On the move

Richard Bustens

Featured Posts

Hi all

We have just moored up about 30 mins from fradley junction.

Everything ok but did not get away till noon

My eyes have packed in through looking into the distance for to long hope they settle down for tomorow , plan to get going at 6 am to get through fradley before everyone wakes up

Sunday 7pm got to coven i have done 11 hrs today and am seeing double

so had to stop , intend to start at 7 tomorow if i can see properley

There are somthing called the narrows and they are spost to be shallow, mnot sure what to make of this as we have been bottoming some of the way,

Should be at daves boat sometime tomorow.

Sunday 7pm got to coven

<snip>

There are somthing called the narrows and they are spost to be shallow, mnot sure what to make of this as we have been bottoming some of the way,

I've never had a problem with the depth through the Narrows - just the occasional novice(?) who doesn't look ahead. There are a couple of passing places - and if you leave early you should be safe.

Met Richard and his better half tonight at Norbury. They got there about 4.30 ish just before the most horrendous downpour you'd ever seen. Of course I was on my boat navigating between moored boats and got completely soaked.

I had not realised the extent of Richards journey until I spoke with him today.

A real baptism of fire.

Not only a new, and very, very impressive (Jealous indeed), 70 foot tug style narrow boat to move from whence it was built to Audlem some 70 odd miles and a shed load of locks in just four days.

But, first time ever on a moving narrow boat. Yep, never even been on a moving narrow boat before! Amazing! 70 foot mother of a boat!

And the guys doing good, really good, should have made the Anchor Inn at High Offey this evening. Not too far to Audlem from there.

Richards has had a problem with his sight. It appears the exhaust stack is in the line of sight and one eye seems to focus on the exhaust and the other into the distance he is travelling. So after a period of time his eyes start to see double. Only after a stop and a sustained period of normal vision does it return to normal. Is this something he will get used to? Is this common?

Very nice people by the way, and good to meet them.

Edited by Yamanx

Richard - I think you should get down the opticians double quick! Get those eyes checked out. But don't tell 'em you spend a lot of time in a virtual pub. Good luck with the boat - it sounds like a real baptism of fire. And I'm........ JEALOUS

Hi all ime back 84 miles and i think 52 locks (not as it says in the canal planer 92 locks ) or i have lost count.

All went smoothly except for tyral i think that is how it is spelt 5 locks and the 4 th i was blasted by the out spill wash onto the right side and stuck solid evencily got off with help to go aground on the left side and along came a boater and said spose it is to late to tell you there is a big rock there,

Not to be outdone i did it again on the fifth, after that i learnt how to not do it again.

filled up with fuel just before i got back and the 5 days and i think 45 hrs used 35.4 ltr

Edited by Richard Bustens

Yes Bernie there the ones.

im'e so big and heavy it takes a long time to start gathering speed and stopping once it starts to go it goes and as yet i can not stop it

I have worked out if i put the throttle on high in the lock it puls water in under the boat as the frount rises then the rest of the boat does, i was shocked the first time it did that as i thought the lock was filling again with the doors open.

Yes Bernie there the ones.

im'e so big and heavy it takes a long time to start gathering speed and stopping once it starts to go it goes and as yet i can not stop it

I have worked out if i put the throttle on high in the lock it puls water in under the boat as the frount rises then the rest of the boat does, i was shocked the first time it did that as i thought the lock was filling again with the doors open.

Didn't quite get that?

Everyone else opens the throttle and away they go .

I open it and 20 secs later i go, also on stopping i need more distance than most especially if there is not much water under me.

When in a lock and in gear nothing happens till i put on a lot of revs then the front of the boat lifts up followed by the rear and then we go.

As for stopping it takes a lot of notice as the man in the junction at fradley will testify . lol

I think you are talking about Tyrley Locks Richard and they can be a b****r if you're not careful and don't know them. Welcome back and glad you had a fairly uneventful trip.

Tyrley Locks are some of the most beautifully set in that wooded cutting - it makes for glorious hues of light and a wonderful woodland smell but mind the ledges underwater!

The flight was recently drained for repair and the local Shropshire Union Canal Society has a news item on its website that illustrates why we run aground near the towpath.

gardencoaster

Hi John

No it goes into gear as soon as i select it and water gushes out the back but it is so big and deep it takes some time to get momentum up.

Tick over is about 2 mph and when it has got up to that the water coming from the back is just a gentle stream but untill it reaches its optimun speed for the reve it churnes out at a rate of knots.

Boat is 70' with a Gardner lw2 and a Hydrolic 360 G/box driving a 24x 24 prop drawing 2'9'' at the rear but i have trimed it 9'' higher at the bows for now....

I think she is about 25 tons

Edited by Richard Bustens

Doesn't sound like there's anything wrong there Richard.

Just a slow revving monster which has to get 70ft of boat moving. You could always replace the Gardner and put a 'wasp' in its place :P

( Wasp - high revving 4 cylinder engine )

Slow revvers are great aren't they :P

I've got a single cylinder Sabb in mine, 10hp and although it takes slightly longer to get going, it sure flies along at very few rpm. It does take slightly longer to stop than it would with a modern engine but I'm more than happy to put up with that... you can't beat the simplicity and reliability of the older engines.