors of the pub. (That would be a great improvement, I hear several of you say!.....)

As long as you can moor to get into the pub ...