Fitting a gas hob

starman

Featured Posts

I want to install a new gas hob on my boat. Many domestic hobs seem to be cheaper than 'boat' hobs and come with flame failure devices as standard and lpg jets. Snag for me is that many also have 240v ignition. Can I disconnect this and light the burners manually? Is anyone aware of any other snags in simply going to Ikea and buying a cheap hob there (apart from the queues, that is.)

I want to install a new gas hob on my boat. Many domestic hobs seem to be cheaper than 'boat' hobs and come with flame failure devices as standard and lpg jets. Snag for me is that many also have 240v ignition. Can I disconnect this and light the burners manually? Is anyone aware of any other snags in simply going to Ikea and buying a cheap hob there (apart from the queues, that is.)

I have a cooker that has a 240V ignition and I never plugged it in. I light the burners etc manually with no trouble. I have no idea at all what one does if there is a fan oven attached (mine doesn't have one), but I doubt a job would be!

Just a small consideration. Will a domestic gas appliance work on Calor Gas without replacing/modifying the burners?

If you go down the domestic route it must have Flame Failure fitted because UK domestic appliance law does not specify this a lot of hobs don't have this feature to reduce costs.

I have seen hobs that use 240v modified to 12v using the small inverters used for shaver points.

Edited by Gary Peacock

If you go down the domestic route it must have Flame Failure fitted because UK domestic appliance law does not specify this a lot of hobs don't have this feature reduce costs.

I have seen hobs that use 240v modified to 12v using the small inverters used for shaver points.

IKEA tend to have flame failure devices - I persume this is because abroad has different requirements to here.

If you go down the domestic route it must have Flame Failure fitted because UK domestic appliance law does not specify this a lot of hobs don't have this feature to reduce costs.

Apparently the latest regs say that any gas appliance fitted into a flat must have flame failure devices fitted so new domestic hobs are generally ok now.

Hi There

Why do you not want the 240v ignitor?

Hi There

Why do you not want the 240v ignitor?

Could be in a position like me - the power runs are on the wrong side of the boat and just too much phaff to run a cable down the correct side for the cooker.

[edit as just noticed I couldn't spell...]

Edited by Chris J W

Well, most of the time I won't be on shore power, and there is no local 240v wiring and I only have a small, manually switched on inverter so if I can light it manually I shall be quite happy to do so. I'll have to check that the FFDs are thermocouples, though, and not some sort of A~C gizmos. Thanks for the info.

Could be in a position like me - the power runs are on the wrong side of the boat and just too much phaff to run a cable down the correct side for the cooker.

Same here - which is why I had to buy a small inverter (which cost less than one-tenth the price of the cooker)