Boating in the wind.

Brummage

Featured Posts

We are hoping to take our boat up the Great Ouse at the weekend and lock through from Denver to Salters Lode. The forecast is for 21mph wind with possible gusts of up to 30mph.

There's little danger of bumping into other boats as there aren't that many on the river and it's pretty wide. My only concern is manouvering into the locks.

I might be being over cautious, but should I think about leaving it for quieter conditions?

Edited to add - We have a 45ft Narrowboat

Edited by Brummage

We are hoping to take our boat up the Great Ouse at the weekend and lock through from Denver to Salters Lode. The forecast is for 21mph wind with possible gusts of up to 30mph.

There's little danger of bumping into other boats as there aren't that many on the river and it's pretty wide. My only concern is manouvering into the locks.

I might be being over cautious, but should I think about leaving it for quieter conditions?

do it, then think about it.

Brummage - Let us know how it goes pls mate. We are soon to get our NB and will be bringing from the GU to the Middle Levels via the Nene. Although we have no plans to tackle the Ouse this summer it could be an option and it will certainly mean going that way for us. Don't know if you have seen the plans for the new proposed waterways in the area but a link to avoid that area is a definite possibility. :huh:

It's always a good idea to be flexible about moving rather than a definate plan on a fixed date.

Play it by ear and see how it goes.

Talk to the lockies, they should be able to advise if it is do-able.

Cheers

Bill

I've been caught out a few times in the wind recently

The biggest problem i've had is stepping off with a rope and expecting to stop the boat,

only for the wind to catch it and me having to leap back on before running out of rope!

I've since learnt to bring the boat to a stop before getting off!

Take you're time and enjoy yourself

Wind's not a mystery, knowing where its coming from when you're underway helps you to allow for it, might mean you move slightly crabwise down the cut, and when stepping off assume you'll get pushed off or on by the wind, and plan accordingly. If its off the bank you need to get the rope round a bollard quick, you'll not stop the Nb being blown off by just standing there holding a rope. Best to have a few helpers so you can get a fore and aft line off quickly while the helmsman stays on the boat. When moving between buildings or hills you might be sheltered for a while, and then catch a blast, just be ready for it. Main problem is you get cold with the wind chill. We've been cruising up in the Dale's around Skipton this week, and its been very gusty and fresh, but no problems.

If the wind is blowing downstream at the speed you mention (from Denver) it could be a bit of a challenge! Particularly the tight turning into Salter's Lode. You'll also need to factor in the tide. If the tide's ebbing & the wind's taking you with it you may be better to go past, turn round & approach it from down-stream. Otherwise, from experience, knowing when to turn in will be a bit of a lottery & you either find yourself aground on the nearside entrance to Salter's lode or giving the stake on the opposite side a good clout as you hit it broadside on! However the lock-keepers are very helpfull & hopefully the Salter's Lode locky will guide you in OK - but it should be fun to watch - what time are planning it!? :huh::)

easier with a bow thruster :huh::):):D

incoming.............

Nay lad,

what ya need is a centre spring......come into the side, secure your centre spring to the bollard of other suitable mooring point, and then all you do is drive forward onto the spring which will hold you onto the bank or pontoon.

used this method everytime when mooring to Thunderbolt pier at Chatham, sometimes with a 2knt tide running....mind you, ive not seen many narrow boats with centre cleats on the gunwhales

If the wind is blowing downstream at the speed you mention (from Denver) it could be a bit of a challenge! Particularly the tight turning into Salter's Lode. You'll also need to factor in the tide. If the tide's ebbing & the wind's taking you with it you may be better to go past, turn round & approach it from down-stream. Otherwise, from experience, knowing when to turn in will be a bit of a lottery & you either find yourself aground on the nearside entrance to Salter's lode or giving the stake on the opposite side a good clout as you hit it broadside on! However the lock-keepers are very helpfull & hopefully the Salter's Lode locky will guide you in OK - but it should be fun to watch - what time are planning it!? :D:wub:

We managed it okay in the end. The wind was blowing a Force 5 and it was a bit tricky as the turn into Salters Lode is at 45 degrees back on yourself, but made it without making to much of a spectacle of ourselves! :)

Have to say that I wonder how people get on turning into Limehouse Basin whent the Thames is in Ebb and there's a westerly blowing. :lol: