Solar Panel Connections

Smelly

Featured Posts

Has anyone got any ideas what to do with the excess energy from a solar panel?

I know I'm being a bit optimistic thinking that my 180W panel will give much excess, but it might at times and I'm at a loss to know what to do with it.

Two ideas are to dump it in a battery, although with no charge control to said battery it migh get overcharged which is bad, I've also thought whether I can get a 12V immersion so I can dump the energy into the hot water system.

My fag packet calculations note I'll get about 50% of my domestic use so do I even need to connect it up? I've got 4x110A lead acid that'll take a lot of solar to charge.

Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated.

I know I'm being a bit optimistic thinking that my 180W panel will give much excess, but it might at times and I'm at a loss to know what to do with it.

Two ideas are to dump it in a battery, although with no charge control to said battery it migh get overcharged which is bad, I've also thought whether I can get a 12V immersion so I can dump the energy into the hot water system.

My fag packet calculations note I'll get about 50% of my domestic use so do I even need to connect it up? I've got 4x110A lead acid that'll take a lot of solar to charge.

You can get a charge regulator to ensure the battery does not over-charge. CPC is a truly excellent supplier of electronic products. see http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.j...equestid=356629

Or you could use it to power a Tazer which you stick up the trouser legs of Gordon, who is well experienced in over-charging. Don't let him find this forum, or we will all be wanting to fit engines to take us to foreign climes.

Two ideas are to dump it in a battery,

Think about what you just said there.

You're using a solar panel to charge batteries up, and then if there is any excess you're thinking about charging a battery up with it?

Why not just increase the size of the battery bank? It amounts to the same thing. It's not the correct soloution. You still have the problem of what to do when (if) they're full.

I've also thought whether I can get a 12V immersion so I can dump the energy into the hot water system.

That's the usual solution.

I do love an optimist :lol:

Gibbo

I do love an optimist :lol:

Gibbo

You didn't say that when I was optimistically putting my inverter in my engine 'ole :lol:

Do you know any suppliers of a 12v immersion? It does seem like a waste and on those rare times that the batteries are full I'd be worried about damaging my panel.

I spose I'll google the immersion later.

I'm going to expand a little bit by means of another edit. My charge controller is a 4 stage job so I believe, depending, as ever on the charge state of my batteries. I don't expect they'll be full much, but it is conceivable that there'll be times when the sun's out and the batteries are either healthy or carrying a surface voltage and as such the current off the panel won't be doing much. it could well be wasting as much as 15A on a sunny day.

I don't think running this through a domestic immersion would be a good idea as the 240 units can only deal with 4A or so (or certainly the 1K unit of my cal') Furthermore, I've two cal's but only one tank an immersion so far, so I've space for another that's a bit away from the engine coolant's heat. it would all seem to make sense, although I can detect a lotta work in cabling it all in. this might be a rod for my back but what the heck!

Edited by Smelly

Hi,

A 12V immersion is a bit optimistic, a 12V travel kettle for making tea might be better :lol:

If the batts are fully charged early in the day and it's going to be sunny, I'd just do some energy intensive stuff like hoovering, running the washing machine, if it's hot weather freeze some ice for drinks, chill some beers, run a big fan, stuff like that.

cheers,

Pete.

I keep the fridge switched on low at all times that seems to take care of any worries about overcharging, i did use a charge limiter for the panels at one time but it was unreliable and of little real use when running, but then again I only have 2 x 60watt panels

Paul

Fair to say that the fridge will probably limit the charging, we'll see...

I've been tempted to try and put a fan on the excess energy behind the fridge. The most likely time for a problem would be when we're running and then the hot pipes to the calorifier trouble the fridge as they run behind it (I know, I know...)

Pete, I know an "immersion" is optimistic but it's just an energy dump really so even if it's contribution is minimal at least I'm dumping the spare energy.

Fair to say that the fridge will probably limit the charging, we'll see...

I've been tempted to try and put a fan on the excess energy behind the fridge. The most likely time for a problem would be when we're running and then the hot pipes to the calorifier trouble the fridge as they run behind it (I know, I know...)

Pete, I know an "immersion" is optimistic but it's just an energy dump really so even if it's contribution is minimal at least I'm dumping the spare energy.

Yes - easy ways are to run the fridge cooler and the immersion hotter, however the spare 15Amps of which only 4 would be taken by the immersion is not an accurate comment (!) as the 4amps is at 230 Volts and the 15 amps is at 12 volts.

I assume you are catering for the event of surplus energy if unattended for 2 weeks in the sunny summer ? - dump into a couple of 60 watt light bulbs ? Cover up the panel with a blanket ?

Nick

We're going for a lot of solar, and we've been disgussing this LOL

Excess output is likely on hot days, we already have 12 volt cooling fans on the boat, so they can go on for a start. Turn the fridge up full then the fridge will be cooler and need less power through the night, assuming you remember to turn it back down. Do the washing, we have a smaller tabletop washing machine uses moderate 240 volt power. Do the hoovering, turn the music up cool off with the fans with a cold beer LOL

Living on a boat you do tend to adapt to nature, like going to bed earlier and getting up earlier with the light. using heavy draw power eaquipment whilst cruising, cleaning your boat when it's raining. It's no different you would just adapt and optimise the output your solar panels give you. We have 9 batteries but are thinking of 500 watts of solar, having too much power at times is better than not having enough IMO