South Oxford canal tow path

Ernie

Featured Posts

"Oh no boats moored on the canal!!" The sooner we get all the boats off the canal the better.

I guess you must be moored in a marina and pop out at weekends. Maybe if you give BW warning when you are about to cruise they can clear the system for you.

Being a bit marina-ist aren't you? I think the complaint is that the Oxford Canal has rather too many linear moorings, not that they shouldn't be allowed at all. It is nice to see moored boats, but it's also nice to see lengths of canal that don't have any, even if you are a walker and not a boater.

Edited to add: I've never done the Oxford so it may or may not be true that there are "too many" on-line moorings, but I think was the gist of the comment

Edited by magpie patrick

Being a bit marina-ist aren't you? I think the complaint is that the Oxford Canal has rather too many linear moorings, not that they shouldn't be allowed at all. It is nice to see moored boats, but it's also nice to see lengths of canal that don't have any, even if you are a walker and not a boater.

Edited to add: I've never done the Oxford so it may or may not be true that there are "too many" on-line moorings, but I think was the gist of the comment

Marina-ist naughty me!! Still makes a change from all the Constant Cruiser-ists

Sounds like some folk have been a bit spoilt.....however did we cope back in the 70's an 80's and much earlier with virtually no tow paths at all along some sections?

I remember trying to cycle the Wardle Arm or as known now as the Middlewich Branch

I gave up and went by road that was late 80's

"Oh no boats moored on the canal!!" The sooner we get all the boats off the canal the better.

I guess you must be moored in a marina and pop out at weekends. Maybe if you give BW warning when you are about to cruise they can clear the system for you.

I while ago I said something in the vein of advising not to complain about an illegal moorer as it gets you cast as the anti CC conformity fascist. Carl came forward to say I was misrepresenting the case and there was an end to it. Well here is a perfect example. Curly passes comment on the advance of residential development in the canal, and instantly is grossly misrepresented, his clear meaning distorted and exaggerated.

It may or may not be true that some sections of canal are having their use as a reacreational facility impaired by illegal moorers, I could go on to say that the point is debatable, but it isn't; raise the issue and you get flamed. As an aside, DAMN YOU! if you have a marina berth you TOTAL SPAWN OF FILTH!

I while ago I said something in the vein of advising not to complain about an illegal moorer as it gets you cast as the anti CC conformity fascist.

I have been called a fascist a few times on this forum, but I agree that there needs to be a balance.

Here at Cropredy there are about a dozen boats with mooring permits for the linear moorings south of the village. We have one and, like our neighbours, we are not here all the time so there are always a few vacant plots. In among the permanent linear moorings are some '14 day visitor moorings' which have been occupied by same half dozen or so boats for the last twelve months, at least! A few of these are residential boats that have mooring permits for the, now closed, 'Cropredy North' mooring site and they have BW permission to remain where they are. At least one other has been allowed to stay by BW because the owner has developed a medical condition and needs regular treatment. Nevertheless, there are other boats that are locked up and we haven't seen the owners for weeks or even months.

In my opinion, the last case is the most annoying - why do people park their boats on a visitor mooring, lock it up and then leave it for months on end? Surely, these are the boats that should be in a marina or on a BW paid for mooring. There are similarly 'abandoned' boats all along the canals and they often occupy prime mooring points.

Pity really...as I have all the skills required and they simply aren't wanted anymore

I know it has been said that the concept of Lengthmen is unviable because you cannot get cheap labour anymore, but I know lots of active pensioners, with the right skills and knowledge, that would love the idea of a part time job like this for a very modest wage.

I have been called a fascist a few times on this forum, but I agree that there needs to be a balance.

Here at Cropredy there are about a dozen boats with mooring permits for the linear moorings south of the village. We have one and, like our neighbours, we are not here all the time so there are always a few vacant plots. In among the permanent linear moorings are some '14 day visitor moorings' which have been occupied by same half dozen or so boats for the last twelve months, at least! A few of these are residential boats that have mooring permits for the, now closed, 'Cropredy North' mooring site and they have BW permission to remain where they are. At least one other has been allowed to stay by BW because the owner has developed a medical condition and needs regular treatment. Nevertheless, there are other boats that are locked up and we haven't seen the owners for weeks or even months.

In my opinion, the last case is the most annoying - why do people park their boats on a visitor mooring, lock it up and then leave it for months on end? Surely, these are the boats that should be in a marina or on a BW paid for mooring. There are similarly 'abandoned' boats all along the canals and they often occupy prime mooring points.

This is not really the point, I get the impression that if you stand and point at a boat and say "That boat has been on that visitor mooring for a year" there are those who will stand right next to you and say "What boat, you're imagining it, you just want something to complain about, ALL you marina berth-holders are predjudiced". Push them against the side of the offending boat and it will be "I'm all wet now!"

The fact that you may be aware of overstaying boats in an area with which you are very familiar is not relevant, someone who has never been there will tell you you don't know what you're on about and you are an elitist pig for mentioning it. It is a forbidden issue.

As an aside, DAMN YOU! if you have a marina berth you TOTAL SPAWN OF FILTH!

I believe that only a paranoid marina dweller has ever used this extreme language.

I don't care whether anyone is in a marina, on-line, licensed, overstaying or whatever, as long as they don't interfere with other peoples' lives.

So anyone who is sat on a water point, whilst not filling up, when I want to use it, will be asked to move.

Anyone overstaying on visitor moorings, should be asked, by the authority who should be counting, to move on.

Anyone who is on the snitch-line, shouting about boats that are not affecting them, will be laughed at.

As to the exaggerators who believe that there are too many boats moored up, on the Oxford...They'll be ignored.

Now, about those buns, Bones....

So is one not allowed to cut the grass oneself?

I mean if it is not allowed, then I was naughty as we did trim the grass along the piling edge to get tot he gunnels for painting, and scattered the cuttings over the bankside.

Was that nughty?

If you want to see flies scattered from the sh*t, come to where we are. We are in the most glorious of company. More unlicensed baots here than you can wish for, and they are all here because the crane man is after them and they are hiding. But, at least they have moved!

Oh and the one who was chucked out of the marina. Itse getting a bit silly here!

This spot we are in , a year ago would of had one or two boats here at the moment, usually every few months or so. Someone told us last weekend there were 12 boats all crammed in , mostly in between the unlicensed ones who are hiding and the visitors don't know any different.

Carries on like this, there will be nowhere for visitors to moor.

ALL you marina berth-holders are predjudiced".

Well I would have said maybe only 95%

I think the comment was that there were to many boats moored on the Oxford Canal, not quite sure what to many is, I was on the Oxford last October and never felt there were to many boats but that is just my opinion. The same as it is my opinion that those people that moore in Marinas feel that everyone else should be in a marina and then leave the canals clear for when they come out!!

Talking about boats coming out of marinas why is it when they come steaming out of the marina they feel that a couple of beebs of the horn will mean that they have the right of way and all boats on the canal should stop as they come out.

I believe that only a paranoid marina dweller has ever used this extreme language.

I don't care whether anyone is in a marina, on-line, licensed, overstaying or whatever, as long as they don't interfere with other peoples' lives.

So anyone who is sat on a water point, whilst not filling up, when I want to use it, will be asked to move.

Anyone overstaying on visitor moorings, should be asked, by the authority who should be counting, to move on.

Anyone who is on the snitch-line, shouting about boats that are not affecting them, will be laughed at.

As to the exaggerators who believe that there are too many boats moored up, on the Oxford...They'll be ignored.

Now, about those buns, Bones....

Yes, well and good Carl, you have again stated your not unreasonable point of view. I cannot do so without being called judgemental and in the same breath lumped into that group we all love to hate, the marina moorer, and this is my point, why is this subject shouted down, and why are marina moorers to be a pariah group?

My somewhat hysterical language,

As an aside, DAMN YOU! if you have a marina berth you TOTAL SPAWN OF FILTH!

Was, as I suspect you know, ironic, not illustrative.

Talking about boats coming out of marinas why is it when they come steaming out of the marina they feel that a couple of beebs of the horn will mean that they have the right of way and all boats on the canal should stop as they come out.

I would hazard a guess they have heard speak of "down stream boats having the right of way" of course as Marina moorers they feel above evrybody else so its obviously a down stream manouver to leave their marina. :lol:

Anyway as far as I can tell, the rest of the system have a long way to go to get to the poor standards of the eastern K&A. Just a personal thought I think the path cleared should be narrower just to slow the cyclists down a bit :lol:

Paul

Edited by GSer

The only time I've come out of a marina I've done it for the same reason as at a canal junction. "I can't see if anyone is there and if there is I guess they can't see me". Await return blast and if it comes hold back...

The only time I've come out of a marina I've done it for the same reason as at a canal junction. "I can't see if anyone is there and if there is I guess they can't see me". Await return blast and if it comes hold back...

Me too, it's a blind exit. I suppose if someone doesn't realise that if they are close enough to be an issue, they should answer it. Then perhaps a situation would arise where there would be a horn blast followed by a boat appearing as if it has right of way. The answer of course, is give a blast on your own horn in response and they will hang back until you have passed.

Yes, well and good Carl, you have again stated your not unreasonable point of view. I cannot do so without being called judgemental and in the same breath lumped into that group we all love to hate, the marina moorer, and this is my point, why is this subject shouted down, and why are marina moorers to be a pariah group?

Well, if I were to get another canal boat, in view of what happened to Usk, I would put it in a marina, for security.

If I were to live aboard, on the other hand, I could never go into a marina.

The canals need the income from marinas, to survive in the condition they're in, just as they need the hirers, towpath dwellers,ccers and (even) timesharers.

All, from time to time, feel victimised, to a lesser or greater extent but no one group has an exclusive right to the title "proper boaters".

As the "local" bypass protestors discovered, when they enlisted the help of the "career protestors" (I hesitate to use the term "swampy"), we're all in this together and, if we don't actually recognise this, it will be taken away from everyone.

The problem isn't other boaters, of whatever kind, it's the people who can pull the plug.

When you're stood 70' behind your stem post, what else are you supposed to do? Send scouts on ahead, perhaps.

Centre or front steering position, anyone?

Well, if I were to get another canal boat, in view of what happened to Usk, I would put it in a marina, for security.

If I were to live aboard, on the other hand, I could never go into a marina.

The canals need the income from marinas, to survive in the condition they're in, just as they need the hirers, towpath dwellers,ccers and (even) timesharers.

All, from time to time, feel victimised, to a lesser or greater extent but no one group has an exclusive right to the title "proper boaters".

As the "local" bypass protestors discovered, when they enlisted the help of the "career protestors" (I hesitate to use the term "swampy"), we're all in this together and, if we don't actually recognise this, it will be taken away from everyone.

The problem isn't other boaters, of whatever kind, it's the people who can pull the plug.

When you're stood 70' behind your stem post, what else are you supposed to do? Send scouts on ahead, perhaps.

Centre or front steering position, anyone?

Yes, very interesting, but still doesn't adress the point I make that HERE on THIS FORUM this discussion is shouted down by one side, and "marina moorer" has become a term of abuse born of ignorance and predjudice.

Yes, very interesting, but still doesn't adress the point I make that HERE on THIS FORUM this discussion is shouted down by one side, and "marina moorer" has become a term of abuse born of ignorance and predjudice.

CCers say exactly the same thing.

Hirers are criticised for their inexperience, no matter how many decades they've been hiring.

There have actually been active campaigns to make a list of boats, who, for whatever reason, don't display their discs, and publish it on the web.

Timesharers get slagged off for just existing.

People with working boats are criticised for wearing a neckerchief.

I've been (wrongly) accused of criticising washer-joshers with their stick on rivets and my "fake dutch barge" comments are taken wildly out of context.

Chill out! Every faction has its critics. The one you're in just feels like a special case, because you're in it.

Spooky. The grass cutter just came pased, twice.

Can't moan now. Apart from all the grass on the boat (so glad it wasn't the side I paintd yesterday!).

Just get shot of the unlicensed ones, the rest will sort em selves out eventually.

Spooky. The grass cutter just came pased, twice.

Can't moan now. Apart from all the grass on the boat (so glad it wasn't the side I paintd yesterday!).

Just get shot of the unlicensed ones, the rest will sort em selves out eventually.

The way things are going, the unlicensed ones may be the only ones left.

Yes, if true that is very sad and entirely unnecessary. We went to considerable lengths to buy a boat that we felt suited us but we also attract terms of abuse. Although I often feel that the hostility we get from those who call us 'washer joshers' is a reflection of their jealousy and/or intolerance of individuality rather than an indication of ignorance and prejudice. :lol: