New Sub Area "Places To Visit" under "Holidays"

Chris J W

Featured Posts

Was just trying to find somewhere 'suitable' to post about recommending Shugbourgh Hall (T&M, Great Haywood) as a place to visit.

It's not really a "General Boating", and could get 'lost' in the "Holidays" section, so I'd like to suggest ....

• New Sub Area under "Waterways Holidays" called "Places To Visit" (possibly even sub-divided by Canal?)
  • Each thread to be entitled with the Canal, Nearest City/Town/Village, Lock or Bridge No.
  • A paragraph or two saying why you recommend it.
  • Website links as appropiate.
  • Moderated to ensure thread title is consistent.

Any thoughts?

(Or have I missed a suitable area completely and now look a complete arse?)

Was just trying to find somewhere 'suitable' to post about recommending Shugbourgh Hall (T&M, Great Haywood) as a place to visit.

It's not really a "General Boating", and could get 'lost' in the "Holidays" section, so I'd like to suggest ....

• New Sub Area under "Waterways Holidays" called "Places To Visit" (possibly even sub-divided by Canal?)
  • Each thread to be entitled with the Canal, Nearest City/Town/Village, Lock or Bridge No.

Any thoughts?

A wonderful idea!

Sounds good to me. It would be a lot of work to sub-divide by canal, but region would probably be better - ie, North West, North East, Midlands, South West, South East etc.

As for 'What's On' - the events forum is normally used for this, unless you were thinking of something different?

Jon

Nice idea overall, Chris - not least because I agree with you about Shugborough.

But as to order, what if Nicholson is going in the wrong direction? (Think about it...)

Eh? There's either a very subtle joke there, or I've missed something?

What I meant by "order" (perhaps, in hindsite, the wrong word) was, for instance,

Area 1: Grand Union, Oxford and SE

Area 2: Severn, Avon, and Brum

Area 3: Brum and Heart Of England

etc

Eh? There's either a very subtle joke there, or I've missed something?

Sorry Chris - thought you meant order of progression along the canal eg from Fradley to Stone. If you were going south the attractions would be in the wrong order. Put it down to a surfeit of Marstons' excellent product.

Glad Jon is seeing to it - is it a 'contributions invited' jobbie?

Ian

Sorry Chris - thought you meant order of progression along the canal eg from Fradley to Stone. If you were going south the attractions would be in the wrong order. Put it down to a surfeit of Marstons' excellent product.

Glad Jon is seeing to it - is it a 'contributions invited' jobbie?

Ian

Ah! I see what you mean now! :lol: (You could always turn the map upside down ...?) (hmmmm ... Marstons Oyster Stout ... luvley!)

Thanks, Jon! I'll start to write my mini-review of Shugborugh Hall.

Hmm, slight hitch, I can't find my only Nicholsons. I used to by Pearsons as I found it more interesting for general reading. Please could someone provide a list of the books for me to work from?

Many thanks,

Jon

1. Grand Union, Oxford and the South East

2. Severn, Avon and Birmingham

3. Birmingham and the Heart Of England

4. Four Counties and The Welsh Canals

5. North West and The Pennines

6. Nottingham, York and the North East

7. River Thames and the Southern Waterways

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any thoughts?

good to see you back . bob