Cleaning old copper

pwl

Featured Posts

Just bought a set of old "real" scales from a charity shop to add to the boat. The scale pan is copper but was totally black. I have had several attempts with Brasso and brown sauce to clean it up but I have reached the point where some deposits dont want to move. Anyone have any ideas? Abrasives are not an option B) .

P

Just bought a set of old "real" scales from a charity shop to add to the boat. The scale pan is copper but was totally black. I have had several attempts with Brasso and brown sauce to clean it up but I have reached the point where some deposits dont want to move. Anyone have any ideas? Abrasives are not an option B) .

P

cocacola?

cocacola?
Not a bad idea. Rots teeth well.
Bartenders Friend, then Brasso.
Bartenders friend is quite abrasive. [Thats what I used to get stared]
soak it in vinegar
Tried it. Brown sauce worked better - makes you think about what you put on chips. B) P

Try 'Shiny Sinks' it is available from good hardware shops and better class supermarkets like Waitrose and Sainsbury. It is marketed as a product for cleaning stainless steel sinks but on the recommendation of a couple of experienced boaters that we met at Braunston last year, we now use it on all our external copper and brass. It is water soluble - so quicker and better for the environment than Brasso.

Try 'Shiny Sinks' it is available from good hardware shops and better class supermarkets like Waitrose and Sainsbury. It is marketed as a product for cleaning stainless steel sinks but on the recommendation of a couple of experienced boaters that we met at Braunston last year, we now use it on all our external copper and brass. It is water soluble - so quicker and better for the environment than Brasso.

I will keep an eye out for it. Thanks. Tried Leanon and salt. Brought the clean bit up nicely but not a lot of impact on the remaining tarnish. I dont think this can have been cleaned in years.

P

• 2 weeks later...