Tugmans Hitch

NB Willawaw

Featured Posts

We got talking to an owner of another boat today whilst waiting to enter a lock.

She commented on the knot that I tied to our stern dolly when we moored and said that she hadn't seen it before. I explained that I was taught it at a community boat skippers (CCBM) course that I did and from memory, believed it was called a "Tugmans Hitch".

When we were taught it, the old instructor had mentioned that it was an old working boat friction knot which was a "cure all" for many applications and although it was primarily used to slow or stop horse drawn boats, could also be used for mooring, towing, etc.

I showed her how to tie the knot as she tended to just do lots of round turns to moor.

Later, I was looking in knot books onboard and some on-line reference sites, but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

Does it have an alternative name that it is better known for ?

Edited by NB Willawaw

We got talking to an owner of another boat today whilst waiting to enter a lock.

She commented on the knot that I tied to our stern dolly when we moored and said that she hadn't seen it before. I explained that I was taught it at a community boat skippers (CCBM) course that I did and from memory, believed it was called a "Tugmans Hitch". 

When we were taught it, the old instructor had mentioned that it was an old working boat friction knot which was a "cure all" for many applications and although it was primarily used to slow or stop horse drawn boats, could also be used for mooring, towing, etc.

I showed her how to tie the knot as she tended to just do lots of round turns to moor.

Later, I was looking in knot books onboard and some on-line reference sites, but couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

Does it have an alternative name that it is better known for ?

Yes, it's also called a lightermans hitch. Used to make barges fast under tow and also at the tug end onto a hook. The beauty of the hitch is that it can be let go under load and yet it holds very well. It is an ideal knot to make fast to any single mooring point such as a dolly, a lockside single bollard etc. It is far superior to a clove hitch for that purpose which should never be used to make a boat fast and yet which seems to be taught by many instructors.

Regards

Howard Anguish

I remember the captain of our boat in the 1960's using a slip hitch. He was a former Working Boatman, but I cannot remember him giving the hitch a name. I think it was very similar, if not identical, to a lorryman's hitch which used to be used by lorry drivers to secure the ropes holding Tarpaulins over a load.

Sorry Amicus, no, I do not recognise the photograph as the Tugmans or Lightermans Hitch.

If anybody can find a knot-tying resource on the Internet which describes this knot and how to tie it, I would be grateful for the link.

Ahh, yes! I remember this knot - takes me a back a few years :D

I was told how to tie this knot by a very experienced boater, when I crewed on a leeds liverpool longboat. Like David, he never gave it a name but I'm sure I can remember it being referred to as a Lightermans Hitch once upon a time.

Sorry Amicus, no, I do not recognise the photograph as the Tugmans or Lightermans Hitch.

If anybody can find a knot-tying resource on the Internet which describes this knot and how to tie it, I would be grateful for the link.

I found this one...

http://www.seanavigate.com/coastal%20skipp...rse/module6.htm

sorry, don't know how to make it clickable.

Yes the Boatmans Hitch is the same thing.

Well done DaveR for finding an illustration - bu**ered if I would be able to tie it from scratch using that drawing or description though !!

I usually just do ONE loop over and then a couple of half hitches to ensure it stays tight.

I use the Tugman's/Lighterman's/Boatman's Hitch/Knot if I have to use a mooring spike without an eye. When you pull the spike out in the morning, the rope drops off and the knot falls apart. Brilliant!

I think what you are discussing is the knot I was taught in my farming days as a timber hitch - apparently its origins stem from the Canadian outbacks where loggers use it to secure down tight loads of timber. Used very commonly on farm trailers as it's the only knot that will keep a load of straw bales secure!