Stupid Questions

Chickadee

Featured Posts

Zander are very tasty and it's against the law to put them back.

Zander may be tasty but I dont know of any law that states it is illegal to put them back . Could anyone shead some light as to where I can find this legislation ?

interesting... so maybe fish out of the canal if your feeling brave. I eat food from the kitchen where my housemate has been cooking it cant get much worse than that!

Saw Hugh FW eating carp but only after it had been swiming in spring water for a while.

As for boats i think its going to depend on alot of things at the moment, just waiting for another boat filled day off where i dont have to do something else instead.

oh you mean the other bedroom with the red curtains and red lighting plus semi clad "ladies"that are allways watching the trafic passing bye B):wacko:

that'll be it, just what i was looking for in my new boat! :P

Is there anywhere where there are a few marinas selling NBs near each other? south midlands or oxford way are the easyest for us to get to.

I have a rare day put aside for looking at boats and want to make the most of it.

Zander may be tasty but I dont know of any law that states it is illegal to put them back . Could anyone shead some light as to where I can find this legislation ?

Statutory Instrument 1998 No. 2409

The Prohibition of Keeping or Release of Live Fish (Specified Species) Order 1998

Clicky

I thought there was a 2003 amendment but I can only find one relevant to Wales.

If you catch them you can't take them home to put in your pond or put them back.

that'll be it, just what i was looking for in my new boat! :)

Is there anywhere where there are a few marinas selling NBs near each other? south midlands or oxford way are the easyest for us to get to.

I have a rare day put aside for looking at boats and want to make the most of it.

whilton marina plenty of boats and theres a few others within short driving distance

Statutory Instrument 1998 No. 2409

The Prohibition of Keeping or Release of Live Fish (Specified Species) Order 1998

Clicky

I thought there was a 2003 amendment but I can only find one relevant to Wales.

If you catch them you can't take them home to put in your pond or put them back.

Thanks Carl,

For a moment I thought they had bought in legislation similar to Signal crayfish which cannot be returned to the water no matter what.

No if anyone catches zander that they do not wish to eat ,please return them alive. They are an established spieces in a lot of areas and provide good sport to those who wish to target them. If BW would stop there attempts to exterminate them they will settle down in numbers and co exist with all the other spiecies. This has been proved time and time again. After all they have been established in some waters over here for over 100 years to no detrimental effect, Woburn House for example.

Thanks Carl,

For a moment I thought they had bought in legislation similar to Signal crayfish which cannot be returned to the water no matter what.

No if anyone catches zander that they do not wish to eat ,please return them alive. They are an established spieces in a lot of areas and provide good sport to those who wish to target them. If BW would stop there attempts to exterminate them they will settle down in numbers and co exist with all the other spiecies. This has been proved time and time again. After all they have been established in some waters over here for over 100 years to no detrimental effect, Woburn House for example.

Yes, I agree. There doesn't seem to be a great reduction in native fish around Braunston, and the electro-fishing activity doesn't seem to affect the zander population, either.

I think most, successful, species find their level and maintain it, whether we attempt to slaughter them, or not.

I was told, by a bailiff, though, that I broke the law when I returned a couple of zander that the electo-fishermen had left for me.

So if you accidentally get a signal crayfish out what are you supposed to do with it? Crush it? Leave it to dry out?

My statement that you cannot return Signal crayfish no matter what ,is not entirely correct.

Having just spoken to the EA the situation still has a lot of grey areas. If you catch one you cannot take it away dead or alive to eat or use as bait ,you would have to apply for a license. The reasoning behind this is to try and stop the spread of the speicies to areas that are not affected. Should you accidentally catch one then contary to what I said ,you could return it alive, no one will force you to kill it. However if you return it alive you have just returned a non native spiecies which is illegal.The fact you caught it does not mean it should have been there in the first place. Should you wish to kill it then you can but positive identification is imperative because should you kill one of the native white clawed crayfish which is a protected spiecies you will be prosecuted and so it goes on. Any the wiser ?

Personaly I would take Carls advice.

And no I don't know how to spell speicies,spieceiiiieeees.

The licence for the boat I am buying runs out in May. When is the best time to apply for a new one? Just before it runs out or when we take ownership of the boat? Also is this the best time to change the name of the boat if we decide to do so? What else would we need to do to change the name?

Thanks

The licence for the boat I am buying runs out in May. When is the best time to apply for a new one? Just before it runs out or when we take ownership of the boat? Also is this the best time to change the name of the boat if we decide to do so? What else would we need to do to change the name?

Thanks

Tell BW you've bought the boat and they'll send you a renewal notice, when it's due (or six month's later, it depends on their mood).

Search "renaming ceremonies" for an answer to your second question, though bear in mind regional variations regarding whether it's a goat or a virgin you must sacrifice.

Tell BW you've bought the boat and they'll send you a renewal notice, when it's due (or six month's later, it depends on their mood).

Search "renaming ceremonies" for an answer to your second question, though bear in mind regional variations regarding whether it's a goat or a virgin you must sacrifice.

go for the goat at least you can find them :o

My grandad is part of the worcestershire goat society so that wont be a problem.

Everyone none boaty keeps telling me i shouldnt rename it.

Canal people were a lot less superstitious that sailors; if you sail the sea, it's bad luck to rename your boat. And your boat is a "she". If you crawl the ditches, it's not a problem to rename the boat, and the boat is an "it". Seems that most people know about the whole "traditions of the sea" thing, and think that all boats are the same...

OK I have so many questions that pop into my head everday. I could fill this forum starting thread after thread for them so I thought i would put them all in one place.

Maybe if any other 'noobs' have any questions they would like to ask they could put them here too. I'd like to think that all you seasoned pros would be nice and not to flipant in your answers. :D

I've been thinking about so much recently so heres a few to start...

Can you eat fish out of the canal?

If a tree is down is it fair game?

Is there any boat show rooms kind of thing for new boats or is getting one built the only way?

Why do so many boats seem to catch on fire and what can be done to avoid this?

I think thats it for now, i'm sure i'll be back soon with more!

Please be nice! ;)

[/quot

at my mooring in pointon agirl died on her boat her boyfriend got out but sadly she didn't make it

after the fire brigade had it inspected it was due to the squirral stove being fitted wrong so i think you just have to be careful

just like you do in a house :D tilly

• 3 months later...

I have a really daft question.

When I went to greece we weren't allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet because the drainage system was so poor.

What about if you live on a boat? Does it just fill the tank up quicker or are there other problems?

Sorry if that sounded totally stupid, but hey, that's what this thread is for right? :lol:

I have a really daft question.

When I went to greece we weren't allowed to flush toilet paper down the toilet because the drainage system was so poor.

What about if you live on a boat? Does it just fill the tank up quicker or are there other problems?

Sorry if that sounded totally stupid, but hey, that's what this thread is for right? :lol:

I have a bin in the bathroom for toilet paper. If it's number twos (well you did ask!) the paper goes in the loo (we've a cassette loo). I use the cheapest loo paper you can buy, the thin rubbish stuff breaks down quicker and doesn't block the cassette up like the posh stuff does. If you use an enzyme/ bio type chemical for your loo (as opposed to a poo pickling blue formaldehyde chemical), it will start to digest the waste so it will be mostly liquid that you end up emptying.

I have a bin in the bathroom for toilet paper. If it's number twos (well you did ask!) the paper goes in the loo (we've a cassette loo). I use the cheapest loo paper you can buy, the thin rubbish stuff breaks down quicker and doesn't block the cassette up like the posh stuff does. If you use an enzyme/ bio type chemical for your loo (as opposed to a poo pickling blue formaldehyde chemical), it will start to digest the waste so it will be mostly liquid that you end up emptying.

People have told us a lot of different things about pump outs/cassettes, and so far we're wanting a cassette. But then again the cheap toilet paper in the public toilets can be shiny and I'm not sure I'd want that. Is the enzyme/bio type chemical thing more expensive than the blue?

People have told us a lot of different things about pump outs/cassettes, and so far we're wanting a cassette. But then again the cheap toilet paper in the public toilets can be shiny and I'm not sure I'd want that. Is the enzyme/bio type chemical thing more expensive than the blue?

The stuff I buy is Fenwicks top and tail from Halfords at £7.99, I think for the size of the container, it's good value. By cheap toilet paper, I mean Tesco Value or the stuff you get from the £1 shop, not the tracing paper /Izal stuff. The cheap stuff is thin and goes to nothing in the loo.

The stuff I buy is Fenwicks top and tail from Halfords at £7.99, I think for the size of the container, it's good value. By cheap toilet paper, I mean Tesco Value or the stuff you get from the £1 shop, not the tracing paper /Izal stuff. The cheap stuff is thin and goes to nothing in the loo.

99p store it is :lol:

I think I'd prefer to use the bio stuff, reckon its more environmentally friendly.

Do pump outs smell worse?