Fire caused by excessive lint in tumble drier

bjornunda

Featured Posts

On a slightly different but related topic, a fireman on a boat at my mooring warned me about the danger of leaving my washing machine running while I'm not on board. He told me he's attended fires where clothes got out of the drum and wrapped themselves around the the mechanism, jamming the drum and causing the motor to overheat.

Thats made me sit up and look - will make sure that its never left unattended aswell

I know plenty of householders that set them going on cheap rate electricity whilst they sleep. And we all leave the fridge/freezer running at night. An elderly neighbour of ours died when the fridge caused a fire overnight....

BTW, who would name their boat after a virginal infection..... :wub:

I am sure Bazza will confirm this at some point but I was told some years ago by a fire fighter I used to know that the build up of lint on the filter in a tumble dryer is a common cause of fires in the home.

Too many people tend to overlook the everyday items as being potential hazards and its good to get a reminder. if this acts as a wake up call and stops a fire from happening then that's a job well done.

"excessive lint in tumble drier" did they not read the manual or were they just lazy. Another good reason why white goods dont belong on boats. I am not surprised there is quite a few firemen living onboard many public sector workers, nurses fireman etc can not afford to get on the property ladder especially in London.

I am sure Bazza will confirm this at some point but I was told some years ago by a fire fighter I used to know that the build up of lint on the filter in a tumble dryer is a common cause of fires in the home.

It happens but I wouldn't say it is common

It's no different in a house.... Fire will not discriminate!

It's HOW you use them not where.

Fair point Phonenix but most houses dont need to convert 12V to 240V. I would much rather run a washing machine from a genny than invert the power if I had too.

"excessive lint in tumble drier" did they not read the manual or were they just lazy. Another good reason why white goods dont belong on boats. I am not surprised there is quite a few firemen living onboard many public sector workers, nurses fireman etc can not afford to get on the property ladder especially in London.

Or even fell off it due to silly prices (property ladder that is as opposed to fireperson's ladder) like a lot of ordinary folk. D