Washing machine or not ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

The new-build spec needs to be finalised soon as it will be starting in November and I am still in a dilemna about whether to install a washing mashine or not.... the boat is to be a narrowboat of approx 62 feet..

On the plus side it is dead handy to be able to do a wash under way, without having to either store a week or two's clean (initially) and dirty (as time progresses) clothes for two or four people ( teenage kids) whilst under way... so saving on storage for all those clothes....

On the minus side there is the space set aside for the machine, and a significantly more expensive electrical installation apart from the cost of the machine and the water tank to supply it.. and then the finding of a washetaria and the walk ( in all weathers) to it, for which I have no feel how frequently they appear and how much of a hassle it is..

We aim to have periods of at least a week and hopefully often a fortnight on the boat, and at all times of the year.

So if anyone can offer their feelings as to what they have found, if they wished they had installed, or if it's actually not too much of a hassle to do a "wash-run" once or twice a week to a convenient place nearby ? Is there a directory / listing of places to get the washing done ?

Thanks,

Nick

I wouldnt be without ours - if your cruising water and power is no problem - an inverter capable of looking after the machines needs is not to expensive - space on a 62ft boat should be fine - go for it Cheers Bill and Denise nb undulgence

Edited by curzons246

For the amount of water it would use and only cruising for a couple of weeks at a time I wouldn't bother. I live on mine and even if I had the space I wouldn't bother.

I'm sure someone on the Aylesbury Arm puts together a list of all laundrettes nearby to the canal network and which gets updated every year. I think it's about £8 for it? I'm sure someone here will know where to find the address for the lovely list.

I vote for more storage space rather than using space up with equipment.

Sarah

see if i got for another narrowboat will be trying to find one with a washing machine or with a space for one. it can be a pain going to do the washing sometimes in all sorts of weather, i know its a luxury but when i had my old boat and i stayed in a marina i was quite jealous when i saw peoples washing hanging out on there boat and i was lugging a big bag of washing about.

Remember these places arnt cheap either in terms of washing and drying, however it is sometimes nice to relax and read a book while the washing is being done at a laundrette.

Ross

Have you come across the 'first mate's guides' - I don't have any myself, but I believe they cover the location of such things as launderettes.

As a compromise, have you considered a small (portable) machine for the boat, and then find a laundrette if you have a lot o do. Something like these http://www.thecanalshopwhilton.co.uk/html/...g_machines.html

Peter

I don't think you could compile a list for the south Oxford canal area, as I don't think there are any anymore, except for Summertown, (if its still there) The others have all closed down

There's still one up the Botley Road in Oxford. Moor just above Osney lock and walk up the road (out of Oxford) from Osney bridge.

Id go for a washing machine, laundrettes seem to be few and far between now, in a few years could you be cruising for longer periods? I know b.w are putting more in now but they are expensive.

Thanks to all... all point / comments noted... Even with a machine, if we happened to moor up next to a laundrette, I think we would use it just to save the time needed to replenish the charge expended on a cycle...

However, a machine that can have hot fill heated by non-electric means seems to be a considerable advantage.

I know that the heating elements can be disconnected to save it heating by electricity, but any recommendations as to which machines lend themselves to this and have hot / cold fill ? We have Bosch machines at home ( well, only two) and have been impressed...

Nick

(coming close to spec time !! ;) )

A couple of years ago I had a very shallow depth (34cm) but otherwise normal size washing machine on order. It was coming from Italy through a supplier in the UK but unfortunately the machine was apparently withdrawn from production before I could get it. If this has come back on the market its a good bet for saving space - and I want one!! Other issue for machines that I didn't know when having new inverter installed was that quasi sine wave inverters and most modern washing machines don't get along. But if I had some space I'd definitely have a machine - can be a very long cycle ride with heavy trailer to some launderettes....

I'd say to plan in the space now for one, even if you don't actually get one installed yet - then you can see over the first year or so whether you actually do want one or you'd rather have the extra storage.

Have you come across the 'first mate's guides' - I don't have any myself, but I believe they cover the location of such things as launderettes.

As a compromise, have you considered a small (portable) machine for the boat, and then find a laundrette if you have a lot o do. Something like these http://www.thecanalshopwhilton.co.uk/html/...g_machines.html

Peter

Has anyone used these, esp the twin tub? I've seen them but they look a bit flimsy and like they might be harder work than handwashing....